Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby ejp1082 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 pm

markzabala wrote:
zCougar wrote:The biggest annoyance is that every audio prompt pauses media player. In previous release I lowered prompts volume and heard guidance when playing podcasts but now every beep and word from Waze pauses podcast. It is very annoying. Please restore the previous behavior or add a config option for that under sound settings menu.


I'd like to reiterate what ZCougar said. One of the main reasons I use Waze over Google Navigation is that I could listen to my music (mostly instrumental) and have the turn-by-turn directions talk over the music without any interruption. Now this new updates pauses the music and makes the drives much more annoying for me and my passengers. I know other people have asked for this interrupting behavior in the past but it should really be a setting where users can toggle whether to have voices interrupt other audio apps or have it talk over for users like me.

What would be ideal is if we could also have the turn-by-turn navigation panned to just the left or right speaker so only the driver's side would have the directions and passenger's can listen to music with minimal distraction.

Also, can it be possible to use our handset's own text-to-speech engines? I like using Ivona voice on Android.


I'd just like to throw my support behind this too. Trips with frequent turns make listening to music or podcasts pretty much impossible while using Waze due to the constant interruptions. Please please make this a setting we can toggle so I can go back to how it used to work.
ejp1082
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

jdeyoung wrote:I am running on Android 4.1.1 on the Droid Razr Maxx HD.

I am as well without problems. No crashes, can access the scoreboard without problem. Feel free to PM me if you want to compare setting differences.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 9703
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 912 times
Been thanked: 2071 times

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby Twister-UK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Found an annoying UI issue today, which possibly explains the ongoing issue I've had with reports seemingly going missing. When the client is displaying a pop-over window above the map, such that parts of the map remain visible around the edges of the pop-over, tapping on any of those pieces of map causes the pop-over to close.

When trying to submit a hazard report or similar, the Send and Later buttons are sufficiently close to the edge of the pop-over that it's easy to accidentally tap on the map rather than the button (especially on phones like the One X which seems to have a particularly sensitive screen), which then silently closes the report pop-over instead of queueing or sending it as expected.

A UI design which requires the user to tap one part of the screen to submit data, whilst tapping the almost-immediately adjacent part of the screen causes immediate and irreversible loss of that data, isn't a good design IMO...
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Image
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:00 am
Location: NW London
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 1372 times

Re: Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby deeggo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Twister_UK wrote:When trying to submit a hazard report or similar, the Send and Later buttons are sufficiently close to the edge of the pop-over that it's easy to accidentally tap on the map rather than the button (especially on phones like the One X which seems to have a particularly sensitive screen), which then silently closes the report pop-over instead of queueing or sending it as expected.

This happened to me too. I had just typed an extensive description of a hazard and mishit the send button, so all was lost. :evil:
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3988
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 481 times

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby Den_in_USA » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:24 pm

ejp1082 wrote:
markzabala wrote:
zCougar wrote:The biggest annoyance is that every audio prompt pauses media player. In previous release I lowered prompts volume and heard guidance when playing podcasts but now every beep and word from Waze pauses podcast. It is very annoying. Please restore the previous behavior or add a config option for that under sound settings menu.


I'd like to reiterate what ZCougar said. One of the main reasons I use Waze over Google Navigation is that I could listen to my music (mostly instrumental) and have the turn-by-turn directions talk over the music without any interruption. Now this new updates pauses the music and makes the drives much more annoying for me and my passengers. I know other people have asked for this interrupting behavior in the past but it should really be a setting where users can toggle whether to have voices interrupt other audio apps or have it talk over for users like me.

What would be ideal is if we could also have the turn-by-turn navigation panned to just the left or right speaker so only the driver's side would have the directions and passenger's can listen to music with minimal distraction.

Also, can it be possible to use our handset's own text-to-speech engines? I like using Ivona voice on Android.


I'd just like to throw my support behind this too. Trips with frequent turns make listening to music or podcasts pretty much impossible while using Waze due to the constant interruptions. Please please make this a setting we can toggle so I can go back to how it used to work.

