Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:I noticed that when I "munch" newly created roads, it shows the munching icon but the next day, the same roads are ready to munch again.

Try zooming in on those segments - I've seen what appears to be recently munched roads reappearing as unmunched, but if I zoom in then I get a normal looking segment with what appears to be an unmunched segment rendered underneath it, with just the edges of each dot showing either side of the cleared segment above. Zoom back out and this cleared segment stops being shown again, leaving just the unmunched segment on show.
L4 AM for London/Thames Valley and Shetland Islands
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Twister_UK wrote:That quality level seems like overkill for recorded vocals, especially vocals which are being played back through a phone loudspeaker in a moving vehicle - most of us don't even store our music at such a high bitrate for playback via headphones/decent quality speakers in quiet environments...

Speak for yourself (ha ha). I keep all my music in FLAC at home and high res m4a on my phone and music player. There's a huge difference with the music versus typical mp3 files, and a noticeable difference in the speech on Waze — especially when it's hooked up to my car's audio system. 320 kbps may be overkill for speech but the 44.1 kHz sampling rate makes it sound much clearer, at least to me. Since the files take up so little space, even with all of us getting English and Hebrew sound files by default, it's not a huge worry.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:I noticed that when I "munch" newly created roads, it shows the munching icon but the next day, the same roads are ready to munch again.

Sometimes you have to zoom in on the roads, as Twister_UK said. But it's also possible that Waze has not gotten enough data for those roads, so it has put the cookies back in place. I've munched the same stretches of some rural roads around here two or three times before the cookies go away for good.

I get points each time, so I'm not complainin' 8-)
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm

CrackedLCD wrote:Speak for yourself (ha ha). I keep all my music in FLAC at home and high res m4a on my phone and music player. There's a huge difference with the music versus typical mp3 files, and a noticeable difference in the speech on Waze — especially when it's hooked up to my car's audio system. 320 kbps may be overkill for speech but the 44.1 kHz sampling rate makes it sound much clearer, at least to me. Since the files take up so little space, even with all of us getting English and Hebrew sound files by default, it's not a huge worry.

44KHz and 320kbps is overkill for voice. My pt_PT folder is 3.8MB, meaning almost 4MB of traffic downloaded after installation that could easily be less than 10% without loosing any noticeable quality.

About the TTS files, maybe they could be increased a little, but I'd rather have low traffic consumption than better quality.

Also moving to AAC could improve a lot compared with the current old-school MP3 files ;)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby a4bolek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:42 am

So please make it configurable!

Configurable? No, that's bad for you. Waze knows what's good for you, so does other fruity OS.

Hush now baby, baby don't you cry.
Mama's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you.
Mama wont let anyone dirty get through.
Mama's gonna wait up until you get in.
Mama will always find out where you've been.
Mama's gonna keep baby healthy and clean.
Ooooh baby oooh baby oooh baby,
You'll always be baby to me.
Hardware:
Nexus 6P Android 7.0
Nexus 5X Android 6.01
Nexus 10 Android 6.01
Waze 4.6.0.1
a4bolek

Postby zCougar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 am

I'm not sure is it a client or server problem but something is wrong here. This part of freeway is in the city where speed limit is 50km/h. Client reported a traffic jam because speed was "only" 130km/h :-)

Here is the map permalink
Waze 3.9.5.3: Nexus 4 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby foxitrot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 am

zCougar wrote:I'm not sure is it a client or server problem but something is wrong here. This part of freeway is in the city where speed limit is 50km/h. Client reported a traffic jam because speed was "only" 130km/h :-)

I'm sure the server is the culprit. There is a long road (it is a Minor HW, but that does not matter) in the middle of my home city, speed limit 50 km/h, driven speed maybe 50-60 km/h. We regularly see there, for years long, yellow traffic jams around 55-65 km/h (during an absolutely free traffic flow) and I've already posted screenshots with yellow traffic jams up to 98 km/h from places there, where it is not even possible to achieve such high average speed.

We were already seriously thinking of drawing its segments from scratch :(
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (OP-X March-me-Low).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 pm

foxitrot wrote:
zCougar wrote:I'm not sure is it a client or server problem but something is wrong here. This part of freeway is in the city where speed limit is 50km/h. Client reported a traffic jam because speed was "only" 130km/h :-)

I'm sure the server is the culprit. There is a long road (it is a Minor HW, but that does not matter) in the middle of my home city, speed limit 50 km/h, driven speed maybe 50-60 km/h. We regularly see there, for years long, yellow traffic jams around 55-65 km/h (during an absolutely free traffic flow) and I've already posted screenshots with yellow traffic jams up to 98 km/h from places there, where it is not even possible to achieve such high average speed.

We were already seriously thinking of drawing its segments from scratch :(

Nononono. If you draw it from scratch, the weird jams will appear again.

When a segment is created, it gets some kind of initial average based on the kind of road. No idea which value though. Then the more people use the road, the more real the average will become and those alerts will go away.

Please check that segment's (or send the permalink) average speed using for example the highlights script. If you are getting those reports, there probably ain't enough people driving there or someone created the segment recently.

I've recently converted a double 1way street into a single 2way, on a two lane short road next to the river/see, which is 50-70 max but it's a main way out of Lisbon as an alternative to the paid freeway or the always stopped free freeway. So it's a major. And a new major segment on a street of 50-70 takes about two weeks to stop getting stupid reports like this, but it's heavily used (at minimum by me every day).

check the average of the segment. If the average is way out of value, do recreate the segment. There was some rumors (most probably wrong) about existing segments that gets stretched and then the average becomes incorrect.

post the permalink or average please.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mysticcobra » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Is there where I file a complaint regarding crashes? Waze crashes my phone (complete freeze, battery out reboot type of freeze) about one out of every 4 times I use it.

I feel like it might be related to talking to my gps because if I start another NAV app first and then exit and load waze, the gps syncs MUCH faster and it seems to crash less often.

Phone in sig, what can I do to help fix the bugs?
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S4-Android 4.3, Waze 3.8.7.0
Northern VA
mysticcobra

Postby Cool1Mark » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Dang It!!! Waze keeps shutting itself off on me! :evil:
Why isn't it a setting to control when Waze decides when to TERMINATE ITSELF?

I keep loosing mileage because of this NEW FEATURE!

Anybody else having this problem?
Cool1Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App