Waze not learning my preferred route and can't save Alt Rte

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Waze not learning my preferred route and can't save Alt

Postby ear8dmg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am

Waze does sort of learn routes.

The routes are based on the speed data and map data available. I had a big map editing spree on my potential commuting route, clearing up a lot of minor problems. I also deliberately drove some alternative routes giving similar times. Now Waze seems to offer some very sensible routes enar me. So, edit the map and drive the routes. If your route is genuinely faster it should show up eventually.

The route-learning happens at the Waze server end and not on your device client. It may take a while for it to have all the available data to give the route you want. Also - driving the clear side streets may feel quicker than sitting in traffic on the highway but it might not actually take less time.
ear8dmg

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm

ear8dmg wrote:Waze does sort of learn routes.

At this time, it really does not. What it presents as routes are what it deems to be the fastest (or shortest depending on your settings) at the time you request it. If Waze has mature street speed data to work with, and you always drive the fastest (or shortest) route anyway, it will look like Waze has learned your route, but really, it just learned the faster route.

In my case, the route I choose for work is never selected first because it isn't technically the fastest. However, it is the safest, and the one with better fuel economy. And anyone else who doesn't, on purpose, take the fastest route for various reasons, will experience the same: Waze does not learn your preferred route.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Richardtreadway » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:26 am

It would be a nice feature to have Waze be able to learn a route. Then you could compare your preferred route to the others.
Richardtreadway

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:07 am

Richardtreadway wrote:It would be a nice feature to have Waze be able to learn a route. Then you could compare your preferred route to the others.

It's coming. Again. Should be this year.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Waze not learning my preferred route and can't save Alt Rte

Postby kuduboet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 pm

It will be great when it finally truly learns a users preferred route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just Wazin' through life and loving it!

Area Manager for East Side of Cleveland, Ohio

Wiki Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Waze FAQ
kuduboet

Postby JetPilots » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 am

Obviously until the functionality is promoted to the app Waze devs need to remove the language under Routes that states, "Teach Waze your preferred routes driving by driving them several times." That clearly means if you drive a particular route several times Waze will learn it and begin to learn it as an option. The statement does not at all mean, even imply, drive the routes Waze recommends so it can collect traffic data and perhaps one day it will accumulate enough to realize another route is faster (see FAQ on this topic).
JetPilots

Postby paulkok_my » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 am

kuduboet wrote:It will be great when it finally truly learns a users preferred route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think waze learns your driving pattern to your favourite destination based on the time you turn on the client.

I experienced this every time I turn on waze say at 1pm, it will prompt me whether I'm going to the restaurant which I always go to for my lunch and at 5.30pm it will prompt me whether I'm going home. At 9.45pm it will prompt me whether I'm going to the tuition centre which again I always go to fetch my kids back from tuition.

IMO that waze do not learn your routing pattern but learns your destination pattern based on time of the day you turn on the client.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Area Manager: Shah Alam / Klang, Southern Region, Malaysia
Asus Zenfone 2 on Android 5.0 (ZE551ML)

Join our FB group: Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah/Sarawak
or Google+ group: Waze in Malaysia on Google+
paulkok_my
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby robor007 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Waze noob here but I'll chip in my $.02 based on my drive to/from work. I live in Lawrenceville, GA and drive to/from Norcross, GA daily. Depending on the route it's 14-16 miles. Anyone who lives around Atlanta knows rush hour(s) traffic is brutal. When I first moved here I used Google Navigation and it had me take the main roads (316 and 85) to and from work. I quickly learned I am much better off taking smaller roads. Sure, I might take 316/85 and make it to work in 25 minutes but if there is an accident or rain or a car stalled or a cop or construction that 30 minutes turned into 60-90 minutes (not exaggerating). I experimented with side roads and found a route that takes me 25-30 minutes without the risk of getting stuck in a 4-7 lane parking lot 316 and 85 can become.

On to my point. I fired up Waze on the way to work to see what route it recommended. As expected, it said 316/85. No thanks! However, it's important to mention the exit to 316 is on the way to my own preferred route so Waze would still think I am taking the advised route. On the way Waze alerted me there was congestion on the route and traffic reports on the radio confirmed a backup on 316. Despite the many smaller road alternatives, Waze did not change the recommended route to avoid the known congestion. I took my preferred route and made it to work in 25 minutes.

One odd route recommendation I should mention. Near the end of my own preferred route to work I am on a two lane road and cross a much more busy 4 land road with a light at the intersection. Waze wanted me to take a right through a neighborhood before the intersection which would bring me out to the busy 4 land road where I would have to make a left across traffic. I can understand avoiding a light if the road isn't busy but that is never going to be the case at the time.

I know I'm a noob and this probably comes across as a rant but I don't mean it that way. I like Waze. A lot. The routing seems to be as good or better than Google Navigation with the bonus of user reported hazards, police activity, traffic, etc.
robor007

Postby fvwazing » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:39 pm

JetPilots wrote:Obviously until the functionality is promoted to the app Waze devs need to remove the language under Routes that states, "Teach Waze your preferred routes driving by driving them several times." That clearly means if you drive a particular route several times Waze will learn it and begin to learn it as an option. The statement does not at all mean, even imply, drive the routes Waze recommends so it can collect traffic data and perhaps one day it will accumulate enough to realize another route is faster (see FAQ on this topic).

In the dutch translation of the Wazeapp, we did exactly that. Nobody ever complained since. Because the (US)english version is done by the Waze HQ you have to live with that... spam them!
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Previous

Return to Waze App