These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Will NA Client work in Europe?

Post by B3ND3R_
I use Waze regularly in Canada.
Will Waze work in Europe without having to change anything on my iPhone? (yes, I know I will need data access/roaming)
I know there are different base maps for North American/Europe, etc. Not sure if I need a different client application?
Thanks.
B3ND3R_

POSTER_ID:9182849

Send a message

Post by andrewkjs
Yup, it will. It'll detect that you're in a different region when you start Waze the first time when you're in Europe and then switch to the INTL servers. Waze will then ask you to restart and after it does so it'll start downloading the maps from the INTL servers.
andrewkjs
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png
Area Manager: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
Waze Malaysia: FB | G+ | Forum | Wiki

Post by DArby_UK
I was told by the @waze twitter person that you need to register as a new user when you swap servers ?

I'm going the other way and wanted to add US favourites while in the UK which i was told is impossible plus i would not be able to us my existing username when i arrive in the US
DArby_UK
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Also of note, the manual switching option is of limited use. As soon as the Waze client detects which server you should be on it will prompt to restart Waze again.

Also keep in mind that when the Waze client switches infrastructures it will purge any map that is cached in your client (this has been my experience). So you will need a network connection in the current location in order for the map to populate. So if you are travelling and don't want to incur roaming data fees Waze may not be very useful.

Yes, you can cache map on WiFi when traveling.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
DArby_UK wrote:I was told by the @waze twitter person that you need to register as a new user when you swap servers ?
Not true unless you are visiting Israel. And that may not even be the case anymore.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by kentsmith9
Added "Switch client server" and "Changing continent" search terms to our current Banks of Servers article that covers this question.

If this question comes up a lot we can add it to the FAQ. I think adding the whole string above as a redirect has limited chance of being searched as written.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
DArby_UK wrote:I was told by the @waze twitter person that you need to register as a new user when you swap servers ?

I'm going the other way and wanted to add US favourites while in the UK which i was told is impossible plus i would not be able to us my existing username when i arrive in the US
When I was in Taiwan I was able to use the same username with Waze.

The world server account data is separate from the NA server data though. I had a moment of shock one time when I accidentaly logged on to the world server to view my dashboard and all my edits and points were gone. :o :lol:
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by vawineguy
Went to France recently. Grabbed a Orange SIM card for my Verizon iPhone 6s. Instant on ! Rented from Avis ( via Costco) and started up Waze. Downloaded local maps immediately ! Drove all over Normandy and back to outside Paris. Waze never misses a beat or a turn anywhere. Unreal. Really cool. Just like in the USA. Not sure they get the French pronunciation correct but who cares.
vawineguy
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
And if it does NOT automatically switch, you can force the switch. Bring up the navigate to dialog and where you'd type an address or business to search for, input one of these codes instead:

To switch to the "Rest of World" servers:
##@other

To switch to North America servers:
##@usa
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator