Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby foxitrot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:05 am

Barely :(
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 am

Eticketlizabeth wrote:I love that more cars are now available, but how about a minivan/van? ... I chose "taxi" for just that reason, ...

Eticketlizabeth, this whole discussion is not about which car icons should be available to be displayed on top of the map (as is your taxi). It's about which vehicle categories should be supported (length, speed, weight, no. of passengers, etc.) and what routes they should get suggested according to the restriction shields along the real roads.

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby FrankieTF » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:34 pm

The Original Post made in 2012, Four Years ago from this year 2016.

Did Waze give up on Truckers & RVers ?

I would like vehicle dimensions added for Weight: 80,000 Lbs, Height: 12ft - 13'6, Length: 50ft - 70ft and Widths: 8ft to 11ft. Maybe Hazmat designated also but not necessary. This is for Trucks & RVers who travel all roads all countries 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Truckers work through Holidays and birthdays and vacations. There's an app on Google play, called Smart Truck Route. They are Truck GPS focused and charge 50 USD a year. You can buy them out and add to Waze interface.
FrankieTF

Postby frxdrxk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Would love to see height implemented into Waze. I drive a small truck (3.10 meters high), and sometimes Waze routs me places I cant drive. For example a tunnel that is too low. This would be beneficial for us couriers with trucks, Waze really helps me finding the fastest route otherwise.

A feature where you could manually enter height of tunnels along your route would be fantastic as well, as some tunnels might be temporary.
frxdrxk

Postby fvwazing » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Vehicletype: "Other vehicle" as a catchall for everything not foreseen. "Other" vehicles do not generate traffic/maperrors while they move around.

Vehicletype: cab/taxi
Roadtypeflag: taxi allowed. Taxis (with permit) are allowed to drive thru certain pedestrian zones. So - will a "pedestrian boardwalk" with taxis enabled be routable for taxis? Oh, and this is not allowed during shopping-times so time dependency please.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:11 am

Please, do NOT add cyclists and pedestrians to the set. Any new vehicles should be able to drive (a subset of) the car-network.

(I previously argued that cabs should be able to navigate the pedestrian zone at certain times. That could be done with other types than pedestrian boardwalk.)
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 pm

TurnpikeWarrior wrote:I think the most logical solution is to disregard data from motorcyclists.

Not necessarily so.
If a MC is slow it could generate a jam. If it is faster than a (previously reported) jam it could be ignored. And every type of vehicle should have its own speedprofile for every segment as to not mess up speeddata for other vehicle types (until enough MC-data is collected the car-data applies).
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Vehicletype: emergency response vehicle (ambulance, firetruck)

In all(?) developed countries these vehicles are equipped with expensive custom-made GPS-units that rely on finetuned maps. In most developing countries this is not the case, and Waze could help them out. This type of vehicle would be able to drive anywhere a road is without triggering maperrors or clearing trafficjams. In handselected streets they could be allowed to drive AGAINST traffic (sirenes and flashlight assumed to be on). As an added extra they could be made visible flashing on the map and Wazers in their path could be warned to give way a minute in advance. (Yeah, I am awake - just daydreaming here).
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:32 pm

OldGnome wrote:
fvwazing wrote:Please, do NOT add cyclists and pedestrians to the set. Any new vehicles should be able to drive (a subset of) the car-network.

How exactly are bicycles different in this discussion from long-haul trucks? Restrictions on where they can drive, potential impact to the average speed on the chosen roadway, etc. I would consider it an advantage while driving to know that both are on my route.

Bicycles would need so many extra connections, they would double the volume of the map where I live. All that trouble - to plan a trafficfree route for cyclists. They don't get stuck in traffic, anyway. Before they do get stuck in traffic they cut a corner over a boardwalk. Even if you managed to present them with a perfect route they would ignore it. (I know because I am a parttime cyclist myself). Not worth the trouble. Do not bother with bicycles until - well, until the last street has housenumbers (another way to say never).

Trucks would need only a handful of changes to existing roads to make them perfectly happy.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm

It may be different in the states - but DUTCH cyclists are notorious!
fvwazing

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App