These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by ITChrisLWR
First of all I love WAZE has been a great app for the 10 months I have been using it.

BUT...

The past few weeks the app has been VERY unstable to the point where it is almost unusable. I noticed Waze crashing a lot and as some others have pointed out it happens at the time the popups would appear notifying me of alerts in the area. The last update to 3.5.3 has had no effect on this problem.
99% of the time when my vehicle comes to a stop a crash occurs. When I am stopped and no crash occurs I do not receive any alerts of incidents in the area.

The app also crashes every time without fail when I attempt to view the scoreboard.

I am running a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon completely stock.

I have tried clearing the data and uninstalling then reinstalling Waze.
ITChrisLWR
Send a message
Last edited by ITChrisLWR on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxy Nexus Android 4.1.1 (Verizon)

Post by ITChrisLWR
I posted problems I was having with the Waze app back on page 14 of this thread. Never received any feedback. I can see others have the same issue.

Waze is totally unstable on my phone. It crashes every time my vehicle comes to a stop (within 10 seconds.) It also crashes every time I attempt to access the scoreboard.

I do send the crash report every time the app quits on me. Am I wasting my time or are the developers using this data?

This app was at one time very useful but now it just does not work. I have lost out on thousands of miles by now.

Should I just uninstall and be done with it or is there hope the crashing problem will be fixed (soon?)

Anybody out there???????
ITChrisLWR
Send a message
Last edited by ITChrisLWR on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ITChrisLWR
CrackedLCD wrote:
CMSFL70 wrote:I posted problems I was having with the Waze app back on page 14 of this thread. Never received any feedback. I can see others have the same issue.

Waze is totally unstable on my phone. It crashes every time my vehicle comes to a stop (within 10 seconds.) It also crashes every time I attempt to access the scoreboard.

I do send the crash report every time the app quits on me. Am I wasting my time or are the developers using this data?

This app was at one time very useful but now it just does not work. I have lost out on thousands of miles by now.

Should I just uninstall and be done with it or is there hope the crashing problem will be fixed (soon?)

Anybody out there???????
I have a similar issue, which the devs are aware of, but there's no apparent fix in sight. Two questions: what model phone do you have (and what version OS is on it) and when's the last time you saw a pop up advertisement while stopped?
Thanks for the reply

I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Build JRO03O totally stock.
I think the last time I saw a pop up while I was stopped was probably late November early December time frame?

If the developers are aware of this why can I find no mention of it under known issues? Or am I looking in the wrong place.

This WAS a fantastic app that I turned a number of people onto. I would be more than willing to pay for a non ad supported version if these issues were resolved.
ITChrisLWR
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
I am running on Android 4.1.1 on the Droid Razr Maxx HD. I upgraded from the latest beta and all seemed to have gone OK.
HOWEVER, now the app can't seem to run more than 10-15 minutes without crashing - and sometimes it stops after a couple of minutes. I have been both in navigation mode (to a specific destination) as well as simply having waze "on" while driving.
The "waze has stopped" message often coincides with Droid sensing a WiFi signal, or stopping at a stoplight. Can't seem to keep the app running.
Haven't always sent comments on "send report" option, but have always submitted reports.
Also, every single time I attempt to go to "MyWaze/Scoreboard" I get the message "Unfortunately, Waze has stopped."
Please let me know if there is something, anything I can do until a fix version becomes available.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
CrackedLCD wrote:
jdeyoung wrote:I am running on Android 4.1.1 on the Droid Razr Maxx HD. I upgraded from the latest beta and all seemed to have gone OK.
HOWEVER, now the app can't seem to run more than 10-15 minutes without crashing - and sometimes it stops after a couple of minutes. I have been both in navigation mode (to a specific destination) as well as simply having waze "on" while driving.
The "waze has stopped" message often coincides with Droid sensing a WiFi signal, or stopping at a stoplight. Can't seem to keep the app running.
Haven't always sent comments on "send report" option, but have always submitted reports.
Also, every single time I attempt to go to "MyWaze/Scoreboard" I get the message "Unfortunately, Waze has stopped."
Please let me know if there is something, anything I can do until a fix version becomes available.
I have the same exact set of crashes, only I'm running an HTC Droid DNA with 4.1.1. The crashes are definitely related to the advertising pop ups that you get if a) you're stopped for more than six seconds and b) near one of the advertisers' pins on screen. Mine also crashes on the Scoreboard and Coupons or whatever it's called now (My Specials?)

