Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:21 pm

DaJoNel wrote:Location: USA
Navigation type: Unpaved road (well-maintained, frequently-used gravel)

We've asked for this to be a checkbox several times. Please see local guidelines (by state) for more info on how to type these roads. For example in CT all unpaved roads are typed as "Dirt Road/4x4 Trail" (as long as a sedan can drive on the road), however in Louisiana "Dirt Road/4x4 Trail" is used more for roads that a sedan can't drive on.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:46 pm

DaJoNel wrote:This distinction is worthless because the road type appears as little more than a walking trail in the client.
It actually effects routing based on client settings.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bedo2991 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Italy
I support Truck mode (with a "No truck"/"Truck allowed" flag like the toll one). If you want to do thing in a scalable way you may add "Size limitations" that can be set in the editor (no Campers, Truck, Vans, Buses) and in the client.
Include Taxy/Bus/Emergency Service and add another type of street that can be taken by these drivers only. Moreover don't generate Map Problems, automatic traffic reports and don't gather GPS traces while in this mode.
Francesco
Italian Country Manager
ImageImageImageImage ↖Italian docs - Unlock Requests
"Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in heaven has in store" - Les Misérables
bedo2991
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby bigdragon26 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:01 am

syntax2600 wrote:
davipt wrote:
syntax2600 wrote:I was going to suggest adding a police car / squad car.

Some of us Wazers drive those and rack up a ton of miles and map edits. and some of us even post our own police reports. :)

So I guess the first thing to ask is a Waze mood for Police, so we can see you driving on the map and avoid you ;) (not kidding, a Police mood could make sense, ask it!)

It's not a bad idea at all. I personally like the idea of creating a police awareness. If people slow down and potentially create an opportunity for a decrease in crashes and what not I'm all for it.

I'd use a police mood. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of the police awareness and slow down etc. But it would be simpler if we would just slow down in general and we would save lives and gas money at the same time.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4
ImageImageImage
I can help you in English, Je peux vous aider en Francais, Los puedo ayudar en Español
bigdragon26

Postby bigdragon26 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:54 am

I just finished reading the thread. (good for me (ha ha)) ;-)
I have made a post once about roads I can't drive. I'm an HVAC technician and I have compressed gas cylinders in my truck (ford E250 small truck) but in my province I have a couple roads I can't use. It would be nice if we could tell waze client app what type of vehicule we are driving. So when I'm driving the compagnie truck I can set it to my work vehicule and my normal car for the rest of the time.

Thanks

BD

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4
ImageImageImage
I can help you in English, Je peux vous aider en Francais, Los puedo ayudar en Español
bigdragon26

Postby boodieman72 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Another vote for truck routes. Just think off all the data Waze could get with a truck drivers using it.
boodieman72

Postby Borgholio » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 pm

For the love of God, please bring back "minimize turns"! That's the one navigation feature I want to see above all else. Nothing is more annoying than seeing Waze plot a zigzag pattern through side streets instead of the (more sensible) route of taking primary streets with a minimum of turns and intersections.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby Borgholio » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:39 am

skbun wrote:Just for sanity, is the area you're talking about properly populated with primary streets, etc.? Waze doesn't necessarily know a primary street is one unless it's been typed that way in the editor...

Nope, I'm talking about many areas that are fairly typical...primary streets forming a big grid with smaller side streets inside. Sometimes Waze will take a zig-zag course through side streets because it believes it will be quicker than going a slightly longer way over primary streets. It doesn't factor in all the left turns and stop signs that slow things down.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby CBenson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:55 am

petervdveen wrote:HOV is some kind of toll road, right?
How many meters is between the normal road and this HOV road?

Not normally. Normally it is simply a minimum restriction on the number of occupants of the vehicle. The theory being that there will be less pollution and less congestion with this incentive to carpool. Separation between a HOV lane and the normal road varies from the width of a painted stripe to tens of meters.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App