Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby Riamus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 am

Champs or high level editors have been commenting on it. That along with the time based turn restrictions are vehicle restrictions.

Or if you're asking about pedestrians and bicycles, Waze staff mentioned it in their post about the Google acquisition.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 am

It wasn't that post by them. I'll look for it. It's the same post that mentioned adding speed limits. And yes, I know it's not in beta and will likely be a long way down the road. Just saying that they said it was at least planned at some point.

EDIT:
Ok, it took a little work, but I found it. Here is the post from shirlig that comments on adding walking and biking to Waze. See list item #3. Now, this is obviously just a goal and may or may not ever be fully added. It's too soon to know, but it is at least on the table. As far as making it less work to add all of the walking and biking areas, I think Waze should consider adding checkboxes to street segments allowing you to mark a check if a sidewalk is present as well as mark a check if bicycles are allowed. That would save having to add a ton of sidewalks and bike lanes to the map that follow the roads. In short, it would save a LOT of work. Then, all that is left is adding paths that do not follow roads. Just a thought. And I think we'll find that there are a lot of walking and biking enthusiasts who would put in the time to get their trails mapped in Waze even if they have no interest in mapping roads. And in some countries or some areas of countries, you may even find more editors for biking/walking than for driving. And though it's a long way down the road, I'd also suggest that Waze separate walking/biking trails from the road layer so that editors can hide roads and still see the trails or hide trails and still see the roads. It will make it far easier to edit without needing to see everything at once.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:53 pm

fvwazing wrote:Waze is not for bicycling, and it will never be for bicycling. Didn't you read one bit of the comments in this thread?

Don't say never. Waze has specifically said that they are considering adding bicycle and walking options in the future. It's true that they may change their mind and it could end up never happening, but they did say that. If they said it, then it is at least on the table for consideration. And by adding vehicle types to Waze, it's actually very easy from that point to make it so Waze can be used for bicycling and walking without it affecting traffic speed data. In fact, it would be a good thing for that very reason. Waze could consider adding all of those walkways and paths, but that isn't necessarily a requirement. They could just put in a bicycle or pedestrian vehicle type that does not affect speed data and leave it at that. It wouldn't even require much coding beyond what is done for adding other vehicle types. The coding that would be needed would be if they want to map all walking/biking paths, but as I said, that isn't even really necessary unless they wanted to do so.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:35 pm

fvwazing wrote:"Not soon" then?. Remember, "soon" can mean "not even in four years". And yes, in the hype of the google adventure many things were promised, even bicycles. But do not hold your breath... we will be lucky if trucks, cabs and more are actually supported before this thread is one year old.

[edit]
Aw sh*t, this thread IS one year old.

Right. It isn't likely to be anytime soon. I was just pointing out that we don't know what they are going to decide to do and to say it will never happen is a good way to be wrong. :)
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby rsouthern70 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 am

Road Type: highways with HOV lane

Does Waze identify the difference in the traffic flows between HOV and non-HOV traffic? If not I think the higher speed from the HOV lane is throwing off the road segment average speed and arrival time at destination. Based on my use of Waze I believe it doesn't differentiate. At least in the SF Bay Area, the arrival time is always 5-10 minutes optimistic, and that's with highway travel (so no variable traffic light delays).
rsouthern70

Postby shawndoc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Here's an idea. It's a little bit crazy, but I think it may work:

Get 'private car' routing finished before jumping off on something new.

- Proper HOV support
- HOT lane support
- U-turns
- time restricted turns
- time restricted direction of travel
- differentiation between maintained gravel roads and 4x4 trails
- Ability to update incorrect GPS coordinates for addresses (since Bing takes forever, a small Waze hosted override database would work)

Most of these will affect any new type of vehicle routing you add as well. Let's get the bread and butter first before jumping to dessert.
California, USA - OC/LA/SB/Riverside L5 Country Editor
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shellshock2872 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:30 pm

That would be nice, I have been trying to find the where you make suggestions or vote on others ideals
shellshock2872

Postby shellshock2872 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:12 am

Where can I get the beta
shellshock2872

Postby shellshock2872 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 am

I am a cdl driver I know what to look for
shellshock2872

Postby shellshock2872 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:45 am

We have that tooo