Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by fvwazing
Waze is not for bicycling, and it will never be for bicycling. Didn't you read one bit of the comments in this thread?
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
"Not soon" then?. Remember, "soon" can mean "not even in four years". And yes, in the hype of the google adventure many things were promised, even bicycles. But do not hold your breath... we will be lucky if trucks, cabs and more are actually supported before this thread is one year old.

[edit]
Aw sh*t, this thread IS one year old.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Barneymiller wrote:I left the word respect out of my comment
Ah, and I thought you were asking for another Helloween-theme!
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by gadgetech3142
CBenson wrote:I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.
Samsung Note 2
We have the same situation (HOV/HOT lanes) in Houston on I-10, and they are adding it to US-290. We have HOV lanes all over town, most of which reverse direction depending on the time of day.

There are also a few major side roads that have center lanes that reverse direction depending on traffic and/or time of day. (yes, I know, this one should go on the Map forum, I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to warn people coming from the correct direction of hazards in that lane.)

gadgetech
gadgetech3142
Send a message

Post by goimir
Now that I've done some map editing, here's an idea for "truck mode"

Favor major roads. Don't use a road of a lower classification to get between two of a higher classification.

Also, maybe this belongs in the map editing forum, and maybe it's already addressed in the wiki, but there are lots of alleys given the same weight as actual streets. There are some alleys in Pittsburgh that are all of 10 feet wide. They're meant for wheeling your garbage can into and maybe dropping your groceries at the back door.
goimir
Send a message

Post by goimir
Most turns on major roads are OK. I can think of a few routes where "less turns" would actually be detrimental to a route. Where you have the old main street which runs along a river, for instance, which is heavily commercialized, vs taking the highways that go around the city. Something like 421 Main st, Jermyn, pa to 57 Robert St, Nanticoke, PA. There are no turns; it's a 35 mile straight shot. It would take you through every town ever and about 150 traffic lights. That's about 2 hours of driving, vs 45 minutes if you took the highway.
goimir
Send a message

Post by Gulasz
country - Poland
I use waze on motorbike, and usually I have totally different speed than car users,I think it will be very usefull to distinguish motorbikes and cars in your app.
Gulasz
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Here's an idea. It's a little bit crazy, but I think it may work:

Get 'private car' routing finished before jumping off on something new.

- Proper HOV support
- HOT lane support
- U-turns
- time restricted turns
- time restricted direction of travel
- differentiation between maintained gravel roads and 4x4 trails
- Ability to update incorrect GPS coordinates for addresses (since Bing takes forever, a small Waze hosted override database would work)

Most of these will affect any new type of vehicle routing you add as well. Let's get the bread and butter first before jumping to dessert.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by harling
Borgholio wrote:Sometimes Waze will take a zig-zag course through side streets because it believes it will be quicker than going a slightly longer way over primary streets. It doesn't factor in all the left turns and stop signs that slow things down.
Actually it does factor in turning delays... when that data is available. When/if you can afford to take the time, driving those suggested routes a few times will provide Waze with that information, and it will "learn" that taking those side-streets isn't such a bargain after all.

(This assumes there are no problems with the map--e.g., wrongly restricted turns, disconnected roads--along the better route.)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
syntax2600 wrote:
davipt wrote:So I guess the first thing to ask is a Waze mood for Police, so we can see you driving on the map and avoid you ;) (not kidding, a Police mood could make sense, ask it!)
I'd use a police mood. Why not?
In some jurisdictions, the police with whom Wazers concern themselves are more in the revenue business than the safety business (for whom case a "Police" mood would be self-defeating).
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.