Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by OldGnome
fvwazing wrote:Bicycles would need so many extra connections, they would double the volume of the map where I live. All that trouble - to plan a trafficfree route for cyclists. They don't get stuck in traffic, anyway. Before they do get stuck in traffic they cut a corner over a boardwalk. Even if you managed to present them with a perfect route they would ignore it. (I know because I am a parttime cyclist myself). Not worth the trouble. Do not bother with bicycles until - well, until the last street has housenumbers (another way to say never).

Trucks would need only a handful of changes to existing roads to make them perfectly happy.
OK

I'm still fairly new here, but I can still see a way for bicycles to be added without a lot of the unnecessary data you are envisioning. The same restrictions for trucks (streets yes/no is the primary I can think of) can be duplicated for bicycles, so there is not a lot of additional coding required.

I am not recommending that Waze be turned into a cycling app. No, no and no. I am suggesting that the data from bicycles can be taken into consideration for motorists just as the truck data being discussed. There is another discussion regarding motorcycles that reflects this, too - make sure they don't corrupt the automotive data when they are inaccurately influencing the average speed of a segment.

That some motorcyclists and bicyclists choose to ignore the rules of the road, is actually immaterial - Waze doesn't do anything of the kind with autos, why other vehicle types? Here in the USA, most states mandate that bicyclists largely follow the automotive rules when it comes to riding on streets, obeying traffic signs, signalling, etc. That doesn't stop some of them from breaking those rules, just as traffic signs don't stop drivers from speeding or performing any manner of stupid human tricks on the road.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
fvwazing wrote:It may be different in the states - but DUTCH cyclists are notorious!
All the more reason to know where they are. ;) :lol:
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
fvwazing wrote:Dude, they are in front/left/right & on top of you.
Dang, I miss Europe.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by Olestas
+ Public transport mode, so it does not report wrong turns.

+ Ferry (road type) / Avoid ferry.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
Yep, no pedestrians or bicycles. They are already cluttering GPS points with walks through some places not driveable.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
Please people, just do not use waze with bikes or pedestrian. For now at least.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
CBenson wrote: It is up to the waze editing community to add the truck restrictions to the waze map to make any such designation useful. There is a brief discussion here regarding which roads should be designated as prohibited to trucks. Feel free to use you experience and add your input there.
When waze announces, that it will enable vehicle type selection in client, only then majority of community will start mapping restrictions for trucks or other vehicles. We already know what happened to house numbers.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by orbitc
davipt wrote:
syntax2600 wrote:I was going to suggest adding a police car / squad car.

Some of us Wazers drive those and rack up a ton of miles and map edits. and some of us even post our own police reports. :)
So I guess the first thing to ask is a Waze mood for Police, so we can see you driving on the map and avoid you ;) (not kidding, a Police mood could make sense, ask it!)
What about fireman? and EMT?
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by otarf
I drive a commercial standard light duty pickup truck in New York City, I am not allowed on many parkways and roadways in the NYC area, and I am constantly monitoring my route on Waze to make sure I'm not on these roadways because there is no commercial vehicle option, I love the Waze app, and would be so happy if there was a commercial vehicle option.

Thanks Marc
otarf
Send a message