Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby karl_db » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:04 am

Ireland:

I would like to see Bus / Taxi as an alternative. They both use bus lanes in Dublin particularly and will experience different traffic flows.
karl_db

Postby davidg666 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 am

Karl_db wrote:Ireland:

I would like to see Bus / Taxi as an alternative. They both use bus lanes in Dublin particularly and will experience different traffic flows.

I'd second this, but just for taxis (if a bus driver doesn't know his route and is using Waze (or any GPS app) to route, then we're all in trouble :) ) - here in Dublin, taxis are allowed to use bus lanes and bus routes, so they'll typically go faster than normal traffic. There are also some roads that are one way only for cars and two-way for buses and taxis - so we get system-generated map errors caused by taxi drivers using Waze to go what looks to Waze like the wrong way up a one-way street.

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby fvwazing » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 am

There is a 60:1 chance that not the busdriver but a passenger is wazing. Just saying.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby HonzaCzech » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:04 am

Bay Area, CA

Motorcycle mode

Today i was riding my motorcycle from work (hwy237/Great America) to Race St. at San Jose. I could have went thru Hwy 101-Hwy87-hwy260-race street (10 min max, even in traffic), it was guiding me thru Santa Clara streets to avoid 101.
I can go thru traffic without problems, and I am using waze for accident reports, possible police radar an other conditions on the road, but I am not very interested in traffic since I am all of the time in the carpool lane going 50-60mph while others go 20-30mph.

So motorcycle mode would be pretty cool

Thank you waze
HonzaCzech

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 am

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but unless those "dedicated" lanes are at least 150 ft (50 m) away from any other lanes moving in the same direction, limits on cell phone location accuracy would prevent it from working right. As such, speed metrics are probably gathered from both lane types (bus/HOV vs. regular) and aggregated together for an average (read: expected) speed of the whole road.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.3.2 / Waze 4.6
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby foxitrot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:57 am

An optional segment slope parameter or a "too steep" checkbox and corresponding client preference might be necessary for some vehicle types.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby yrrabsille » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 am

Personally I think that the best way to solve this is to add more settings. HOV, commercial vehicle, etc. And then have the option to "save as vehicle 1". And then adjust your settings and "save this vehicle 2". For example, I might drive my car to work, or I might drive my motorcycle. And then when I get to work I drive a commercial vehicle. Just make it easy to switch between vehicles and people won't have to mess with the settings too much. Also, and this may already be true I don't know, if someone turns off the traffic data then it shouldn't collect traffic data on that person either. For example if they're riding a motorcycle.
yrrabsille

Postby Suik » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Guys don't want to disappoint you somehow with the possible police mood to be available, to be seen on map, but with the avg. refresh of client of 1 - 2 minutes, would it make sense to see, where the car was minutes ago? It would require a lot of data traffic, to display the position in realtime :)
BA-SVK & surroundings AreaManager, Soc. Med. XP
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V Exception+HTC One S, stock Android 4.0.4, waze 3.6.0.0
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko
Suik

Postby srbhiscock » Sun May 05, 2013 8:13 am

A navigation type that would utilise a generic economy algorithm would be useful, perhaps avoiding lots of stop-start situations.
srbhiscock

Postby foxitrot » Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 am

srbhiscock wrote:A navigation type that would utilise a generic economy algorithm would be useful, perhaps avoiding lots of stop-start situations...

...and detouring shorter lower-ranked roads over much longer (and usually similarly fast, but often slower) routes over higher-ranked roads.

An economic route type was promised many months ago IIRC, and should IMHO be implemented regardless of the planned low-road-types-pruning replacement.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App