Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby fvwazing » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Suggestion: rather than forcing the stressed user through a cascade of menus, have Waze DETECT closures from the deviation of the proposed route. Multiple users deviating at the same point make it ever more likely that a road is closed beyond that point. The part of the route between the deviation and the point where the original route is picked up again is then depreciated - until someone just drives through again.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Can you see who created them?

[edit]
JDAzn and Rick, some plain Wazers probably.
fvwazing

Postby maantje76 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am

3 L5's couldn't block a piece of freeway in our test this evening. A parking lot did work. Routing to it resulted in the following route :-o

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362702999.427389.jpg
(96.34 KiB) Downloaded 1183 times

I'm affraid we can expect more problems of this kind...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby fvwazing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 pm

No, as in my typical freeway-examples above you need 3 or 4 closures for a stretch, each of these confirmed by a number of Wazers, within a reasonable time. Will not happen soon, and until every mousehole is closed expect routing to bend over backwards to send you into that sheet of ice.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 pm

CBenson wrote:
fvwazing wrote:Wazers on the blue track will report THE NEXT SEGMENT closed. As soon as that block works, Wazers coming from the same direction will be guided off the highway ONE EXIT TOO EARLY and into the roadblock - over the green track.

So if I understand this correctly, the reporting wazer will be immediately rerouted based on his/her own closure report. But if on the freeway, where the next segment is just the freeway segment between the off ramp and the on ramp, the reroute can be straight back down the on ramp to the closed freeway. It seems that is what howsmith reports here.

In my first example I assumed that at least the traffic coming down from the last-offramp-before-the-closure would be guided to the next junction after the actual accident, some km further. All traffic coming from behind would be guided as per stupid deviation around the jam reported by the original reporter (assuming there is a jam before the closure; typically there is) and would have to report some closures more.
In MY almost-perfect part of the Waze-world, off-ramps are not connected to on-ramps wherever possible - howsmith ran into a ramp that is clearly mis-configured and in his case he would have had to report another closure - of the onramp.
Anyway, you need a lot more closure-reports for a single stretch of freeway.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm

I just did some testdriving. My area is so clean that I had to make a 20km detour to reach a segment of freeway with extraneous nodes. Well, I could have saved myself the trouble. It is indeed impossible to reach the next split if you are behind an extraneous node. Worse than that; if you are behind a "join" you can select the joining node - but the segment that is reported closed is the one before the join, the segment you are driving at the moment of reporting. Counterintuitive, that is.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 am

I have no positive confirmation, though I asked around in our local forum (would be a miracle by itself, given the participation here). I have not had the opportunity myself to report a valid closure of a freeway. I estimate that 40-50 Wazers were involved in the incident, over a timespan of 5 hours. No doubt that many are not aware of the functionality (I saw a brief reminder of it pop up once, a minute after I drove off). And of those who are aware - not all find the right buttons even though that jam was standing still. Kind of a "Drake's equation" here. What are the odds?
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah, BEFORE a split that is. But I must admit I will have to check that hypothesis, if true it snaps everywhere you have extraneous nodes - every basemap has millions and it would be a very big oversight if that meant you cannot "reach" the next split in the road.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm

It wasn't the case in my example, but I just remind that the practice of inserting a short (15m) segment in a freeway as means of a "wayfinder" segment or to force directions is not compatible with reporting closures as it works now. [sorryhavenolinkathand]
If it stays like this we will have find different workarounds for those.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Yup, if it is clear 100% from the drivingpattern (going left or right) that you cannot have been on the freeway the jam should not get reported or even get revoked. And the stickyness should be related to the actual GPSaccuracy (which can be as good as 7m). These are cuckold issues that, by never addressing, now prevent further development. (Don't get me started!)
fvwazing

Next

Return to Waze App