Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by jwkilgore
CBenson wrote:
jwkilgore wrote:Zoom way in and make the ramp angle about 45 degrees for just a few feet then turn back to the real-life shallow angle. The road will look the same when zoomed out, but it will handle directions better and things like the road closure arrows will stand out better.
I would avoid angles of about 45 degrees. It is better to use departure angles of 20 to 30 degrees as discussed here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junc ... e#Geometry.

45 degrees is the cut off between giving a keep/exit or a turn instruction. So unless you are really good at distinguishing 44 degree angles from 46 degree angles, when you make an angle of "about 45 degrees" you don't really know if you are creating an exit instruction or a turn instruction.
CBenson is correct; I was thinking increase the angle but make sure you're less than 45 degrees, but that's not what I typed :oops:

I also agree with the later statement that the client-based road-closure procedure should be independent of how precisely the map lines are drawn.
jwkilgore
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c
Area Manager: Mississippi and Tennessee

Post by kentsmith9
I added the instructions from the Support Quick Help to the Wiki http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... rt#Closure. If we know any of those instructions to be inaccurate please let me know. I have not had much chance to use the closure option myself, and I just found out that more than one person may need to report the same segment before others will see it on their map.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
In the SF Bay area I have only seen it active on the road once for a one day temporary closure. Unfortunately it was closed on a part of the road that was open. :roll:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by khaytsus
Just to note, I had a UR today that someone tried to report a major accident that closed down an interstate and the only options they had for reporting was a ramp. They could not select the interstate to report as closed.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by KidsDrDave
Hi folks. New Waze user here. There's a bridge over an interstate that was closed for construction for a few months. I reported it as a construction closure, and then a few days later another user reported the closure as an Event. The bridge has since been opened, but the Event is still in place, and therefore the app tries to route me around it. It's in a really rural area, where overpasses are few and far between, so it really alters my ETA. I've driven across the now-open bridge at least 5 times, but no change on Waze. I commented on the Event, saying it's now open, but I don't see a way to cancel an event that someone else posted. Any ideas?
KidsDrDave
Send a message

Post by lakeyboy
I honestly think that Waze has set it's bar too high for accepting road closures. I'm a level 3 editor and I tried to report a closure on a local road which no wazer has probably ever driven down, and the icon appears for a closure after filling out the form, but then goes away quickly and doesn't close the road for others. I can understand for frequently used roads it takes a few wazers but if one experienced user can't close one unimportant road, something is wrong.
lakeyboy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Proud Melburnian and Australian Country Manager.
Map edits: 322,000+ | Distance travelled: 134,050km+ | Reports made: 3660+
Join in more Australian Waze discussion on Discord!: https://discordapp.com/channels/446249570423406605

Post by maantje76
3 L5's couldn't block a piece of freeway in our test this evening. A parking lot did work. Routing to it resulted in the following route :-o
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362702999.427389.jpg
(96.34 KiB) Downloaded 1400 times
I'm affraid we can expect more problems of this kind...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by manoeuvre
https://www.waze.com/livemap

If you search: Queens Park, Toronto, ON, Canada

You'll see the road closure function is actually working here. Entire streets were shutdown for a parade.
manoeuvre
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by mssusa
fvwazing wrote:I had a second look at my example, and I noticed that traffic was reported (dark red line) on the stretches of freeway between off-ramp and on-ramp. These are the exact stretches that would be expected to receive a closure-report. This is what may have happened: someone reports this stretch between the off-ramp and on-ramp closed but before a second (or third?) closure-report comes in to confirm that and make it valid another Wazer comes up, with the routing still over the freeway. As this other Wazer diverts from the freeway and lines up in the jam on the off-ramp his position STAYS LOCKED on the freeway, thus creating a jam there as well as obliterating the closure-report. No chance that enough closure-reports come together to confirm the closure!
Plausible. Even reports you submit after deviating from the highway are attached to the highway. This is very troubling when all the highways in your city have parallel service or frontage roads. Maybe the stickiness (matcher?) while navigating AND running into a jam can be reduced to match the setting while not in navigation mode. I usually find the client more accurate in differentiating between highways and their service roads when I'm not in navigation mode.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
davipt wrote:
CBenson wrote:I would avoid angles of about 45 degrees. It is better to use departure angles of 20 to 30 degrees as discussed here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junc ... e#Geometry.
There seems to be a new script for that, but haven't tested it.
I found it just as easy to hit intermediate degrees like 30 and 70 - that takes a lot less time than actually measuring the degrees to be sure you're right.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.