I also do not want my Pandora Music cutting out every time the voice prompt is activated. Let it be a selectable choice.
Software Test Designer, CareFusion
T-Mobile| Dell Streak 5| Android 2.2.2
Den_in_USA
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:26 am
Location: Riverside, California, USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby Den_in_USA » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Unfortunately, sending alerts by the driver is presently not practical nor safe. There should be icons such as "car on side of road" and "Police" on the bottom of the screen all of the time. After pressing the icon, two very large buttons should popup to select "left side of road" or "right side of road". A third press on a "send" button is not necessary.
Software Test Designer, CareFusion
T-Mobile| Dell Streak 5| Android 2.2.2
Den_in_USA
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:26 am
Location: Riverside, California, USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby darkneon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31 pm

darkneon wrote:Waze eats up all resources on my N7000 , switching apps with Waze running is a 50/50 chance of locking the phone and when even more unlucky a forced reboot is required. If not apps will become terribly slow with occasional freezing and completely locking up the phone if you don't shutdown Waze fast.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk

Sadly but I have to add another bug.

Sometimes when I want to report a hazard Waze thinks I don't have an internet connection but all others apps do. Phone reports hdspa speed(3g).
Restarting Waze is required to recognize the connection again.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk
ImageImage
Waze Ingress Theme: http://goo.gl/zKdXW Perfect for at night
darkneon
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:35 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:07 am

jdeyoung wrote:I am running on Android 4.1.1 on the Droid Razr Maxx HD. I upgraded from the latest beta and all seemed to have gone OK.
HOWEVER, now the app can't seem to run more than 10-15 minutes without crashing - and sometimes it stops after a couple of minutes. I have been both in navigation mode (to a specific destination) as well as simply having waze "on" while driving.
The "waze has stopped" message often coincides with Droid sensing a WiFi signal, or stopping at a stoplight. Can't seem to keep the app running.
Haven't always sent comments on "send report" option, but have always submitted reports.
Also, every single time I attempt to go to "MyWaze/Scoreboard" I get the message "Unfortunately, Waze has stopped."
Please let me know if there is something, anything I can do until a fix version becomes available.


I have the same exact set of crashes, only I'm running an HTC Droid DNA with 4.1.1. The crashes are definitely related to the advertising pop ups that you get if a) you're stopped for more than six seconds and b) near one of the advertisers' pins on screen. Mine also crashes on the Scoreboard and Coupons or whatever it's called now (My Specials?)

There are a couple of workarounds to keep Waze running when you're stopped. The easiest thing I've found is to turn the screen off before you stop. If it's off, the ads (and alerts, unfortunately) won't come up. Alternatively, you can just minimize Waze so it runs in the background while stopped, OR you can submit gas prices or checkin to Foursquare venues. As long as you're doing something or Waze is in the background, it won't crash. At least, that's been my experience.

I was able to determine this by having a fellow Wazer ride with me for a few days. He has a Razr HD (not Maxx or Maxx HD) running 4.1.1 and no crash issues at all. At the exact moment mine crashed, his would display a pop up ad. But on his, the ad can be dismissed or go away and he won't see any more for a few days; on mine (ours) it keeps trying to serve the ad over and over and over which leads to constant crashing.

It's still just a theory at this point but I'm 90% sure that ads are the culprit.

I know turning off the screen or minimizing Waze at intersections is a headache but it's worth trying just to see if it alleviates the problem. I'm interested to know if it works for you as it did for me.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
Image
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:37 am
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby a4bolek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 am

darkneon wrote:
darkneon wrote:Waze eats up all resources on my N7000 , switching apps with Waze running is a 50/50 chance of locking the phone and when even more unlucky a forced reboot is required. If not apps will become terribly slow with occasional freezing and completely locking up the phone if you don't shutdown Waze fast.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk

Sadly but I have to add another bug.

Sometimes when I want to report a hazard Waze thinks I don't have an internet connection but all others apps do. Phone reports hdspa speed(3g).
Restarting Waze is required to recognize the connection again.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk


This is not a bug. This is one of the worst flows of Waze. As network connectivity degrades from LTE>4G>3G>2G>EDGE all other apps just patiently wait for their piece of the pie while Waze just stops. All road munching gets lost. All drives in affected areas get lost as well.
As network conditions improve all other apps take advantage while Waze still displays no network connection. Only restart of Waze brings it back.
Hardware:
Nexus 6P Android 6.01
Nexus 5X Android 6.01
Nexus 10 Android 6.01
Waze 3.9.8.0
a4bolek
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:19 am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Android 3.5.3 official feedback thread

Postby darkneon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:26 am

One more thing to add to the list...

Waze had trouble staying connected to foursquare, every morning when I launch Waze it has to reconnect to foursquare. I just need to press connect, press log in. Press the X to close, then wait and Waze will connect.

I don't even have to enter my login and password! So Waze has all it needs to connect to foursquare but it doesn't!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk
ImageImage
Waze Ingress Theme: http://goo.gl/zKdXW Perfect for at night
darkneon
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:35 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 30 times

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users