Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Cool1Mark
perlin wrote:
rhoadesma wrote:
perlin wrote: Waze closes itself when it's idle (turning off the screen is considered idle in this case).
It is very annoying to have to check if Waze is running because you don't know if it turned itself off or not just because you stopped to get gas, stopped to eat, ran into a store for a few minutes, etc.

Can you please add a setting to control the behavior?
10 minutes is not such a short time. If you stop for an errand for 10 min or more, shutting down waze saves you battery life. Is it such a hassle to open the app again?
When we set the app to not close at all, you guys complained that it's draining the battery and in cases that one forgets to close it, it's a good idea to close it for him if it detects no action.
I find myself having to check if Waze is still running when stopped at a long light with heavy traffic where you sit through the light cycling 2-3 times before you get through it. I have had it turn off on me.

Would I guess you have never had to wait for a train? That can easily take 10 minutes and have the app shutdown on you.

If you make it a setting then you make everybody happy! :D
When you force it without options, you will always make somebody unhappy.

So please make it configurable!
Cool1Mark
Send a message

Post by Cool1Mark
Dang It!!! Waze keeps shutting itself off on me! :evil:
Why isn't it a setting to control when Waze decides when to TERMINATE ITSELF?

I keep loosing mileage because of this NEW FEATURE!

Anybody else having this problem?
Cool1Mark
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
I'm still having some troubling crashes that were present in the last version. Since the update wasn't too specific, I'm going to mention them again just in case.

Waze crashes if I try to go to My Coupons or My Scoreboard. And after being crash-free for the two weeks after the Christmas holiday, it's now crashing again when I come to a stop at some intersections. It only happens if I leave the screen on and the device idle for a few seconds. I get a burst of data then a crash. If I keep the gas prices form open, or Foursquare's venue list open, or turn off the screen before coming to a stop, it will not crash.

Checked today with another user, also running 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, and the first time mine crashed, he got a pop up ad for Taco Bell. Is there any way to temporarily turn off ad pop ups?

During the last two weeks on the previous version when it started magically working again with the screen on, there were no pop ups for either of us other than the usual hazards and traffic alerts.

Since upgrading to 3.5.3 I no longer get a prompt to send logs to Waze upon restart on any of these crashes.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jdeyoung wrote:I am running on Android 4.1.1 on the Droid Razr Maxx HD. I upgraded from the latest beta and all seemed to have gone OK.
HOWEVER, now the app can't seem to run more than 10-15 minutes without crashing - and sometimes it stops after a couple of minutes. I have been both in navigation mode (to a specific destination) as well as simply having waze "on" while driving.
The "waze has stopped" message often coincides with Droid sensing a WiFi signal, or stopping at a stoplight. Can't seem to keep the app running.
Haven't always sent comments on "send report" option, but have always submitted reports.
Also, every single time I attempt to go to "MyWaze/Scoreboard" I get the message "Unfortunately, Waze has stopped."
Please let me know if there is something, anything I can do until a fix version becomes available.
I have the same exact set of crashes, only I'm running an HTC Droid DNA with 4.1.1. The crashes are definitely related to the advertising pop ups that you get if a) you're stopped for more than six seconds and b) near one of the advertisers' pins on screen. Mine also crashes on the Scoreboard and Coupons or whatever it's called now (My Specials?)

There are a couple of workarounds to keep Waze running when you're stopped. The easiest thing I've found is to turn the screen off before you stop. If it's off, the ads (and alerts, unfortunately) won't come up. Alternatively, you can just minimize Waze so it runs in the background while stopped, OR you can submit gas prices or checkin to Foursquare venues. As long as you're doing something or Waze is in the background, it won't crash. At least, that's been my experience.

I was able to determine this by having a fellow Wazer ride with me for a few days. He has a Razr HD (not Maxx or Maxx HD) running 4.1.1 and no crash issues at all. At the exact moment mine crashed, his would display a pop up ad. But on his, the ad can be dismissed or go away and he won't see any more for a few days; on mine (ours) it keeps trying to serve the ad over and over and over which leads to constant crashing.

It's still just a theory at this point but I'm 90% sure that ads are the culprit.

I know turning off the screen or minimizing Waze at intersections is a headache but it's worth trying just to see if it alleviates the problem. I'm interested to know if it works for you as it did for me.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
darkneon wrote:One more thing to add to the list...

Waze had trouble staying connected to foursquare, every morning when I launch Waze it has to reconnect to foursquare. I just need to press connect, press log in. Press the X to close, then wait and Waze will connect.

I don't even have to enter my login and password! So Waze has all it needs to connect to foursquare but it doesn't!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk
That's been an issue for a long time. At first I thought it was Foursquare's fault. I was there when they went through their growing pains and it was horrible, not having access to them for hours at a time during "prime time" in the US. Then it got better but Waze still has issues.

Waze isn't connecting to Foursquare directly but to their own server first. I think the same server is used for Twitter integration and who knows what else. It has to be the weak point.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
zCougar wrote:I'm still not happy with tablet UI. A lot of menus and texts are too small to be useful. For instance I almost can't read gas price numbers when my 7" Nexus is sitting on car dashboard.
Ditto high res phones like my Droid DNA, which has a 1920x1808 resolution which renders street names almost too tiny to see.

I've been told the developers are aware of this but don't think it's a serious issue. Apparently they all have fantastic vision. :lol:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Twister_UK wrote:That quality level seems like overkill for recorded vocals, especially vocals which are being played back through a phone loudspeaker in a moving vehicle - most of us don't even store our music at such a high bitrate for playback via headphones/decent quality speakers in quiet environments...
Speak for yourself (ha ha). I keep all my music in FLAC at home and high res m4a on my phone and music player. There's a huge difference with the music versus typical mp3 files, and a noticeable difference in the speech on Waze — especially when it's hooked up to my car's audio system. 320 kbps may be overkill for speech but the 44.1 kHz sampling rate makes it sound much clearer, at least to me. Since the files take up so little space, even with all of us getting English and Hebrew sound files by default, it's not a huge worry.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Den_in_USA wrote:I noticed that when I "munch" newly created roads, it shows the munching icon but the next day, the same roads are ready to munch again.
Sometimes you have to zoom in on the roads, as Twister_UK said. But it's also possible that Waze has not gotten enough data for those roads, so it has put the cookies back in place. I've munched the same stretches of some rural roads around here two or three times before the cookies go away for good.

I get points each time, so I'm not complainin' 8-)
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
rhoadesma wrote:Dang It!!! Waze keeps shutting itself off on me! :evil:
Why isn't it a setting to control when Waze decides when to TERMINATE ITSELF?

I keep loosing mileage because of this NEW FEATURE!

Anybody else having this problem?
How long are you sitting still before it shuts itself off?
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
CMSFL70 wrote:I posted problems I was having with the Waze app back on page 14 of this thread. Never received any feedback. I can see others have the same issue.

Waze is totally unstable on my phone. It crashes every time my vehicle comes to a stop (within 10 seconds.) It also crashes every time I attempt to access the scoreboard.

I do send the crash report every time the app quits on me. Am I wasting my time or are the developers using this data?

This app was at one time very useful but now it just does not work. I have lost out on thousands of miles by now.

Should I just uninstall and be done with it or is there hope the crashing problem will be fixed (soon?)

Anybody out there???????
I have a similar issue, which the devs are aware of, but there's no apparent fix in sight. Two questions: what model phone do you have (and what version OS is on it) and when's the last time you saw a pop up advertisement while stopped?
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message