Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby bz2012 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 pm

suggestion:

IF any WAZE user marks a segment as 'closed' in their direction of travel
route people around that segment until
a) a WAZE user travels through it AT NORMAL SPEED
b) a WAZE user marks the 'segment NOT closed' after traveling nearby.

IF any WAZE user marks ANY nearby segment as 'closed'
route people around that segment until
a) a WAZE user travels through it at NORMAL SPEED
b) a WAZE users marks the 'segment NOT closed' after traveling nearby.

Due allowances must, of course, be made for GPS inaccuracies falsely making it seem like a user is traveling over a closed segment that is parallel to a usable segment.

And a way of choosing which segments are blocked needs to be provided.
A series of questions that can be verbally queued and answered with simple key words would be ideal.
Is the closure on your current route? yes/no
Is the closure ahead of you or behind you? ahead/behind
.... with questions that allow specifying things like
it was off my route, on a ramp on my right
it was on my route and in the other direction...
I suggest starting by compiling possible scenarios and deciding the best ways of covering each of them.
Last edited by bz2012 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby bz2012 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:20 pm

Any word from the meeting?
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby juankx » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 am

Today I tried to do a road closure and document the problem of requiring many users to report the same road closure before it takes effect on routing.

A main route in Costa Rica is being closed because there are nightly maintenance works. This road closure cannot be managed by time restrictions because it is not on the same place every night and nobody knows (somebody must know but probably he is not a waze editor) the exact place where they will work the next night.

The issue here is that a simple road closure report could help a lot of wazers to avoid being redirected and take a lengthy detour. But instead of that, and the waze objective of "Outsmarting Traffic, Together", waze is suggesting the closed route instead of another main route to go to the same place.

I travel through these routes almost every night. Waze sometimes choose one, sometimes another. Most of the time waze chooses the right option. But since one of the main routes is on maintenance it always prefers the closed option. Maybe it thinks: nobody is driving on that route, "it should be faster". But hey, nobody is taking that route because it is closed.

When this kind of situations occurs, a single wazer reporting a road closure could help many other drivers to avoid taking a long detour. But not, when a road is closed and you follow the waze suggestion you have guarantee you are choosing the wrong route.

If someone makes a fake road closure report, it could be identified because many wazers are using that road. In worst case scenario waze will recommend you to take a lengthy detour until someone else use the reported road, but you have the chance to ignore taking a detour and choose the road you think could be faster.

If you ignore a waze suggestion and drive directly to a closed road then you cannot blame waze for that. But when you take the suggested route and you drive directly to the closed route you have right to blame waze for that, and then you have an option to report the issue and prevent another wazers to take that route. How you can help other drivers if waze does not trust on you?.

EDIT: I think that if you have enough level to edit and even delete a segment, you should be able to mark that segment as closed from the app. It just have no sense that waze trust you to edit and does not trust you on road reports. Even if you don't have enough level, maybe a road closure could have effect until someone else drives along that entire segment.
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby juankx » Tue May 06, 2014 6:43 am

According with my observations I can confirm that road closure requires more than 1 report even if you have permission to edit the reported segments. I can also confirm that waze prefers a closed route over an open one, this makes you have to take a detour. I've been making this exercise many days.

The first image is a screenshot of my cellphone. You can see that a police report is shown on both images. However, the road closure reports are not displayed to other users or livemap (second image).
Attachments
RoadClosureReport.png
Waze Screenshot (How I see the road closure reports I've made)
RoadClosureReport.png (231.12 KiB) Viewed 736 times
RoadClosureLiveMap.png
LiveMap (what the other wazers see)
RoadClosureLiveMap.png (86.09 KiB) Viewed 736 times
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Given all the major problems with the road closure feature, I reluctant to bring up a minor issue. But here goes anyway. Does the choice of "Hazard," "Construction," and "Event" make any significant difference to the hazard report? When you report a hazard, if it makes to the map, it is shown on the map with the "closure" pin with the red and white sawhorse barricade and then the red and white stripes on the closed segment. If you tap one of these pins on the map it opens labeled with "Hazard," "Construction" or "Event" depending on what the reporter picked (I have no idea what happens when multiple people reporting the closure pick differently). If the reporter doesn't pick anything, the dialog when you tap the pin is labeled "Closure."

I find the "Hazard" and "Construction" labels to be too easily confused with the non-closure hazard reports (even though the Closure dialog shows the red and white barricade). I suggest that the title of all the closure pop-ups be "Closure." If this is the only effect the "Hazard," "Construction" and "Event" buttons have, I would get rid of them. Reporting a closure is too complicated as it is. I would welcome getting rid of an option when reporting a closure.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby manoeuvre » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:57 pm

https://www.waze.com/livemap

If you search: Queens Park, Toronto, ON, Canada

You'll see the road closure function is actually working here. Entire streets were shutdown for a parade.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canadian Country Manager | Greater Toronto Area Manager | @Waze_Canada
manoeuvre
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:57 pm

CBenson wrote:You can't effectively close a road because you can only indicate a closure for a few segment that you can normally route through from the segment you are on. You can't indicate the road is closed in the middle of the segment you are on.

Skimming this thread suggests despair...

My semi-rural commute is so routine friends laugh at me for using a nav app going home. But finally, an unexpected closure! Finally, a chance to see Waze route me around it!

But no.

Another Wazer had marked a hazard on Felton Empire but no closure. So when I reached the barrier at the intersection of Felton Empire and Fetherston Way I pulled over and said, I'm gonna close this road. Uh-uh. It would let me close Fetherston but not the road that actually needed closing.

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words:

Closure_not_allowed.png
No close option for the road that needs closing!
Closure_not_allowed.png (30.18 KiB) Viewed 443 times
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:28 pm

The interface still drives me nuts. There was a storm that knocked a bunch of trees down in my immediate neighborhood down on Tuesday. It turns out that trees don't always block the road at the intersection. Nor does the power company always put up a barricade at the end of the road when its blocking the road. The inability to say the road you are on (or were just on because you turned around at the blockage) is closed is a problem.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby KidsDrDave » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi folks. New Waze user here. There's a bridge over an interstate that was closed for construction for a few months. I reported it as a construction closure, and then a few days later another user reported the closure as an Event. The bridge has since been opened, but the Event is still in place, and therefore the app tries to route me around it. It's in a really rural area, where overpasses are few and far between, so it really alters my ETA. I've driven across the now-open bridge at least 5 times, but no change on Waze. I commented on the Event, saying it's now open, but I don't see a way to cancel an event that someone else posted. Any ideas?
KidsDrDave

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:53 pm

KidsDrDave wrote:Hi folks. New Waze user here. There's a bridge over an interstate that was closed for construction for a few months. I reported it as a construction closure, and then a few days later another user reported the closure as an Event. The bridge has since been opened, but the Event is still in place, and therefore the app tries to route me around it. It's in a really rural area, where overpasses are few and far between, so it really alters my ETA. I've driven across the now-open bridge at least 5 times, but no change on Waze. I commented on the Event, saying it's now open, but I don't see a way to cancel an event that someone else posted. Any ideas?
Only senior editors can add/remove long term closures. Please post a Permalink to the bridge & a description (backed up with links to government or local news websites if possible) in the proper state forum under the United States section of the forum. You'll get faster, local help posting there.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze App