Long Distance Routing

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby Gamersea » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Seems it gone down again, I was able to navigate to Fügen in Tirol. Now it gives a time out again.
Gamersea
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm
Location: Zwolle, Netherlands
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby Gamersea » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Seems it gone down again, I was able to navigate to Fügen in Tirol. Now it gives a time out again.
Gamersea
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm
Location: Zwolle, Netherlands
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby WhiteVanGo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Didn't long distance routing work at some point in the past? I just tried a 243 mile trip and the routing server continued to time-out until I think I got under the 200 mile mark. I thought I was able to do this in the past. If this is the case, wouldn't it be better to inform the user that the trip is too long to route instead of a false indication of network trouble.

In this case, I simply used Apple's Maps (which calculated properly) for the turn by turn voice in the background and had Waze in the foreground to report hazards until my distance was within range to successfully calculate the trip. I still kept Waze muted. I like Apple's voice notifications better.
WhiteVanGo
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:48 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 pm

gamersea wrote:Yeah that seems to be the problem, that's why I thought if they had small subscriptions they'll have more money and time to put in the servers to create even better distances :)

More servers doesn't necessarily equate to the ability to do longer distance routing. However, it can help. What needs as much work is their routing algorithm optimization. I'm not sure what other tricks navigation providers can employ, but hopefully they are mining all possible sources of helpful info to make their routing code better and better.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23613
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1126 times
Been thanked: 4793 times

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby Gamersea » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
gamersea wrote:http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-client-how-can-we-improve-waze-on-your-phone-/suggestions/3439028-allow-longer-routes

What do you guys think about something like this? A temporary subscription when you need to do longer routes?


I think the problem with longer routes is that the routing server just can't handle it yet. The distance has increased a bit in the past year, and will probably continue to. But it's not like they can just flip some magic switch and allow longer routing.

Yeah that seems to be the problem, that's why I thought if they had small subscriptions they'll have more money and time to put in the servers to create even better distances :)
Gamersea
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm
Location: Zwolle, Netherlands
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby demvin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm

I have also noticed this problem for the first time yesterday with client 3.5.1.4 on Android. Very annoying.

Never had this problem before, but it's the first time I do this route with 3.5.1.4.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat=46.41637&lon=-71.80374&layers=BFTFFTTTTTTFTTTTTTTTTFT

Thanks
demvin
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:39 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby the1who » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Here is a brand new report from yesterday. Same issue it seems, different location. The only thing I have edited in this area was the rev connections, same as other report I shared. I don't know how much of an impact that has, but we'll see. Since I am going through this whole stretch, and I have travels along here soon, we'll see if these node updates have an impact or not. I feel a 20% chance it fixes it, with 80% it doesn't.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

These two error reports I'll assume is from the same user, but clearly there is a problem when the one report he says it keeps telling him to proceed to highlighted route.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Las Vegas
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby the1who » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 am

Here is another example, the user reporting "the directions keep resetting saying "proceed to highlighted route" is the road not connected?" on Dec 1. This segment does have a reverse connection, but how much does that really play a part?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

But that segment is 12186 meters, or 7.57 miles in length too.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Las Vegas
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby the1who » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:03 am

Here is the segment that is in the screenshot that I have issues with initially on the way up, there was another one on the way back but I am not sure which one that is just yet...anyways, here it is, 8875 meters, or 5.51 miles, in length. I, thanks to someone else, used WME Color Highlights extension just now to verify any issues with the nodes, none are noted, no reverse connections etc. Prior to the recalculating issue and proceed to highlighted route, the route did start from my current location, all the way to my destination in Des Moines with the magenta line, it is when this occurs that it stops some distance out in front, maybe on the map tile edge, just speculation there but most logical answer at moment.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-94.28 ... s=62323594
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Las Vegas
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Long Distance Routing

Postby the1who » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:50 am

As far as long distance routing, and before the thread gets off on the wrong foot. I get it and understand what you mean, however that is not at all what I am referring to in my problem that I am trying to report and share. See, I am well below 200 miles left. In that, it is approx. 200 miles between Des Moines and KC anyways. So we are under the known limit. But what is unknown is the true limit in the NA server. I can right now get a route from here in KC to Surprise, AZ, 1500 miles on my phone right now, door to door, turn by turn. It isn't the most optimum route, but for this setup, it sure is one nice option if I ever planned to make that trek. I understand that in the world server there are limits of 200 miles for routing, but I distinctly remember that they raised that here in the NA server.

So I don't want this thread to get hung up on that thought process. What the true problem is, is that there seems to be a problem with the routing server and the device when they communicate with each other, something I don't know. My best assumption is that the tiles as you go along and are reporting back to Waze aren't matching completely, hence why the magenta route line ends shortly before me approaching it, and doesn't continue on the remaining 140 miles.

Also, in my observations of this since the latest versions through beta and market versions, it only seems to occur on long stretches of freeway, where there are minimal junctions/nodes and there is substantial distances between the next node/ramps. Case in point is on a similar distanced trek, but I took it across the back country highways through Missouri. Yeah, there were some errors along the way, I planned weeks before, checking routing, and updating the map along the route I was going to take. The map updated with all of the correct routing, but it wanted to take a route it thought was faster until I hit a point that it just continued on the way that it should. I get that. But I have trekked I-35 plenty with Waze and it has only been happening like the screenshots as of recent with the recent betas etc. It wasn't that way in 3.0 or 2.4 on and on.

I'm just making the observation that along the long stretch, I see this problem with the proceed to highlighted route, the thing kept recalculating every time I hit the end of the magenta line and then proceed to highlighted route. On my trek with the back country, it would take me to the next junction and try to have me go the other way until like I said, I reached a point and it said this way actually is faster and then it routed me on a continual path. I even had loss of cellular service, but because I had a route already on there and no breaks in the magenta line, I was able to navigate with it just fine. If anyone knows State Hwy 7 in Missouri, you should know what I mean between Harrisonville and Osage Beach. So again, logic has it, two scenarios, similar distances, different layouts. One with many junctions, one with very few. The one with very few is causing me problems. And by the looks of it and all the user reports along the freeways, I'm not the only one...
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Las Vegas
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Next

Return to Waze App

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot]