Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Major highways disappear when zoomed out

Post by e92mech
I am running the latest version of Waze on an iphone5. The issue is that recently all roads-including major highways-disappear when zoomed out to a certain degree. This issue is vehicle speed-independent, and happens even if I pinch zoom out when standing still.

The consequence is that I cannot zoom out enough to see major traffic patterns in my area before I start driving, because all the highways disappear. Furthermore, Waze becomes useless to scout possible routes on long road trips because when zoomed out to a state or city level even highways are gone, making it extremely difficult to pan and orient the map due to a complete lack of reference points.

I've tried re-downloading tiles, reinstalling the app, disabling auto-zoom and nothing has worked. Suggestions?

Interestingly, I only see this behavior on my iPhone, while on my ipad3 I can zoom out to my heart's content and the roads never disappear.

Tnx,

E92mech
e92mech

POSTER_ID:10120001

Send a message

Post by Donkeyfumbler
Unholy wrote:Welcome to "fixing display bug" Thursday (the celebrations start a day earlier...) ;)

We're checking this issue, and I will inform you once we have more info about it.

Thanks,

Ori
Hooray! I shall remove my Santa hat from the bin in anticipation.
Donkeyfumbler
Send a message

Post by Donkeyfumbler
Thanks very much for the info Ori. Looking forward to this working in time to beat the Christmas traffic.

Apologies if one of my posts was a bit snarky, but when you've just sat in traffic for the second time because the app you used to rely on no longer works for you and no-one is even acknowledging there is a problem, you might be a little peeved too!
Donkeyfumbler
Send a message

Post by Donkeyfumbler
I can confirm that everything is now displaying properly for me as well (in the UK). Big relief :D

Hope it gets fixed for those of you in NA.
Donkeyfumbler
Send a message

Post by e92mech
Yes the problem you describe sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.
e92mech
Send a message

Post by e92mech
The problem is now fixed for me after I reloaded map tiles. iphone5, North America.

Thank you for getting to this. The app is tremendously more usable now.
e92mech
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
After todays' mapdate things are much worse. Look at these two images, where the 2nd image is pinched just a bit more than the 1st:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355064855.466693.jpg
(172.23 KiB) Downloaded 2447 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355064869.923551.jpg
(73.71 KiB) Downloaded 2448 times
Size of the area in view is maybe 40km wide, 30km high.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Did you clear, Alan? I did and get to 11 steps.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356281486.686049.jpg
(46.27 KiB) Downloaded 1451 times
[edit]
Oh wait, I am on INTL, you are on US/Can.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by hurley108
I'm going to add my voice to this chorus. Zoomed way out, I can see sea/lake/levee landmarks, and river/stream landmarks, as well as the city blobs, but all roads are invisible.

Are the devs aware of this issue?
hurley108
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With today's NA map update, the persistence of road visibility is much better. Minor highways disappear at zoom 8, major at 10 and freeways at 12. This is significantly better than before. I feel freeways should stick around for a couple more zoom levels out as at that level you get an idea of a good part of several US states at the same time.
I don't see why Freeways should disappear at all. When we do our frequent troubleshooting of certain features that require finding other Champs on the map, the interstates are the only way of finding a spot across the country, since display of rivers and lakes and other geographical features, and borderlines are not necessarily visible or helpful. I can look at a grid of the interstates and find just about any major city.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message