Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by fvwazing
Vehicletype: "Other vehicle" as a catchall for everything not foreseen. "Other" vehicles do not generate traffic/maperrors while they move around.

Vehicletype: cab/taxi
Roadtypeflag: taxi allowed. Taxis (with permit) are allowed to drive thru certain pedestrian zones. So - will a "pedestrian boardwalk" with taxis enabled be routable for taxis? Oh, and this is not allowed during shopping-times so time dependency please.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Please, do NOT add cyclists and pedestrians to the set. Any new vehicles should be able to drive (a subset of) the car-network.

(I previously argued that cabs should be able to navigate the pedestrian zone at certain times. That could be done with other types than pedestrian boardwalk.)
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
TurnpikeWarrior wrote: I think the most logical solution is to disregard data from motorcyclists.
Not necessarily so.
If a MC is slow it could generate a jam. If it is faster than a (previously reported) jam it could be ignored. And every type of vehicle should have its own speedprofile for every segment as to not mess up speeddata for other vehicle types (until enough MC-data is collected the car-data applies).
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Vehicletype: emergency response vehicle (ambulance, firetruck)

In all(?) developed countries these vehicles are equipped with expensive custom-made GPS-units that rely on finetuned maps. In most developing countries this is not the case, and Waze could help them out. This type of vehicle would be able to drive anywhere a road is without triggering maperrors or clearing trafficjams. In handselected streets they could be allowed to drive AGAINST traffic (sirenes and flashlight assumed to be on). As an added extra they could be made visible flashing on the map and Wazers in their path could be warned to give way a minute in advance. (Yeah, I am awake - just daydreaming here).
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
OldGnome wrote:
fvwazing wrote:Please, do NOT add cyclists and pedestrians to the set. Any new vehicles should be able to drive (a subset of) the car-network.
How exactly are bicycles different in this discussion from long-haul trucks? Restrictions on where they can drive, potential impact to the average speed on the chosen roadway, etc. I would consider it an advantage while driving to know that both are on my route.
Bicycles would need so many extra connections, they would double the volume of the map where I live. All that trouble - to plan a trafficfree route for cyclists. They don't get stuck in traffic, anyway. Before they do get stuck in traffic they cut a corner over a boardwalk. Even if you managed to present them with a perfect route they would ignore it. (I know because I am a parttime cyclist myself). Not worth the trouble. Do not bother with bicycles until - well, until the last street has housenumbers (another way to say never).

Trucks would need only a handful of changes to existing roads to make them perfectly happy.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
It may be different in the states - but DUTCH cyclists are notorious!
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
OldGnome wrote:
fvwazing wrote:It may be different in the states - but DUTCH cyclists are notorious!
All the more reason to know where they are. ;) :lol:
Dude, they are in front/left/right & on top of you.

An american astonished about dutch cyclists: http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

"This particular 3-way corner is INCREDIBLY busy with bicycles, cars, and pedestrians, and the traffic pattern is completely random. There don't seem to be any clearly defined rules of engagement -> from all directions bicycles and cars just whiz into the intersection and deal with whatever happens the best they can."
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
WeeeZer14 wrote: For example, bicycles. We know people use Waze on bicycles, so if we have a bicycle option for them to pick, I bet they are more likely to do so. Especially if it makes their icon into a bicycle ;)

They don't need to know the details that it behaves the same as if they picked "other" and we and Waze don't need to do anything beyond setting up the "other" option.

And if sometime in the future we actually do support bicycles in a more complex manner, then the backend can change and the client already is set to bicycle.
Yeah, give them an option "bicycle" and an icon. Even if this doesn't do a thing, in every town you will have 2 or 3 fanatic cyclists that will take that as an encouragement to map cycleroads. These 2 or 3 are the only customers waze will win by this - and probably the last customers, too.

I have often scolded Amsterdam cyclists for screwing up directions. I seriously thought that I would find hordes of them - hey, Amsterdam is the bicycle capital of the world. Careful study of the damage and patterns over the last weeks shows that all the damage by cycles in Amsterdam comes from a handful. I estimate now that far less than 5% of rides are bicycles. That is enough to screw up the map every couple of weeks and that is about half of the gain Waze can get from supporting cyclists in Amsterdam.

Google now supports bicycles. I looked at their map in my hood, and it is far from correct for cycles. It would take about twice as much change to do it right. All that for the benefit of a handful.... do the math.

Trucks and cabs, on the other hand, only need a handful of changes to existing roads (mostly) to make them completely happy. They spend all their working hours in traffic, adding benefit for Waze.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
There is a 60:1 chance that not the busdriver but a passenger is wazing. Just saying.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
p1l0t wrote:I would absolutely use a bicycle mode. We already can designate bicycle/walking paths so why not allow navigation for them in a mode that isn't going give bad data to car drivers. Plus how cool would it be to see a little bicycle wazer going by on the map. I use this app for avoiding traffic and road hazards (or plain navigation if I don't know the way somewhere) but a bicycle mode would add additional functionality for me. I'm 30 years old and getting kinda fat I try to ride my bike like every other day because it's helping me get back in shape. Plus the town I live in is HUGE on bike riding so it would get mapped for bicycles in a hurry. Also many other navigation apps to offer these modes so it will help make sure Waze keeps on crushing the competition. :mrgreen:
Why not??? Because it means tripling/quadrupling the density of the map without adding ANY value for the principle users - car drivers. Worse even, the added complexity will degrade the map beyond usage.

As you say, many other navigation apps do it. Helping out cyclists would not be a unique selling-point for Waze; detailed traffic-info for cars is.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1