Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby shellshock2872 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:45 am

We have that tooo
shellshock2872

Postby Sigmun » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:55 am

Motorcycle mode : different traffic and time computation (all roads doesn't take the same time by car and by motorbike). In France, usable roads are the same for motorcycle and car.
cheers

Wazing on iPhone App... (as sigmun84)
Sigmun

Postby sk2380 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Unholy wrote:Hi folks,

We need your help:

Currently there is only one vehicle type in Waze - Private car.
All navigation methods in Waze are currently designated for the use of drivers who use private cars only.
Well... We're working on exciting stuff here at Waze HQ, but we need your help!

- Which types of vehicles should be added to Waze's client? (i.e truck, 18 wheelers, scooters etc.)
- which types of navigation would you like to see? ( HOV lanes, truck roads only etc.)

We're waiting to hear you all!

* Please elaborate as possible and state your country.

Ori

Type of vehicle: scooter(2 wheelers)
Type of navigation: only 2 wheelers road.

For example I am attaching a permalink: https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... TTTTTTTTFT

In above you can see there is a bridge named as Z Bridge which is just for 2 wheelers.

Regards

Sk2380.
Image Image
CM FOR Image
Social Media Expert-iPhone Expert-Translator(Hindi)
iphone 5 iOS 6.1.2 Waze : 3.6
sk2380

Postby skbun » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:10 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:For the more common options we don't want to deal with fully supporting, just have them be pointers to the "Other vehicle" option that gets its speed ignored.

For example, bicycles. We know people use Waze on bicycles, so if we have a bicycle option for them to pick, I bet they are more likely to do so. Especially if it makes their icon into a bicycle ;)

They don't need to know the details that it behaves the same as if they picked "other" and we and Waze don't need to do anything beyond setting up the "other" option.

YES YES YES. I think at this early stage - especially because the S.O.P. in the United states is to specifically disconnect bike and walking trails from the driving roads, the idea at this stage should be to get faulty data away from private driving - and that means giving users the option to enjoy nav, map issue reporting, incident reporting, or reporting gas prices, while not accepting their speed data in the context of private vehicles.

It looks like a feature, quacks like a feature, and mostly lets Waze's intelligent speed routing get smarter.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:07 am

jcluth wrote:
boodieman72 wrote:Another vote for truck routes. Just think off all the data Waze could get with a truck drivers using it.

I think they already are. I drove a thousand miles through OH, IN, IL, and MO in the middle of the night a few days ago and passed several fellow Wazers...and the only nearby vehicles were semis. In fact, I'd estimate that at least 1 out of every 10 trucks I encountered seemed to appear with a Waze avatar somewhere in the vicinity, and a few truckers I've seen on the forums here have said they keep Waze up for info on upcoming hazards (and likely cops, too).

(researchresarchresearch)
A California truck regional travel map: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/truck ... ap-d02.pdf
If California is any indication, a truck route is much more complicated than a checkbox, and not a meaningful bit of data for us to attempt to map - truck route definitions include 'national routes', 'regional routes', 'legal within standards', and 'not advised'. This level of detail allowing or forbidding certain kinds of trucks is way beyond the scope we can reasonably do, and it won't help a truck driver do what they already do without doublechecking and mapping the endpoints in advance anyway, IMHO.

Waze has a well deserved reputation of being 'poor in rural areas' because the routing engine will prefer 'minor highways and above' at sufficiently long distances, and when the only roads 20 miles in any direction are 'streets', bounded by Interstates, Waze has...trouble figuring out which road it really ought to pick. I can also find numerous examples of routes considered arterials that aren't contiguous and so they can't even be routed through. I think the best way we can help trucks navigate is not by trying to figure out where they can travel, but to figure out where ANY vehicle can travel by classifying roads according to Functional Classification. For California, that's here: http://dot.ca.gov/hq/tsip/hseb/crs_maps/index.php - and every state has them. They give relative guidance to whether a given street should be a primary street, minor highway, or major - and such routes should be checked for continuity and no turn restrictions from one side to the other. While subject to some interpretation, a 'street' needs no interpretation - it won't be routed to, ever, when the distance between A and B is great enough.

If we want to do anything to select 'trucks' as a vehicle type, I think the only thing we really need to do is say that one, speed data may or may not be useful for them, and two, trucks shouldn't help generate 'Most users ignored the suggested route' URs, because they'll often have reasons for that not related to a map error.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:31 am

Borgholio wrote:For the love of God, please bring back "minimize turns"! That's the one navigation feature I want to see above all else. Nothing is more annoying than seeing Waze plot a zigzag pattern through side streets instead of the (more sensible) route of taking primary streets with a minimum of turns and intersections.

Just for sanity, is the area you're talking about properly populated with primary streets, etc.? Waze doesn't necessarily know a primary street is one unless it's been typed that way in the editor...

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby slandrum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote: In the future, selecting a vehicle type (not likely the same as the icon) is supposed to avoid roads which don't restrict that type of vehicle.

I hope that they avoid roads that do restrict those vehicles and route on roads that don't!

I know, it's just a simple typo. :)
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby slandrum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 pm

For clarity, HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle. We used to call them carpool lanes, now they are HOV lanes.

High occupancy is somewhat of a misnomer, near where I live it usually only requires 2 or more people in the vehicle (not exactly what I'd call high occupancy). Some places require 3 or more people in the vehicle to use the lanes.

Some vehicles get exemptions to allow their use with a single occupant (hybrid and all electric sometimes qualify, buses and motorcycles are usually allowed as well). Two seaters are sometimes allowed in an HOV 3 lane with 2 people.

People cheat a lot, and the cops definitely watch for and will ticket when you don't have the required number of people in the car.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby speedyranger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

i like to see the truck mode :mrgreen:
speedyranger

Postby sporotrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:34 pm

In Brazil we have bus and taxi exclusive lanes. And we have also some lanes restricted for trucks over a certain size/weight. That would be nice to have. A pedestrian choice would also be nice, since we already have the option to create "pedestrian boardwalk" roads in the editor.
[Belo Horizonte/MG]
sporotrix

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App