Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby krikketdoug » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:33 pm

Gerald_Snyman wrote:Country : South Africa
Types: Truck 18 Wheeler

Some user said why do Waze have to care about the input of truck drivers, because they are always on the road. Well, I'm a truck driver, driving mostly only local (I'm home every night) and sometimes I drive long distance (where I'm obviously not home). Waze is a wonderful app, and can help reduce the truck related accidents. I just don't understand why cars hate trucks. When you have Waze to help the cars warn about slow trucks, and Waze help trucks to find routes that will be easier for them, and avoid to unnecessarily slow down speedy traffic. Face it, cars need trucks. We carry the food the cars need. It is faster in the shops by truck, than by train. Please, bear with trucks, and help with ideas to make Waze work for us all :-)

As another truck driver (newly minted) I can say that most car drivers don't hate truckers. On the other hand, they do hate being slowed by trucks...
In SA we have a compulsory STOP for the truck over 5 metric ton Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). Before that stop sign is a dedicated lane for the struck. Usually a stead bed is at that stop, for in case the truck fails to stop. It would be great to have a COMPULSORY STOP & STEAD BED notification in TRUCK MODE.

Which is why I've advocated for a "Alternative truck" category. You have 18 wheelers, and you have smaller box-trucks. And then you have pickup-trucks that have "truck" plates that follow yet other laws. I don't expect Waze to recognize all the differences, particularly when it comes to gross vehicle weight.

I'm in Illinois, USA. The laws are the same throughout my country, but how many countries does Waze operate in? I'd love to see mandatory rest stops, but I don't think that's reasonable... To do so locally would require 4 different truck classifications. Who knows how much in the rest of the world?
Some WEIGH BRIDGE is 24 hours open and require trucks to always enter the primary weigh bridge, to determine if the truck needs to be pulled over for an official weight. Thus, it would be nice if Waze can tell the driver to keep onto the bridge lane.

Agreed! Now if we can get Weigh station/bridge added as a landmark...
While in truck mode, Waze build statistics for trucks, the same as with cars, with the exception, that Waze can warn speeding traffic of a slow vehicle ahead, instead of the truck case a traffic jam in Waze. Waze can navigate trucks on routes with less hills. A long drive time on a segment can be translated as lots of hills. Thus, it may be possible to find a 10 km detour, which should be faster than the slow short route with steep hills.

All ready in the works, if I understand correctly.
When a truck stops on a long segment, Waze should ask the driver if it's a place to stop and rest. If yes, then mark a 50 meter radius. Over time, when a driver gets tired, then he can ask Waze where the nearest stop spot is. As a driver, at night, I often overshoot a place to pull over, and I can not just stop a 56 ton vehicle in 30 meter, then reverse ... I want Waze to add that as an intermediate stop. It should help reduce drivers falling asleep.

If a truck driver doesn't shut off waze when making long distance trips. I'd ask why not. Or are all trips long-distance with no stops at red lights?
krikketdoug

Postby RooikatTV_YouTube » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Types: Truck 18 Wheeler

Some user said why do Waze have to care about the input of truck drivers, because they are always on the road. Well, I'm a truck driver, driving mostly only local (I'm home every night) and sometimes I drive long distance (where I'm obviously not home). Waze is a wonderful app, and can help reduce the truck related accidents. I just don't understand why cars hate trucks. When you have Waze to help the cars warn about slow trucks, and Waze help trucks to find routes that will be easier for them, and avoid to unnecessarily slow down speedy traffic. Face it, cars need trucks. We carry the food the cars need. It is faster in the shops by truck, than by train. Please, bear with trucks, and help with ideas to make Waze work for us all :-)

In SA we have a compulsory STOP for the truck over 5 metric ton Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). Before that stop sign is a dedicated lane for the struck. Usually a stead bed is at that stop, for in case the truck fails to stop. It would be great to have a COMPULSORY STOP & STEAD BED notification in TRUCK MODE.

