Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby foxitrot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 pm

fvwazing wrote:It should be possible to deduct closures from drivingpatterns, from the deviation of the proposed route.

The drives' analyzer already does this, doesn't it? (Just the result - an MP - appears with a couple of months' delay :P)
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 pm

It should be possible to deduct closures from drivingpatterns, from the deviation of the proposed route. Something I call the "Reversed Ant Colony Optimization" (no need to google that yet!).
fvwazing

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:33 pm

I also agree, and we shared as much when it was first released, that the interface/process is too clumsy, items too small, and ability to actually enter a usable closure too limited for this feature to be widely accepted in the app.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 pm

holmes4 wrote:I reported a closure the other day - a side street under construction for a week and half. Attached a photo too. Nothing shows on the map. I won't bother in the future.

It is not enough to report a closure alone - more people have to report the same closure. If reporting once is hard, reporting 3 times is hard to the power 3.
fvwazing

Postby holmes4 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

I reported a closure the other day - a side street under construction for a week and half. Attached a photo too. Nothing shows on the map. I won't bother in the future.
holmes4

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Over the past months I may have seen 3-4 roadclosures (client-created) in the wild - that is very, very few for the whole of the Netherlands. And it isn't that we didn't try!
fvwazing

Postby sketch » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah. The "thinks you're too close to the segment to close it" is really badly done. Usually that's when I'm up at the stop sign, the first chance I have to close it safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 pm

I want to reiterate that I continue find the road closure feature to be too buggy and the interface to unfriendly. This makes the feature next to unusable.

Today I tried to report a road closed. I stopped at the barricade, but while stopped there waze again decided I had entered the closed segment and thus I could not mark the segment closed. I marked the next segment of the road closed. I then started on my way on the open road, but there was not enough divergence between the open road and the closed road so waze kept me snapped on the route into the segment I marked closed. Waze then announced that I had reached my destination. Then waze determined which road I was actually on and recalculated a route to my destination.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 am

Looks good based on what we know so far. Love that a lev 5 even has to repeatedly report the same closure (three days in a row now) each morning, and evidently until someone else bothers to report it, only I can see the closure. (The road I've been playing with is a seldom used residential street that's being rebuilt.)
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 pm

I added the instructions from the Support Quick Help to the Wiki http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... rt#Closure. If we know any of those instructions to be inaccurate please let me know. I have not had much chance to use the closure option myself, and I just found out that more than one person may need to report the same segment before others will see it on their map.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App