Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by jemay
1) Recreational Vehicle (RV), some roads are restricted and do not allowing RVs. Some roads and tunnels do not allow RVs.
2) Towing anything. (Car towing a trailer, RV towing a car/trailer, Pickup truck towing trailer, Truck (18 wheelers)....) Because in California you can only do 55mph while everybody else can go faster when posted. So time of ETA would change for anybody towing (because we are not allowed to drive over 55mph when towing)
3) In California, if the HOV lanes are in the center of the interstate, Trucks and towing vehicles can not be in the inside (Left) lanes or the dedicated center (of the freeway) lanes (i.e. 91 express lanes).
4) Trains. People are already riding the trains with Waze on and building roads (tracks :roll:)
5) Ferry routes. Currently we mark them as toll roads, but should be classified and noted as Ferry.

Notes:
Truck = 18 wheeler = semi = commercial truck,
Pickup truck = non commercial truck would equate to private car.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by JoelTurnerCool
Service vehicle. I drive a garbage truck that makes many stops. This makes the road glow because of a falsely slow speed.
JoelTurnerCool
Send a message

Post by joelw135
I would love to see bicycle and bicycle friendly routes. Many people commute by bicycle today and the number of recreational riders has increased.
joelw135
Send a message

Post by kar_lev
Hi There

How about pedestrian. It would be nice to use Waze when walking.
You'd need to take into account, times, sidewalks (or none) underground or bridge walkways
kar_lev
Send a message

Post by karl_db
Ireland:

I would like to see Bus / Taxi as an alternative. They both use bus lanes in Dublin particularly and will experience different traffic flows.
karl_db
Send a message

Post by khaytsus
A bicycle mode that does not contribute traffic data or errors would be nice, so only routing. Even cyclists sometimes need to know the shortest road path to a destination. And if in the future we had a "Bike Lane" attribute for roads, all the better.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by kio-13
I do totally agree with the idea of supporting bicycles.
In France there are a lot of bicycle lanes that are not necessarily close to streets or motoways and there are A LOT of users that like to use Waze while on their bikes.
Which gives us a lot of fake "map problems".
kio-13
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
France | kio-13

Post by krikketdoug
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in Illinois, USA there is a B-Class Truck class. (Maybe call it alternate truck, so it's not Ill specific?)

The Alt-Truck class is primarily used for things like pickups that are used like pickup trucks that want to carry over XX load...

I admit I haven't researched this within the last 10 years, but as an example...

A regular truck is banned from some side-roads, but a alt-truck wouldn't be IF the destination is within the no-truck zone, while regular trucks would be. (Im ignoring the subject of moving trucks due to questions of the legality of moving a truck into a non-truck zone to avoid having to hand cary a house's furniture...)

As an example, from what I understand, a pickup with a alt-truck plate would be forbidden on driving on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, IL, or Storrow Drive, in Boston, MA, it would be allowed on the side-streets.

So for a practical matter, I'd tie it into "Major Road" setting, and if forbidden there, forbid it across the board. If it's just tied into a street, allow the alt-truck to drive there.
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
Gerald_Snyman wrote:Country : South Africa
Types: Truck 18 Wheeler

Some user said why do Waze have to care about the input of truck drivers, because they are always on the road. Well, I'm a truck driver, driving mostly only local (I'm home every night) and sometimes I drive long distance (where I'm obviously not home). Waze is a wonderful app, and can help reduce the truck related accidents. I just don't understand why cars hate trucks. When you have Waze to help the cars warn about slow trucks, and Waze help trucks to find routes that will be easier for them, and avoid to unnecessarily slow down speedy traffic. Face it, cars need trucks. We carry the food the cars need. It is faster in the shops by truck, than by train. Please, bear with trucks, and help with ideas to make Waze work for us all :-)
As another truck driver (newly minted) I can say that most car drivers don't hate truckers. On the other hand, they do hate being slowed by trucks...
In SA we have a compulsory STOP for the truck over 5 metric ton Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). Before that stop sign is a dedicated lane for the struck. Usually a stead bed is at that stop, for in case the truck fails to stop. It would be great to have a COMPULSORY STOP & STEAD BED notification in TRUCK MODE.
Which is why I've advocated for a "Alternative truck" category. You have 18 wheelers, and you have smaller box-trucks. And then you have pickup-trucks that have "truck" plates that follow yet other laws. I don't expect Waze to recognize all the differences, particularly when it comes to gross vehicle weight.

I'm in Illinois, USA. The laws are the same throughout my country, but how many countries does Waze operate in? I'd love to see mandatory rest stops, but I don't think that's reasonable... To do so locally would require 4 different truck classifications. Who knows how much in the rest of the world?
Some WEIGH BRIDGE is 24 hours open and require trucks to always enter the primary weigh bridge, to determine if the truck needs to be pulled over for an official weight. Thus, it would be nice if Waze can tell the driver to keep onto the bridge lane.
Agreed! Now if we can get Weigh station/bridge added as a landmark...
While in truck mode, Waze build statistics for trucks, the same as with cars, with the exception, that Waze can warn speeding traffic of a slow vehicle ahead, instead of the truck case a traffic jam in Waze. Waze can navigate trucks on routes with less hills. A long drive time on a segment can be translated as lots of hills. Thus, it may be possible to find a 10 km detour, which should be faster than the slow short route with steep hills.
All ready in the works, if I understand correctly.
When a truck stops on a long segment, Waze should ask the driver if it's a place to stop and rest. If yes, then mark a 50 meter radius. Over time, when a driver gets tired, then he can ask Waze where the nearest stop spot is. As a driver, at night, I often overshoot a place to pull over, and I can not just stop a 56 ton vehicle in 30 meter, then reverse ... I want Waze to add that as an intermediate stop. It should help reduce drivers falling asleep.
If a truck driver doesn't shut off waze when making long distance trips. I'd ask why not. Or are all trips long-distance with no stops at red lights?
krikketdoug
Send a message