Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby holmes4 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

I reported a closure the other day - a side street under construction for a week and half. Attached a photo too. Nothing shows on the map. I won't bother in the future.
Steve
holmes4

Postby juankx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:05 pm

CBenson wrote:You can't indicate the road is closed in the middle of the segment you are on.

I had this problem many times in the past. There is no way to report when a two-way road segment is closed in the middle.

You know the road is closed until you reach that point in the middle of that road segment. Then you have to go back and look for an alternative route. You can't close the road at this point, because the app don't let you close the route you have taken. Also you can't close the road once you go back and reach a junction, beacuse the app don't allow you to close the road segment where you are coming from.

Caradellino wrote:The need to proof a report as legit comes from the fear of false reports (my hypohtesis) Maybe there won't be a need for harsh restrictions on accepting reports, if just a single Wazer going over THE WHOLE closed segment would reset the closure, therefore allmost imediately clearing any false reports...

After a single wazer goes over THE WHOLE segment: In case of roads closed in the middle, the reset should be made after the user completes all the way thru that segment and must be ignored the users that go back. Moreover, when many wazers go back from one point is an indication that something is happening.
juankx
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby jwkilgore » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 pm

It just so happens that they're doing a massive pavement grinding/repaving operation all around my building and parking garage this week so I've had the opportunity to play around with the Road Closure feature.

My main problem is similar to other reporting problems with Waze: ability to report something other than where you are RIGHT NOW. Specifically it only allows the closure of segments immediately adjacent to the segment you're on, or segments adjacent to where you just drove. During an entire week of road closure reporting I have never managed to successfully report all the affected roads as closed because Waze won't let me.

Examples:
1) Driving north on a split boulevard, I observed that the south-bound lanes are closed. Hit the Report -> Road closure feature, but it would not let me report the other lane as closed because it was separated from mine by one segment (the cross street at the nearest intersection).
2) I observe a road closure ahead. Because of one-way streets, I turn off this road 1 block ahead of the closure. The next segment is open, and I cannot report the closed segment because it is too far away from me. I assume that if I could have hit the report button while in the middle of the intersection just as I was turning Waze would think I was going straight so I could have reported it, but reporting a closure isn't worth a wreck.
3) I observe the road I am on is closed at the next intersection, and successfully report it closed. But the closure extends for 3 blocks, and I cannot report the adjoining segments.
4) This morning, the segments for my parking garage (both entrances) were closed. The entrance is a very short distance down the segment so I was able to drive around the signs and enter anyway. It would not let me report my segment was closed because obviously I was driving on it. I could have reported it BEFORE I entered the segment, but I assume that driving on it afterwards would have nullified the closure report.

The examples in (1-3) are ones that have been rehashed several times; the other situations were with people reporting a closure while exiting a highway, but because they're only allowed to report the next segment Waze will just route people around that segment and right back into the mess.

The example in (4) has huge implications with interstate driving because segments are often ridiculously long (another complaint of mine). Because divided highways will always be separated by at least one segment from the other driving direction, and you cannot report your own segment, no one will be able to report it closed until the backup reaches one node to the rear. The road could be blocked by a huge wreck in the desert and people could be setting up tents, building campfires, and cooking supper in the middle of the road. But 20 miles back Waze is happily routing new sheep into the carnage.

The solution is simple:
- Expand the closeable roads to include 3-4 segments in either direction starting at the one you're on, including the segment you are on.
Jason Kilgore
Motorola Droid Bionic | Android 4.1.2 | Waze 3.7.3
Area Manager: Mississippi and Tennessee
jwkilgore

Postby jwkilgore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

The only change with my suggestion would be that there would simply be more roads available to click on. No advanced gaming skills required.

Actually, you are helping to make my point. While sitting in slow traffic one segment before the exit ramp, you can spend all the time you want to report the road 3 segments ahead is closed. Give a detailed description. Carefully make sure you select the correct road segment(s). Type a novel into the comments box.