There are a couple of workarounds to keep Waze running when you're stopped. The easiest thing I've found is to turn the screen off before you stop. If it's off, the ads (and alerts, unfortunately) won't come up. Alternatively, you can just minimize Waze so it runs in the background while stopped, OR you can submit gas prices or checkin to Foursquare venues. As long as you're doing something or Waze is in the background, it won't crash. At least, that's been my experience.

I was able to determine this by having a fellow Wazer ride with me for a few days. He has a Razr HD (not Maxx or Maxx HD) running 4.1.1 and no crash issues at all. At the exact moment mine crashed, his would display a pop up ad. But on his, the ad can be dismissed or go away and he won't see any more for a few days; on mine (ours) it keeps trying to serve the ad over and over and over which leads to constant crashing.

It's still just a theory at this point but I'm 90% sure that ads are the culprit.

I know turning off the screen or minimizing Waze at intersections is a headache but it's worth trying just to see if it alleviates the problem. I'm interested to know if it works for you as it did for me.
I too am beginning to suspect ad servers, since I have actually not see any adds since upgrading to the new version. But I don't think I've seen waze cycle thru "reports" while stopped either. That COULD point to me having installed "lite free" to intercept notifications to flash the led in different colors based on the notification? I may try and de-activate that and see if the behavior improves...
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
I appreciate that there are lots more android devices than iOS, but it seems like the most recent version has quite a number of pure stability problems where the app crashes. That is not helpful when we try to rely on this for commute. I shouldn't have to worry whether whether waze has stopped or not. I have tried sending reports nearly every time waze crashes - and since it seems to happen nearly every time I stop moving, this results in 4 or 5 reports during my commute. Do we have any idea when we might see a beta for an incremental release on android? Do the crash reports provide any help whatever? If sending frequent crash reports isn't helpful, I can stop and just live with it until the next release...
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by Jpere
I'm not sure what caused this but I had no ETA banner on the bottom of the screen.

I sent the logs at round 7:21 AM EST on 1/25/13.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq0n31r2ef8u2 ... -21-51.png
Jpere
Send a message

Post by KB_Steveo
What happened to the Google search option? It's bad enough that waze crashes every time I try to search in this new version. Now my options are a 50% chance of Bing actually sending me to the right place. Foursquare, which is awesome, if the place you're looking for is actually in their database. Or YP, Yelp, etc. (I'm going by memory, since I can't get to the search results without crashing) giving me results for places that are hundreds of miles away from where I am.

Can we get a link to go back to 3.5.1.4 until this is cleaned up?
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by Knocik1
I am using Waze daily in UK, however not doing long journeys (total around 25-30 miles). Recently (2-3 weeks ago), I've noticed that app is loosing GPS signal, however phone has that fixed. That was happening once or twice during 30-40 min drive for few minutes even. I tested other app for few days and noticed that it is not the case on other app - Navfree. Moreover, when I wanted to test Waze again, app is coming up with initialization failed - no network connection. The connection is there, and even tested at home with WiFi - no success. So I can't use app at all now (last 3 weeks). Anyone able to help?
I have Galaxy SII, Android 4.0.4.
Knocik1
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Leaving work last night I started Waze and immediately did a navigate search. It auto-started the home navigation in the background, so ignored my new destination. I canceled the home nav and set the new destination again.
Waze terminated, and asked for a log send when started again, which was done at 18h20 GMT.
It was in full debug mode at the time.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing