Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby JoseAGPal » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Walk: I think some times we could use to go from our car to our final destination walking.

I think it will be very easy to do: now we actually have pedestrian boardwalks type roads.

The only thing to do is to ignore forbidden directions and forbid using highways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AREA MANAGER: Comunidad de Madrid

Waze 3.7.8.0 // iPhone 5 iOS 7.1
JoseAGPal

Postby Karl_db » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:04 am

Ireland:

I would like to see Bus / Taxi as an alternative. They both use bus lanes in Dublin particularly and will experience different traffic flows.
Karl_db

Postby khaytsus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 am

A bicycle mode that does not contribute traffic data or errors would be nice, so only routing. Even cyclists sometimes need to know the shortest road path to a destination. And if in the future we had a "Bike Lane" attribute for roads, all the better.
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
ATT LG G2 (AOKP 4.3)
Nexus 7 (Rooted, Stock 4.4 Kit Kat)
Samsung Galaxy Note (i717 AT&T; AOKP 4.3.1 Jellybean)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby kriimsilm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 am

no pedestrians - too much trash anyway
no trucks - truck drivers will not insert restrictions needed, they always on road!
no bikers - they drive as it is possible, you cant use their tracks for twice :twisted:
YES for train mode - recording OFF, navigation OFF!

Of course there is good to have at least one "others" mode for people, who want use Waze without car! Speed data collecting off for them and no recording allowed and maybe navigation off too, to avoid walkers from german highways.
kriimsilm

Postby kriimsilm » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:45 am

There was many funny ideas starting from tuk-tuk bikes and ending with spaceship, I liked them a much. :D Anyway I suggest keep Waze map simple and clear! If there is power for software development - we have lot of good ideas in Waze forum.

IRL case: Accident on freeway, traffic jam and what did truck drivers? They tried to use smaller alternative roads, but as they cannot drive on ice and snow, they blocked roads and collapsed all rerouting system for normal cars. Trucks just cannot drive on snow and ice if they do not have winter tires (M+S)! Of course situation in countries is different, but s-t happens. Truck routing is not easy!

Please remind also that 99% of new trucks have their own navigation systems from factory!
kriimsilm

Postby krikketdoug » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:15 am

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in Illinois, USA there is a B-Class Truck class. (Maybe call it alternate truck, so it's not Ill specific?)

The Alt-Truck class is primarily used for things like pickups that are used like pickup trucks that want to carry over XX load...

I admit I haven't researched this within the last 10 years, but as an example...

A regular truck is banned from some side-roads, but a alt-truck wouldn't be IF the destination is within the no-truck zone, while regular trucks would be. (Im ignoring the subject of moving trucks due to questions of the legality of moving a truck into a non-truck zone to avoid having to hand cary a house's furniture...)

As an example, from what I understand, a pickup with a alt-truck plate would be forbidden on driving on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, IL, or Storrow Drive, in Boston, MA, it would be allowed on the side-streets.

So for a practical matter, I'd tie it into "Major Road" setting, and if forbidden there, forbid it across the board. If it's just tied into a street, allow the alt-truck to drive there.
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
krikketdoug

Postby leocylau » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 pm

1 - Truck (1st priority):
WME to provide choices of road type: Weak bridge/narrow road/low bridge...
2 - Bus (2nd priority):
WME to proivde choices of road type: Bus lane/no car lane...
3 - Train (no necessary)
4 - Bicycle/walk (NO):
The recent map is already complicated. We can have it in the future but it's better to have an other bicycle map using other WME.
Vehicle types will give us some benefit but just wonder it will cause routing problem as Toll road does :?
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM
Motorola Razr i
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby leocylau » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Volum1 wrote:Are there any news about putting on a road a "weight limit"? In my country (Estonia), there are many cities, that can't allow trucks above 8 tonne or so. That idea, in my opinion, is brilliant.

+1
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM
Motorola Razr i
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby LilianeWusky » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 pm

I say, add mopeds. I drive a moped myself, and it drives almost as fast as cars are allowed to drive on normal roads, the difference is just 2 or 3 mph.
However, with our laws and such, a moped driver often has to use bicycle lanes, depending on the rules on that stretch of road. There's a bicycle tunnel on my way to work, and I use it, saves me a slow traffic light and such. I've tried adding the tunnel to the map, but it doesn't show up on the map editor, sadly. But yeah, mopeds should be added to the vehicles.
LilianeWusky

Postby Magnum_26 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 am

How about a little person for when walking, and a Train one that follows the train routes? :D

Also can you add in a black car that isn't a smart car? I've got a black Fiesta (new style) add one of them for me? 8-)
Magnum_26

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App