The problem comes when you have to wait until you are right at the turn before you can report the closure (and possibly an accident) while trying to accelerate along with traffic.

Same exact complaint when sitting in a traffic backup behind a wreck (not a closure, just a slowdown), or in construction, or whatever. Do you report the wreck in the wrong place with lots of info, or do you wait until you are passing the wreck to report it correctly but with no information?
Jason Kilgore
jwkilgore

Postby jwkilgore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:51 pm

bretmcvey wrote:This just happened to be my view of the closure. I've yet to run into an instance of someone else reporting a closure. This particular one was given a "long term" status for closure due to the road being torn out completely for construction that will last months. It stayed visible to me longer than a few hours, but by the next day was no longer visible.

Something affected for "months" should be changed in the Editor.
Jason Kilgore
jwkilgore

Postby jwkilgore » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:52 pm

bretmcvey wrote:Has anyone had any success at attempting to close an interstate ramp or similar acute deviation from the route being traveled?

I made an attempt last week at a mapped weigh station with an exit ramp that was closed due to construction. The ramp's close "x" icon wasn't far enough apart from the interstate (forward) section. If I'd pressed the only closure x there in the diagram, it would have resulted in me submitting the interstate and not the ramp was close down.

The client may need to factor in shallow angles and better offset the buttons in those cases.
This sounds like a place where you can help. Go to www.waze.com/editor and change the ramp angle yourself :D

Zoom way in and make the ramp angle about 45 degrees for just a few feet then turn back to the real-life shallow angle. The road will look the same when zoomed out, but it will handle directions better and things like the road closure arrows will stand out better.
Jason Kilgore
jwkilgore

Postby jwkilgore » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 pm

lakeyboy wrote:I honestly think that Waze has set it's bar too high for accepting road closures. I'm a level 3 editor and I tried to report a closure on a local road which no wazer has probably ever driven down, and the icon appears for a closure after filling out the form, but then goes away quickly and doesn't close the road for others. I can understand for frequently used roads it takes a few wazers but if one experienced user can't close one unimportant road, something is wrong.
This is one of my standard complaints. Reports from people who take the time to prove that they want to improve the system instead of just gain points should have extra weight. I'm trusted to open a browser and completely delete a road, but for some reason I'm not trusted to report a temporary road closure because of construction.

I'm a level 4 map editor with over a hundred thousand map edits, tens of thousands of driving miles, and hundreds of reports. But according to Wazes's computers and automated algorithms, I'm just as worthlessly untrustworthy someone who installed Waze 101 miles ago. Something is wrong with this picture.
Jason Kilgore
jwkilgore

Postby jwkilgore » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 am

CBenson wrote:
jwkilgore wrote:Zoom way in and make the ramp angle about 45 degrees for just a few feet then turn back to the real-life shallow angle. The road will look the same when zoomed out, but it will handle directions better and things like the road closure arrows will stand out better.

I would avoid angles of about 45 degrees. It is better to use departure angles of 20 to 30 degrees as discussed here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junc ... e#Geometry.

45 degrees is the cut off between giving a keep/exit or a turn instruction. So unless you are really good at distinguishing 44 degree angles from 46 degree angles, when you make an angle of "about 45 degrees" you don't really know if you are creating an exit instruction or a turn instruction.
CBenson is correct; I was thinking increase the angle but make sure you're less than 45 degrees, but that's not what I typed :oops:

I also agree with the later statement that the client-based road-closure procedure should be independent of how precisely the map lines are drawn.
Jason Kilgore
jwkilgore

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 pm

I added the instructions from the Support Quick Help to the Wiki http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... rt#Closure. If we know any of those instructions to be inaccurate please let me know. I have not had much chance to use the closure option myself, and I just found out that more than one person may need to report the same segment before others will see it on their map.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:45 am

In the SF Bay area I have only seen it active on the road once for a one day temporary closure. Unfortunately it was closed on a part of the road that was open. :roll:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App