Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by fvwazing
Are those crosswalks HIDDEN? Where I live they are clearly marked (in the interest of those pedestrians using them). If they are routinely overseen it makes perfect sense for the cops to sit next to them.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
deeggo wrote:@fvwazing just because it's the village of Weert, doesn't automatically make it disaster area. That'll make some unhappy residents ;-)
That was a roadclosure-benchmark some time ago: a big fire causing all streets up to 2km downwind to get closed, including a freeway. Roadclosure failed just as spectacular as the fire as 30 or 40 Wazers could not close any street at all.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
I can see REAL tracks made in the park, in the fields.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/ujahu8u7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/gy6u4apa.jpg

(2 bicycle shortcuts out of 14-16 leaving my hood)
So... would you expect to map this, then? Google does not know these, of course, and if any of you advocates even TRIED using Google's routes on a bike you would see the ridicule of it all.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/rynaju3y.jpg
(14min? More like 3 or 4 in RL)

I would say: first make Waze work the way it was promised 3 years ago - for cars.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Cross-bikes??? As I made the image of the trail next to the stairs, I just missed the opportunity to catch a mother with toddler in a seat, she was too fast. And no cross-bike involved, no helmets even. And no navigation too.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Gas-savings are an interesting idea but foremost it is a can of worms. Waze needs elevationdata for that (could be derived from gpsdata but with a huge errormargin) and a LOT of variables on the car. Cars with regenerative braking or hybrids have complete opposite characteristics from combustion engines, for instance. I know of not a single navigation that masters it.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Emergency response vehicles in most of the developed world use special gear which costs a ton and uses handcrafted maps (check http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/news.php?news=2222 for instance) and they are never going to give that up, for liability alone.

But Malaysia? Indonesia? Once the map has high quality for normal traffic a lot could be done, if a squad of ambulancedrivers or a firebrigade pick it up. I feel hesitant about putting another burden on Waze-staff for managing this and hope that an Emergency-Response-Vehicle-mode would create such weird routing at places that any driver trying it will do so only once. Or maybe the local champs should distribute such tokens? They are better situated for research on applicants.

Oh, and ERV are not just another mood. For this to work it also requires a different router. A special webpage for just tracking the different ERV's in a single city is also needed, so that dispatchers can see their vehicles located in real time. To get located by the dispatcher but not by the general public needs a client that sends its location in two different accuracies; and it would be nice if the ERV would show different on the map/get different routing as soon as the horn and lights are on ;`) ETA? 2023 at earliest.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Riamus wrote:Champs or high level editors have been commenting on it. That along with the time based turn restrictions are vehicle restrictions.

Or if you're asking about pedestrians and bicycles, Waze staff mentioned it in their post about the Google acquisition.
Yes, the google-acquisition. In their euphoria, they would have announced support for rollerskates, horsecarts, dogsleds, elephant rides, toboggan and rickshaws if they had thought of it.

For pedestrians and bicycles you need 3-4 times the amount of roads (in cities, at least). All that trouble for an additional 1-2% of users? Not in a long time, not as long as growth rates are in the double figures.
Expect vehicletypes that use a subset of the current roadnetwork, not a superset.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
ictag wrote: But my guess is that may have been the original reason for waze but that it's being increasingly used by pedestrians and cyclists because of the the cool new Facebook features. Particularly in Europe.
Alas, we will find them in the traffic accident statistics, like these:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... 1&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... t&safe=off

Waze will guide you into the fastest traffic BY DESIGN. Add to that a lowered level of awareness, induced by Facebook-usage...
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Does it? I am told it shows your friends going to the same destination, in the final stages of their trip.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1