GeoCaching + Waze bookmarklet

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Hello all,

As a Wazer and Geocacher, I felt the need for some kind of integration between the two, so I could pick up a cache and tell Waze to go there.

What I got so far works on iOS and with the official Geocaching client, but I'm willing to help other cases.

- open safari and open any webpage
- add the page as a bookmark, call it something ("Waze"?). At this point one can't change the location.
- open the bookmarks list, edit the bookmark, and change the location to the following text:

Code: Select all
javascript:l=document.location.href;l=l.replace(/.*?(@|%40|%2540)/,"");l=l.replace(/.*?(-?[0-9.]*,-?[0-9.]*).*/,"$1");alert(l);document.location.href='waze://?ll='+l;

Then what I do is the following:
- on the Geocaching client, pick the cache I want to drive to, and click on the "open on external map", which will open Safari and maps.google.com
- click on safari bookmarks and the waze bookmark
- an alert will show the "lat,lon", just in case, to ensure the value was parsed correctly (waze crashes if this value is incorrect btw)
- waze will open with a marker at the cache's coordinate. click on the marker and drive there. Or manually pick a road nearby in case it's a cache with no access by car ;)

Feedback is welcomed.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: GeoCaching + Waze bookmarklet

Postby davipt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 pm

kieranrawley wrote:I tried to get Waze to link to geocaching 3 years ago so well done for taking the bull by the horns and getting it to work!

It's a bit better/worse (delete as required) again today

I don't think linking Waze with geocaching should be a priority at all. Integration like Foursquare makes a lot of sense because 4SQ has a lot of searchable POIs to drive into, but Geocaching doesn't quite fall into the same concept.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm

seriousarsonist wrote:... but I'd also say linking it with FourSquare is also pretty low priority, a lot of the foursquare georeferences are hopelessly inaccurate. ...

Not quite that "hopelessly inaccurate" over here, but I'm also a SU2 at Foursquare ;)

Now more seriously, what is really missing from Waze (and a lot other apps), is accepting coordinates on the search field, and be smart with the parsing of different coordinate formats. Only Google does it right. Even worse because waze does know about the coordinates via the waze:// uri.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:21 am

gerben wrote:
davipt wrote:
seriousarsonist wrote:... but I'd also say linking it with FourSquare is also pretty low priority, a lot of the foursquare georeferences are hopelessly inaccurate. ...

Not quite that "hopelessly inaccurate" over here, but I'm also a SU2 at Foursquare ;)

Now more seriously, what is really missing from Waze (and a lot other apps), is accepting coordinates on the search field, and be smart with the parsing of different coordinate formats. Only Google does it right. Even worse because waze does know about the coordinates via the waze:// uri.

IIRC, wazing to coordinates is possible, but Waze uses a different format than most other applications. Try switching the lat and lon, it should work!

To hard to do with copy/paste on the iPhone, forget it :P
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby gerben » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am

davipt wrote:

IIRC, wazing to coordinates is possible, but Waze uses a different format than most other applications. Try switching the lat and lon, it should work!
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:09 pm

davipt wrote:
gerben wrote:
davipt wrote: ... {quote reduction}...

Too hard to do with copy/paste on the iPhone, forget it :P

A slight trick I use is to copy it then paste it twice. Then I delete the first and last coordinate half, which results in the lat and lon reversed. Still a pain... I agree!
ImageImageImageImage
CM: U.S.
RC: Great Lakes - IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, & SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S4 w/ Android 4.3 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 7.1
GizmoGuy411
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby khaytsus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 am

I used to be able to directly navigate from the Android app Locus, but now I just get a search for the cache name and not the coordinates :-\

Still not sure which app is doing it, but Google navigation works so I'm thinking it must be Waze.
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
ATT LG G2 (AOKP 4.3)
Nexus 7 (Rooted, Stock 4.4 Kit Kat)
Samsung Galaxy Note (i717 AT&T; AOKP 4.3.1 Jellybean)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby kieranrawley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I tried to get Waze to link to geocaching 3 years ago so well done for taking the bull by the horns and getting it to work!

It's a bit better/worse (delete as required) again today
Kieran

(I'll go for a run when I've got this little bit sorted..........)

kieranrawley
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby seriousarsonist » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 am

That works brilliantly! thanks very much :)

Would be nice if Waze would integrate waypoint additions from external sources, or even the geocaching api... we'll just have to keep asking...

Thanks again
Pip

(purplecoat on geocaching.com)
Level 5 Area Manager for Northern Ireland. WME and App Beta Tester.
seriousarsonist
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby seriousarsonist » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:34 pm

I would have to agree, linking waze with geocaching is pretty low priority, but I'd also say linking it with FourSquare is also pretty low priority, a lot of the foursquare georeferences are hopelessly inaccurate. Adding the ability to import GPX files would be a far better use of coding time as it could be used for far more than our little treasure hunting days, it is after all, just like the add a stop feature which will be implemented shortly, you're just adding a lot of stops at once...
Level 5 Area Manager for Northern Ireland. WME and App Beta Tester.
seriousarsonist
Beta tester
Beta tester

Return to Waze App