Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby Suik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 am

I think adding trucks to waze is fine - lot of them on roads (also at night). But I think there should be then a second separate drop-down menu, or an "on/off" button in the future in WME, as a parameter for a segment, to set separate conditions for routing, based on profile(?) chosen - could be applied to HOV lanes as well maybe. And then it would require also specification of truck-restriction for that segment (speed, driveable height, turn restriction, overtaking restriction, weight, dangerous load, etc.)

And so far I still say NO to bicycles, pedestrians. The usual GPS modules in phones in big cities IMHO can't fix your position with such a precision, that waze could for 100% distinguish whether you are on the road or pedestrian boardwalk which is right next to it. (plus imagine the fun with tons of segments with mixed driveability and weird routing during mapdate days - I hope many of us here already experienced and know what I'm talking about)
As somebody mentioned here emergency cars - their data would mess up the data from the jam created by "private cars" (if it all won't be profile-based). Honestly, for emergency vehicles drivers waze can only be a navigation app., they don't profit from other benefits, as they "can ignore" jams, red lights, police traps :D. And I don't believe they'll be reporting something during an emergency drive to an accident (which will be already reported by other wazers anyway :) ).

(Country is in my info :) )
BA-SVK & surroundings AreaManager, Soc. Med. XP
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V Exception+HTC One S, stock Android 4.0.4, waze 3.6.0.0
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko
Suik

Postby Suik » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Guys don't want to disappoint you somehow with the possible police mood to be available, to be seen on map, but with the avg. refresh of client of 1 - 2 minutes, would it make sense to see, where the car was minutes ago? It would require a lot of data traffic, to display the position in realtime :)
BA-SVK & surroundings AreaManager, Soc. Med. XP
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V Exception+HTC One S, stock Android 4.0.4, waze 3.6.0.0
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko
Suik

Postby syntax2600 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I was going to suggest adding a police car / squad car.

Some of us Wazers drive those and rack up a ton of miles and map edits. and some of us even post our own police reports. :)
syntax2600

Postby syntax2600 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:32 am

davipt wrote:
syntax2600 wrote:I was going to suggest adding a police car / squad car.

Some of us Wazers drive those and rack up a ton of miles and map edits. and some of us even post our own police reports. :)

So I guess the first thing to ask is a Waze mood for Police, so we can see you driving on the map and avoid you ;) (not kidding, a Police mood could make sense, ask it!)

It's not a bad idea at all. I personally like the idea of creating a police awareness. If people slow down and potentially create an opportunity for a decrease in crashes and what not I'm all for it.

I'd use a police mood. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
syntax2600

Postby thrmphrsy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 am

I would like to see an "EV" type. I'll often choose routes which avoid hills to extend my range: this is something completely ignored by Waze at present. For all the emphasis on saving gas, I would expect to see an option to avoid steep hills as this leads to unnecessary fuel expenses (route A: 19 minutes with a huge hill gets priority over route B: 20 minutes of nearly flat travel).

Other options in EV mode would be the display of charging stations, perhaps from another network such as PlugShare or ReCargo. Setting a range limit for navigation could warn about going beyond the limit of energy stored in the battery for purely electric vehicles without a backup generator.

USA, PNW
thrmphrsy

Postby TonyG-UK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am

Here's what I wrote in Feb relating to this subject.

I think having set vehicle types is a mistake, you should have vehicle profiles and allow the user to define what the vehicles attributes are (weight, height, width, taxi/bus etc.). Then allow the user to have multiple profiles which they can select depending upon which vehicle they are currently driving. ETA scaling factor could then be automatically calculated per vehicle.

Similarly, WME should then allow attributes to be set on segments (width/height/weight restrictions, bus/taxi lanes). Handling turn restrictions for different attributes would need to be handled carefully, but isn't that difficult.
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby TonyG-UK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 am

:twisted: It would be nice if you implemented this properly, unlike the Petrol Prices feature :twisted:
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK
Beta tester
Beta tester

Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby top_gun_de » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Time-of-Day-Restrictions. There is at least one one-way in Hamburg which changes its direction over the day, and there are a couple of streets which are forbidden during a part of the day.

Best regards,

Detlev

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD
AM Region Hannover, CM Deutschland (Germany), Coordinator Germany, Global Champ

Wiki Deutschland | Straßen und Orte benennen D | Karte bearbeiten | Editorbedienung
top_gun_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby top_gun_de » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 am

Well, there are bikes, and then there are bikes. These ways are just fine for a cross-bike, but not for an ATB or a standard city-bike. They serve their purpose: Everyone expects a different thing from bike-ways, just like a truck driver has different expectations of car-navigation from the driver of a limousine.

Best regards,

Detlev
AM Region Hannover, CM Deutschland (Germany), Coordinator Germany, Global Champ

Wiki Deutschland | Straßen und Orte benennen D | Karte bearbeiten | Editorbedienung
top_gun_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby torone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:22 am

police/firefigther/ambulance
torone

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App