Annoying New Ad Icons and Popups

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Annoying New Ad Icons and Popups

Postby Ayzmo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:27 am

saguaro7 wrote:But I'm sick of seeing Dunkin Donuts and Taco Bell everywhere I go. I never go to either place, and actively dislike both.

This applies to me as well. I don't mind ads so much given that Waze is free but I am disgusted by Taco Bell and would never eat there. Dunkin Donuts, not as bad but I haven't been to one in years. If we had options for ads it might be more palatable.

There's also the reality that I know a lot of these ads aren't in the right place. I know where Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts are around me and there are about 4x as many little things for them in the area than there actually are, often quite close to each other and in neighborhoods. It doesn't make sense.
Ayzmo

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:54 pm

saguaro7 wrote:Why would someone driving "65" on an Interstate detour to one of the marked businesses?

Driving around at lunch time (vacation, running errands, visting a client site, day off, etc etc etc) and getting hungry. Desired response: "Hmm, I haven't had that in a while. Sure, why not."

And yes, in some areas if you drive more than a few miles you will be getting onto an Interstate-class road and doing Interstate speeds even if you aren't leaving your city.
WeeeZer14

Postby saguaro7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm

I have to agree with fortik and others. They way Waze is doing ads is going to push me away to some other nav app. I love the community concept and am generally very happy with Waze. But I'm sick of seeing Dunkin Donuts and Taco Bell everywhere I go. I never go to either place, and actively dislike both. The map markers are irrelevant and distracting. Why would someone driving "65" on an Interstate detour to one of the marked businesses? Unlikely. The popup situation (when stopped) is somewhat reasonable, but again, blanket advertising doesn't work. Irrelevant ads are a wast of time for users and money for advertisers.

The smart people behind Waze should be able to do much much better.
saguaro7

Postby fotrik » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 am

I understand that Waze needs to make money. On the other hand when the ads arrive also here I would like to have an option to buy a "Pro" version on Market with no ads.
fotrik
Localizers
Localizers

Postby saros69 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 am

I don't mind the ads either.

In fact I quite like the one today which showed me a promotion for a particular kind of beer which I like (I don't normally like beer except this one).

The only thing is that how does Waze know that I like this one...? :shock: lol
saros69

Postby andrewkjs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 am

I've never encountered a pop-up ad while I was moving either, only while idle.

I totally understand the need for these ads to keep the app free and infrastructure running. Over here they have been ads for Standard Chartered, HSBC and Tesco, so the ad inventory in Malaysia seems to be selling well, but it remains to be seen if the revenue will be sustainable.
andrewkjs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 am

dirgela wrote:The business model is that you make the map, provide traffic data and then get ads if you want to use it :) On the other side google maps don't have traffic data in many countries and waze has no competition. Funnily in these countries waze has no advertisement as well :)

The model of providing traffic data is not enough to sustain. There is so much traffic data available now, Waze cannot survive on this alone. It may be different country-by-country as you note.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Jpere » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm

I haven't had any ads pop-up while my vehicle was moving. Only when I was stopped.

They do not bother me as long as they do not pop-up while I'm driving. Perhaps there's a bug somewhere that caused them to appear while you are moving.
Jpere

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 am

I don't mind pushpin ads but the popups will get annoying if they get common.

And look on the bright side — at least Waze works for you. With my particular phone, and particular OS version, ads, coupons and popups crash Waze for me. So every time I should see a popup, a coupon or manually tap on an ad icon, Waze will quit on me.

I can't use it at all anymore anywhere because these ads are now everywhere — Taco Bell, Baymont Inns, Ramada, Dunkin Donuts, a Wii U coupon at Walmart. Hard to find any map areas without these businesses where I live!
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Annoying New Ad Icons and Popups

Postby dirgela » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 pm

The business model is that you make the map, provide traffic data and then get ads if you want to use it :) On the other side google maps don't have traffic data in many countries and waze has no competition. Funnily in these countries waze has no advertisement as well :)
dirgela

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App