Some WEIGH BRIDGE is 24 hours open and require trucks to always enter the primary weigh bridge, to determine if the truck needs to be pulled over for an official weight. Thus, it would be nice if Waze can tell the driver to keep onto the bridge lane.

While in truck mode, Waze build statistics for trucks, the same as with cars, with the exception, that Waze can warn speeding traffic of a slow vehicle ahead, instead of the truck case a traffic jam in Waze. Waze can navigate trucks on routes with less hills. A long drive time on a segment can be translated as lots of hills. Thus, it may be possible to find a 10 km detour, which should be faster than the slow short route with steep hills.

When a truck stops on a long segment, Waze should ask the driver if it's a place to stop and rest. If yes, then mark a 50 meter radius. Over time, when a driver gets tired, then he can ask Waze where the nearest stop spot is. As a driver, at night, I often overshoot a place to pull over, and I can not just stop a 56 ton vehicle in 30 meter, then reverse ... I want Waze to add that as an intermediate stop. It should help reduce drivers falling asleep.

While on the truck topic. Many companies have large fleets. It would be great if the drivers can link to each other and see where each other are, either to chat, or to request assistance from his colleagues, because people just don't offer assistance anymore to strangers, due to hi-jacking.

TRUCK MODE: Compulsory stop / stead bed notification / resting spots / colleague live in client.

SOLUTION: the same as with timed turn restrictions, click clock on green arrow, the same could be done with vehicle restrictions.
RooikatTV_YouTube

Postby petervdveen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 am

Not going to happen.
There are not enough wazers with this 'problem'.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby hsanivaram » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 am

Hi wazer from India!

Here we have toll roads where only commercial vehicle is supposed to pay tax. Therefore i would love if taxi is update in it.

On its selection toll demarked for taxi will be activated on waze.

Vehicle type: TAXI
Navigation Type: Ability to mark commercial tolls.
hsanivaram
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby alexmlehmann » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm really new to Waze in the first place and I'm not sure what happened from here on out. I live and work in California, USA, where it's legal to split lanes and pass by cars. Switching Waze to motorcycle CA mode would be really important. Things that I would expect in that mode are:

- all visuals are spoken (like "police officer reported coming up in 500 feet") since most riders rely on audio only
- ability to set level of audio-feedback (how often would you like to be warned "100/200/500 feet" etc.)
- lane-splitting legal or not? If so, don't account speed, or allow the user to manually switch between lane splitting or not
- ability to report things through voice

Anyway, maybe part of this is in development and I'd be glad if someone can point me in the right directions.

Thanks, Lx
alexmlehmann

Postby pydagenais » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi,

i didn't read mutch around but for trucker's in Canada / Quebec i got several usefull info's that could be added to waze for trucking / and rv's for the transit roads and delivery only restricted roads and most of the overpass height's i did put the info's link's in the forum designed for that area. Sorry it's mostly in French but the link's could help gather the informations.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=342&t=89291

Have fun on the road's, but respect the laws !!
pydagenais
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby DaJoNel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Yes, I know. However, many of the gravel roads in my area are major access routes. Many POI are unreachable without the use of these gravel roads. I was specifically referring to the visual appearance of these roads that make them quite nearly invisible in the client.
DaJoNel
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:46 pm

DaJoNel wrote:This distinction is worthless because the road type appears as little more than a walking trail in the client.
It actually effects routing based on client settings.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DaJoNel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:14 pm

This distinction is worthless because the road type appears as little more than a walking trail in the client.
DaJoNel
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:21 pm

DaJoNel wrote:Location: USA
Navigation type: Unpaved road (well-maintained, frequently-used gravel)

We've asked for this to be a checkbox several times. Please see local guidelines (by state) for more info on how to type these roads. For example in CT all unpaved roads are typed as "Dirt Road/4x4 Trail" (as long as a sedan can drive on the road), however in Louisiana "Dirt Road/4x4 Trail" is used more for roads that a sedan can't drive on.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App