iPhone 3.6 official feedback thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: iPhone 3.6 official feedback thread

Postby xd-data-ii » Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 pm

When a friend sends a "beep beep" message to me it says it was from myself - instead of from the friend.
Same thing happening with them when I send them a "beep beep" message.
xd-data-ii

Postby fuegodelsol » Mon May 20, 2013 11:51 am

Hi, here's a bug report for Waze app v3.6 in iPhone 4s, iOS 6.1.3 (not jail broken). Has anyone else encountered this?

BUG REPORT:
Every so often, in my case once or twice a week, this issue pops up for me. It has happened at least 6 times already in the four weeks I've used the app.

Issue:
Upon entering navigate screen, I try searching for a destination by typing into the search field. After entering the location, I see that Waze is only searching for Contact List Results. Waze results, which is usually the default, isn't even available. Google, Bing, Foursquare, etc results are also not available - you could usually scroll through those options in the search mode, but with this issue the icons are not available at all. Only the contact list results icon is available. I then try going to categories mode, and the screen shows "no items". The usual options like gas stations, restaurants, places of interest, etc are all gone.

I have tried switching off the app (throough the switch off option, and also a hard kill of the app via the iOS double-home-key-press task manager thing) then restarting the app, and the issue persists. I've also tried restarting my phone, still no luck.

A network issue was my first hunch, but may not actually be the case. The phone is connected to the network at all times the issue happens. I know this because traffic reports and other network reliant stuff like messages are still available.

Notes:
1. Two or three times that the issue happened, there was a popup saying that storage space was getting low. There were two options/buttons on the popup - "Done", and the other was "Manage" I think. I've tried both options. "Done" just resumes the app but search is still compromised. "Manage" takes you to the settings of the iPhone showing the different apps installed and the space they consume, and even after deleting some apps and returning to Waze, search is still compromised. However, this popup does not appear all times that the search/categories issue showed up. I also have more than 900MB free out of the 16GB capacity of my phone.
2. I am on a prepaid plan on my phone, so I access the internet exclusively via WiFi on a mobile WiFi stick that I have. Not sure if that affects Waze?
3. My country is the Philippines and my network provider (both on the phone and mobile wifi) is Globe Telecom - not sure if that'll also help identify the issue if it turns out to be network or location related.

Resolution/workaround:
The only resolution I found that works is to uninstall the app and re-download it from itunes app store or reinstall it while the phone is syncing with my PC. After reinstalling and reopening the app, search functions normally and the categories are also back. However, this workaround is quite tedious especially if search goes wonky once or twice a week.

I hope there are other Wazers who can give suggestions, or maybe the Waze team can provide a permanent fix. Thanks!
fuegodelsol

Postby orbitc » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I haven't had that issue. It's been fine for me. I able to search even with a single place name and that Waze cleverly comes back with a location suggestion. ;)
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:19 pm

I have never encountered the issue with the other search icons not being available, but I have had cases where results from my contact list was the only thing showing as locations and I had to manually pull up Waze icon to see those results.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I have never encountered the issue with the other search icons not being available, but I have had cases where results from my contact list was the only thing showing as locations and I had to manually pull up Waze icon to see those results.

Same here. It seems to happen when Waze thinks it has service but doesn't at the beginning of the search, and gains it by the end—that is, when I start the search my phone still thinks it's in range of my home wifi even though it isn't, and by the time I went to switch providers from Contacts to another one it had jumped to LTE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue May 21, 2013 4:12 am

What they said ^

Often in my driveway where the wifi is present but weak, Waze will try to search various sources, but because of the weak wifi, everything but my phone contacts will time out and Waze will show what it thinks is the closest match in your contacts.

Usually if I tap Bing or YP or Foursquare, Waze will try to force the Internet connection resulting in my phone dropping the wifi and using the cell network, but occasionally that doesn't work either and I have to turn my wifi off on my phone or drive the car out of range completely and then pull over and try again.
MENTOR, CM: United States, AM: Northern NJ, Upstate NY
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.2 / Waze 4.0.0.3
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby fuegodelsol » Tue May 21, 2013 7:17 am

Thanks guys. I'll keep observing until the next time it happens again (I just reinstalled Waze a couple days ago and it's still fine). I'll try switching around my home WiFi and the mobile one too. Will try to take screenshots as well.

Will keep you posted.
fuegodelsol

Postby AggieJM » Wed May 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Two issues I'm still seeing:

1) When Waze finds a better route or recalculates an ETA, the "new ETA" and "original ETA" values are reversed. The new ETA shows the original time, the original ETA now shows the new time.

2) When starting on a long route, the application will freeze momentarily on the window with the countdown clock on the 'Go' button. It will usually freeze with '6' showing on the button. If you just let it sit for a while, it will refresh the screen showing your position on route. But the waiting period can sometimes be quite long which makes it appear the application has frozen/crashed.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 9.0.2
Waze 3.9.6.1 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

iPhone 3.6 official feedback thread

Postby sketch » Fri May 24, 2013 3:32 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
PhantomSoul wrote:...early "500 ft" problem ...

Yes, this bug has not been fixed yet. It is happening as you wrote, due to the code only looking at the 10ths digit: .19 miles and giving the 500ft prompt at that time.

Waze also currently fails to give you a voice prompt for the next turn after recalculating a route when that turn is less than ~500 ft away.

Is that because 0.1 mile is 528 feet, so Waze does not consider it? Seems to be the case. Does that mean it is fixed along with the 500 ft bug in the current beta?

I know it might be a little late for all this, but I'm currently out of the beta process (new phone) and I don't wanna forget this stuff by the time the next release's thread is up.

Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 pm

zexpe wrote:Now my commute to work along the motorway was very boring with the Waze client not showing me the labels of any surrounding objects; no road labels, no junction labels, no landmark labels. This makes Waze look like a very "unfinished" sat nav product compared to your competitors. I'm all for reducing map clutter, but there's lot of room to include useful labels such as junction numbers/names and the names of the roads they lead to, possibly the names of parallel routes and other large landmarks adjacent to the motorway such as parks. I learnt so much about the area surrounding my commute from glancing at the Waze map as I drove into work. This in turn encouraged me to add and label missing landmarks - now there is no incentive for me or other drivers to do this.

I agree that this is a pretty big problem. The map is really unnecessarily bare. Street names aren't so bad—we could stand to show a few more—but landmark names are almost never displayed. What's the point of putting landmarks on the map if we can't tell what they are?

Oddly, its only a problem on the 3D map. The 2D map has labels everywhere—maybe too many street labels, but it does very well with landmarks. The 3D map should be on the same level.

I don't remember seeing anything about the beta that was supposed to fix this, but let me know if I'm wrong.

Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App