Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby fvwazing » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Gas-savings are an interesting idea but foremost it is a can of worms. Waze needs elevationdata for that (could be derived from gpsdata but with a huge errormargin) and a LOT of variables on the car. Cars with regenerative braking or hybrids have complete opposite characteristics from combustion engines, for instance. I know of not a single navigation that masters it.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Emergency response vehicles in most of the developed world use special gear which costs a ton and uses handcrafted maps (check http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/news.php?news=2222 for instance) and they are never going to give that up, for liability alone.

But Malaysia? Indonesia? Once the map has high quality for normal traffic a lot could be done, if a squad of ambulancedrivers or a firebrigade pick it up. I feel hesitant about putting another burden on Waze-staff for managing this and hope that an Emergency-Response-Vehicle-mode would create such weird routing at places that any driver trying it will do so only once. Or maybe the local champs should distribute such tokens? They are better situated for research on applicants.

Oh, and ERV are not just another mood. For this to work it also requires a different router. A special webpage for just tracking the different ERV's in a single city is also needed, so that dispatchers can see their vehicles located in real time. To get located by the dispatcher but not by the general public needs a client that sends its location in two different accuracies; and it would be nice if the ERV would show different on the map/get different routing as soon as the horn and lights are on ;`) ETA? 2023 at earliest.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 am

Riamus wrote:Champs or high level editors have been commenting on it. That along with the time based turn restrictions are vehicle restrictions.

Or if you're asking about pedestrians and bicycles, Waze staff mentioned it in their post about the Google acquisition.

Yes, the google-acquisition. In their euphoria, they would have announced support for rollerskates, horsecarts, dogsleds, elephant rides, toboggan and rickshaws if they had thought of it.

For pedestrians and bicycles you need 3-4 times the amount of roads (in cities, at least). All that trouble for an additional 1-2% of users? Not in a long time, not as long as growth rates are in the double figures.
Expect vehicletypes that use a subset of the current roadnetwork, not a superset.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:30 pm

ictag wrote:But my guess is that may have been the original reason for waze but that it's being increasingly used by pedestrians and cyclists because of the the cool new Facebook features. Particularly in Europe.

Alas, we will find them in the traffic accident statistics, like these:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... 1&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... t&safe=off

Waze will guide you into the fastest traffic BY DESIGN. Add to that a lowered level of awareness, induced by Facebook-usage...
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Does it? I am told it shows your friends going to the same destination, in the final stages of their trip.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 am

Waze is not for bicycling, and it will never be for bicycling. Didn't you read one bit of the comments in this thread?
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:59 pm

"Not soon" then?. Remember, "soon" can mean "not even in four years". And yes, in the hype of the google adventure many things were promised, even bicycles. But do not hold your breath... we will be lucky if trucks, cabs and more are actually supported before this thread is one year old.

[edit]
Aw sh*t, this thread IS one year old.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby gadgetech3142 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

CBenson wrote:I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.

Samsung Note 2
We have the same situation (HOV/HOT lanes) in Houston on I-10, and they are adding it to US-290. We have HOV lanes all over town, most of which reverse direction depending on the time of day.

There are also a few major side roads that have center lanes that reverse direction depending on traffic and/or time of day. (yes, I know, this one should go on the Map forum, I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to warn people coming from the correct direction of hazards in that lane.)

gadgetech
gadgetech3142

Postby garoutel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi everybody !

Most used vehicles should be added like Bicycles, Motorbikes, Trucks, SUVs
(and even a Pedestrian mode would be nice :lol: )

Of course by adding specific vehicles, you should create specific roads (bicycles paths, ...) and the possibility to add authorized vehicles in the road options (in WME).

(I'm sorry if my english is bad, but happily you can't hear my awful French accent :lol: )
Waze 3.7.7 • AM Sud Htes-Alpes (05) • AM FeedTheWaze 04-05
garoutel

Postby garoutel » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:24 pm

petervdveen wrote:
Riamus wrote:Don't say never.

never.

:lol:
Waze 3.7.7 • AM Sud Htes-Alpes (05) • AM FeedTheWaze 04-05
garoutel

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App