Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Lilywusky1
I say, add mopeds. I drive a moped myself, and it drives almost as fast as cars are allowed to drive on normal roads, the difference is just 2 or 3 mph.
However, with our laws and such, a moped driver often has to use bicycle lanes, depending on the rules on that stretch of road. There's a bicycle tunnel on my way to work, and I use it, saves me a slow traffic light and such. I've tried adding the tunnel to the map, but it doesn't show up on the map editor, sadly. But yeah, mopeds should be added to the vehicles.
Lilywusky1
Send a message

Post by LucasKellermannn
Wow, this discussion already started in 2012 and vehicle category isn't already available to use...

I love Waze, as a salesman i use it every single day, but I drive a Van and unfortunately Waze has put me in very difficult situations several times. This is not about some bonus implementation, it is a serious need. The major part of gps offers this option, I personally believe that Waze development team should take this seriously. I don't want to sound rude, I'm saying it in a nice way. :)

About wich categories Waze should have, i would put like this:
1) Transport Vehicle
2) Car
3) By Walk / Bike

But inside the option "transport vehicle" i would suggest that Waze user set up the vehicle description like weight, height, length.. Just it. Let's be honest, creating much types of vehicles such as bus, truck, heavy truck, etc, would be impracticable to set it all in each street in map editor... :roll:

Car option would still the same and by walking could include routes trough parks, metro, etc.. (But not actually urgent).

Anyway and again, I just love Waze and I want to help to improve it as I can...
God bless you all!
Hugs!

Lucas K, - Brazil
LucasKellermannn
Send a message
Lucas Kellermann (AM - Médio Vale do Itajaí)
"Qualidade é melhor que quantidade"
"Enviado do meu forno-microondas usando Tapatalk"
https://s.waze.tools/c2s.png

Post by lucasmlessa
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesians love motorcycles as much as they love cellphones. So you can imagine the end of this story...

Waze here has a MAJOR problem which is the motorcycle users... Waze should have different algorithm for cars and motorcycles.

Motorcycles in Indonesia are in millions, much more than cars, and they drive much faster, making the waze average traffic speed always incorrect.

Those users also go on Waze Map Editor and make small little pave ways as drivable, also messing up with the whole system and drive directions. :x

Waze please HELP with a solution for this problem! :?
lucasmlessa
Send a message

Post by Machete808
Here's a UR about the issue, apparently from a trucker:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 933&zoom=5
CBenson wrote:
nepahxc wrote:WE NEED A TRUCK MODE! please.....
It is up to the waze editing community to add the truck restrictions to the waze map to make any such designation useful. There is a brief discussion here regarding which roads should be designated as prohibited to trucks. Feel free to use you experience and add your input there.
I'll direct him to the forum post CBenson mentioned.

Just to add: It's true that editors have to set the restrictions before the setting could be effective. Do we know that the setting iS ready to be deployed and is only waiting for us to do the restrictions? It's hard to know which of the many tasks editors have to do should get top priority. There's so much work to do on the map!
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by mirarkitty
Well, something to start with that needs to enter into the maps as soon as possible:

* Taxi mode - can take taxi lanes and shortcuts a lot in sweden - need map support
* Bus mode - same there (bus~=taxi+truck), and need map support
* Carpooling mode - may take special lanes as well (doesn't exist in sweden though)
* MC mode - they may bypass stuck traffic and mess up roads
* Truck mode - slow, messes up roads, might need permissions on roads on the map to pick the right roads
* Trailer mode - slow, messes up roads

Maybe a height/weight-of-vehicle with permissions set on roads for that.

Speaking of which, please add time-limited permissions on roads while you're on that ("7:30-22:00 only northbound")...
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by MJepson
I would love to have navigation for the motorcycle, based on how "nice" the roads are. I know there are maps for Garmin that have scored the roads on their view or on their curves (we love good curves). You can use these when just riding for fun and it calculates a route from A to B using nice roads, rather than the fastest ones.
I know this would be a lot of work to implement and to have wazers score the roads based on these criteria, but a man can dream!
MJepson
Send a message

Post by MMPDavidL
How about adding a mini van icon? I love my sonora gold entourage. I call it, 'The Golden Eagle' :)
MMPDavidL
Send a message

Post by MoarCats
A motorcycle option would be great to see. The live data regarding my speed shouldn't count, since in Thailand we are permitted to drive between cars that are stuck in epic traffic jams.

That being said, larger bikes DO get stuck in the traffic jams since they are too big to fit between the cars. Also, in some countries lane sharing is illegal, so motorcycles can offer legitimate data about traffic speed.

Maybe two options for motorcycles would work best: Motorcycle (lane-sharing disabled) and Motorcle (lane sharing enabled). The default could have lane-sharing disabled, but for those of use in places that allow it we could enable it. I love Waze, but I do feel my presence on the road screws up the data.
MoarCats
Send a message

Post by Mynios
Pacecar....
Mynios
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by ndscable
gadgetech3142 wrote:
Samsung Note 2
We have the same situation (HOV/HOT lanes) in Houston on I-10, and they are adding it to US-290. We have HOV lanes all over town, most of which reverse direction depending on the time of day.

There are also a few major side roads that have center lanes that reverse direction depending on traffic and/or time of day. (yes, I know, this one should go on the Map forum, I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to warn people coming from the correct direction of hazards in that lane.)

gadgetech
I have to second this. I'm sure this is being worked on but I too live in Houston and I-10 and some of our other highways have a few quirks with HOV lanes. For instance, depending on the time of day and day of the week, I-10's HOV lane on each side switches to being a toll lane. If we could have checks to state what days of the week and times to set the time of day that this happens would be extremely helpful to HOV drivers.
Also, I used to live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. They had an HOV lane on the north and south side of the bay that was designated as HOV during high traffic times of the day only (and day of the week, M-F). During all the rest of the time anyone, single passenger or not, could use the lane without penalty. This was also the case north of Hartford, CT on I-91.

While this would add a lot of flags to highway segments, Lvl 5 editors shouldn't have a problem handling this.
ndscable
Send a message