Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Road Closure discussion thread

Postby seriousarsonist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Been using this feature in the beta, it's good but it needs the arrows to be larger to make them easier to select

Belfast and Co. Down area manager
Waze Beta - iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.2
ImageImage
Area Manager for Northern Ireland. WME and App Beta Tester. Wazing long enough that the number 13 no longer exists
Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby shawndoc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 pm

I've just read the last few pages of this thread and don't see an explanation. Why is it that often Waze won't allow you to report a closure on a turn it wants to route you on to?

As an example, I used the Report Closure feature the other day. After reporting the ramp closed, Waze routed me around it. All great and good.

What confuses me (and I've seen this before) is that Waze wouldn't allow me to select the ramp while the route wanted me to get on it. Instead (I pulled off the road) I had to "stop navigation" at which point when I tried to report a closure the arrow appeared for the ramp. Then I restarted my route and it routed me past the closure. I was not "too close" to the ramp, Waze clearly had me on the road the ramp crosses, and did have the arrow to mark going straight as closed, just not the turn onto the ramp.

I also saw this once before when trying to report a freeway offramp. Waze would let me select straight, or the turns onto the ramps both before and after the one that I was being routed on to, but not the turn onto the ramp I was supposed to take (which was closed).

In addition, in a thread dealing with a major even with lane closures, it was suggested to use GPS spoofing on an Android phone to report the closures, but to be sure not to have a route through the closures open as that would mess up the ability to use the closure feature. This makes no sense to me? People are most likely going to report closures along the route Waze wants them to take, not on cross streets Waze doesn't want you to take.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:42 pm

jwkilgore wrote:Zoom way in and make the ramp angle about 45 degrees for just a few feet then turn back to the real-life shallow angle. The road will look the same when zoomed out, but it will handle directions better and things like the road closure arrows will stand out better.

We shouldn't have to do this just to work around the closure tool. It should work with our maps, not the other way around.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Problem: I can't close short segments.

The next segment in my route here was closed for construction, but I could not close it in client:

A number of the short segments connecting the sides of St. Charles are also closed for construction of the streetcar tracks:

So why can't I close them?
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm

fvwazing wrote:Curious - in the first image it looks like that short segment is "skipped" and the next (left)turn is offered.

Well, I imagine the left would be offered anyway, as the closure feature includes more than just directly adjacent segments, probably assuming that in many cases drivers would be able to see a few segments ahead. It seems to me the short ones simply aren't being included — not even among the many options in the second image.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah. The "thinks you're too close to the segment to close it" is really badly done. Usually that's when I'm up at the stop sign, the first chance I have to close it safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Good spotting, all.

That... is a pretty awful way for the feature to work.

If a road is closed, it's closed. The road. Doesn't matter which direction you're coming from. This isn't a "turn not allowed" report, it's a "closure" report.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:08 am

^ I agree, this is a big problem. I know I took a screenshot months ago meaning to make a post about it, but I'm not sure I ever got around to it.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 pm

fvwazing wrote:It wasn't the case in my example, but I just remind that the practice of inserting a short (15m) segment in a freeway as means of a "wayfinder" segment or to force directions is not compatible with reporting closures as it works now. [sorryhavenolinkathand]
If it stays like this we will have find different workarounds for those.

Point of clarification if I understand correctly, the issue is with a single un-named segment added BEFORE a split to force instructions (used often in Europe). It is NOT an issue with segments added at the start of EACH path from the split to force instructions (used often in the USA).
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 am

davipt wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Point of clarification if I understand correctly, the issue is with a single un-named segment added BEFORE a split to force instructions (used often in Europe). It is NOT an issue with segments added at the start of EACH path from the split to force instructions (used often in the USA).

OT: link for a thread discussing this? why two different solutions? I'm curious and still undecided how to do these splits myself.

Last OT post: I don't know of a thread discussing both. I only learned of the single "European" split recently. Dual ("USA") method provides for full information mirroring what is on the roadway signs which usually includes the route number and at least one control city. Single ("European") method just sticks to route numbers alone as assigned to the road segments.

Both provide a way to have unique names on both branches of the split compared to the segment leading into the split.

Here is the wiki page I wrote documenting what is typically done in the US.

If anyone wants to chat more, lets start a new topic somewhere :)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze App