Long Distance Routing

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby the1who » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:03 am

Here is the segment that is in the screenshot that I have issues with initially on the way up, there was another one on the way back but I am not sure which one that is just yet...anyways, here it is, 8875 meters, or 5.51 miles, in length. I, thanks to someone else, used WME Color Highlights extension just now to verify any issues with the nodes, none are noted, no reverse connections etc. Prior to the recalculating issue and proceed to highlighted route, the route did start from my current location, all the way to my destination in Des Moines with the magenta line, it is when this occurs that it stops some distance out in front, maybe on the map tile edge, just speculation there but most logical answer at moment.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-94.28 ... s=62323594
Global and US Champ, USA Region 3 (Plains) Coordinator, and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: waze.midwest@gmail.com

Nexus 5 - 6.0.1 | Waze 4.0

Waze FAQ | Best Map Editing Practice | Waze chat IRC
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby the1who » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 am

Here is another example, the user reporting "the directions keep resetting saying "proceed to highlighted route" is the road not connected?" on Dec 1. This segment does have a reverse connection, but how much does that really play a part?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

But that segment is 12186 meters, or 7.57 miles in length too.
Android Beta Leader

the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby the1who » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Here is a brand new report from yesterday. Same issue it seems, different location. The only thing I have edited in this area was the rev connections, same as other report I shared. I don't know how much of an impact that has, but we'll see. Since I am going through this whole stretch, and I have travels along here soon, we'll see if these node updates have an impact or not. I feel a 20% chance it fixes it, with 80% it doesn't.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

These two error reports I'll assume is from the same user, but clearly there is a problem when the one report he says it keeps telling him to proceed to highlighted route.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
Android Beta Leader

the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby demvin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm

I have also noticed this problem for the first time yesterday with client 3.5.1.4 on Android. Very annoying.

Never had this problem before, but it's the first time I do this route with 3.5.1.4.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat=46.41637&lon=-71.80374&layers=BFTFFTTTTTTFTTTTTTTTTFT

Thanks
demvin

Postby Gamersea » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
gamersea wrote:http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-client-how-can-we-improve-waze-on-your-phone-/suggestions/3439028-allow-longer-routes

What do you guys think about something like this? A temporary subscription when you need to do longer routes?

I think the problem with longer routes is that the routing server just can't handle it yet. The distance has increased a bit in the past year, and will probably continue to. But it's not like they can just flip some magic switch and allow longer routing.

Yeah that seems to be the problem, that's why I thought if they had small subscriptions they'll have more money and time to put in the servers to create even better distances :)
Gamersea

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 pm

gamersea wrote:Yeah that seems to be the problem, that's why I thought if they had small subscriptions they'll have more money and time to put in the servers to create even better distances :)

More servers doesn't necessarily equate to the ability to do longer distance routing. However, it can help. What needs as much work is their routing algorithm optimization. I'm not sure what other tricks navigation providers can employ, but hopefully they are mining all possible sources of helpful info to make their routing code better and better.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WhiteVanGo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Didn't long distance routing work at some point in the past? I just tried a 243 mile trip and the routing server continued to time-out until I think I got under the 200 mile mark. I thought I was able to do this in the past. If this is the case, wouldn't it be better to inform the user that the trip is too long to route instead of a false indication of network trouble.

In this case, I simply used Apple's Maps (which calculated properly) for the turn by turn voice in the background and had Waze in the foreground to report hazards until my distance was within range to successfully calculate the trip. I still kept Waze muted. I like Apple's voice notifications better.
WhiteVanGo

Postby Gamersea » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Seems it gone down again, I was able to navigate to Fügen in Tirol. Now it gives a time out again.
Gamersea

Postby Gamersea » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Seems it gone down again, I was able to navigate to Fügen in Tirol. Now it gives a time out again.
Gamersea

Previous

Return to Waze App