Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by yrrabsille
HOV: This should be a Road Type in the drop-down menu of the editor or a checkbox. Then there could be a "Use HOV" setting. One of the problems with HOV's is that they're often "time/day sensitive" such as the one on 93 S going into Boston, but then there are ones like Rt 84 outside of Hartford, CT that are HOV all the time. Ideally, you would check the HOV box which would reveal the "Time Sensitive?" checkbox, which would reveal the Mon-Friday checkbox and the Morning and Evening time designations. It's a lot, but then again this IS a commuter app first and foremost.

Trucks/Buses/Commercial Vehicles: I think that there could be a "Commercial Vehicle Mode" setting, along with a "Commercial Vehicles Restricted" checkbox in the editor. Height and weight info would be way too much to keep accurately up to date.

Since HOV lanes are sort of made for buses too, they should not fall under any commercial vehicle restriction which is why I'd keep these two features separate.

Barry
yrrabsille
Send a message

Post by yrrabsille
Also, if time restrictions were at all possible, this would be a great feature for turn restrictions also. Many city streets have this.
yrrabsille
Send a message

Post by yrrabsille
AndyPoms wrote:Country: USA (but I think this list can apply to all)

Segment Properties: HOV restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to route qualifying vehicles on certain routes. In Connecticut, HOV lanes are restricted to 1) Passenger Vehicles with 2+ people (counting driver), 2) All Motorcycles, 3) All Buses (public, school & private). Restrictions vary from place to place & based on time of day/day of week (see above). Lower on my priority list because no one really uses the few we have in CT now - BUT this is probably top priority for may other areas.
I use the HOV in Connecticut all the time and it's messing with the traffic data because I'm probably flying right by you when you're stuck in traffic.

Barry
yrrabsille
Send a message

Post by yrrabsille
Someone at one time mentioned an "Other Vehicle" designation which would be good for anyone that might mess up traffic data. It could be used for School Buses, Motorcycles, Bicycles, Emergency Vehicles, etc. I think this would be a good idea for now. "Other Vehicles" would not generate any traffic data or effect the average speeds of roadways.

Since Waze is primarily a Commuter App, I think it's best to focus on completing that first. New features encourage carpooling and I think the next natural progression is fine-tuning HOV lane capabilities since it's directly related to commuting and carpooling.

After that, some simple features to make it appeal to commercial drivers, especially since they can/do contribute a tremendous amount of traffic data.

Barry
yrrabsille
Send a message

Post by yrrabsille
Long-haul trucks stay with the flow of traffic
yrrabsille
Send a message

Post by yrrabsille
Personally I think that the best way to solve this is to add more settings. HOV, commercial vehicle, etc. And then have the option to "save as vehicle 1". And then adjust your settings and "save this vehicle 2". For example, I might drive my car to work, or I might drive my motorcycle. And then when I get to work I drive a commercial vehicle. Just make it easy to switch between vehicles and people won't have to mess with the settings too much. Also, and this may already be true I don't know, if someone turns off the traffic data then it shouldn't collect traffic data on that person either. For example if they're riding a motorcycle.
yrrabsille
Send a message

Post by yurasik2000
Motorcycle vehicle type is badly needed here in South Korea, as all Freeways are forbidden for them. But it would be fine if only Freeways were not available. There are a lot of motorway segments starting suddenly, where you can hardly notice road sign (or sign is too late to avoid motorway).
In Korea when motorcyclist do plan a long trip, they carefully create road map in advance, as most navigation apps ignore motorcyclists and suggest forbidden road instead.
I would really be glad to have motorcycle mode in the client, and possibility to map forbidden segments in the map editor.
Thanks!
Yuri.
yurasik2000
Localizers
Localizers
Send a message