Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am

This just happened to be my view of the closure. I've yet to run into an instance of someone else reporting a closure. This particular one was given a "long term" status for closure due to the road being torn out completely for construction that will last months. It stayed visible to me longer than a few hours, but by the next day was no longer visible.
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby foxitrot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:28 am

Thanks.
Just... is it your view of the segment after reporting its closure, or does everyone see the closure this way after it being accepted by the servers?
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:22 am

Here's an example (two views of the same closure)...
[ img ]
[ img ]
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby foxitrot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 am

Could please someone post a client screenshot of a successfully blocked road (if it is visually marked at all), or point me to one?
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 pm

In an effort to be able to reference all the available road closure information, I think it worth it to reference here this thread regarding the use of the road closure feature.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:18 pm

This morning I tried to mark a road with "construction" it wouldn't work. It would put a logo but road remains white. I also get an error.
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby DangerDaneDK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:09 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:when I selected the road closed feature, it still gave me options like I was on the prior block.

I'd post this in the feedback thread. This feature is still pretty buggy.

And I had that issue as well.

But I tried it the other day driving to a clients place. Once I had marked it as blocked it showed up, at least in my client as block for the most of the evening. When I dropped the client off roughly 4-5 hours later Waze had again removed it.

I just wish Waze would allow people, ie Map Editors level x or higher to mark a road as blocked, enter in a date where the road "should" be unblocked again and then the algoriphms would mark the road as blocked and route around it, right until that date and then automatically suspend the roadblock.... Unless the editor goes in and updates the date as the situation changes.

Its either that or the map editors marking the route as being one way only....
DangerDaneDK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jwkilgore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

The only change with my suggestion would be that there would simply be more roads available to click on. No advanced gaming skills required.

Actually, you are helping to make my point. While sitting in slow traffic one segment before the exit ramp, you can spend all the time you want to report the road 3 segments ahead is closed. Give a detailed description. Carefully make sure you select the correct road segment(s). Type a novel into the comments box.

The problem comes when you have to wait until you are right at the turn before you can report the closure (and possibly an accident) while trying to accelerate along with traffic.

Same exact complaint when sitting in a traffic backup behind a wreck (not a closure, just a slowdown), or in construction, or whatever. Do you report the wreck in the wrong place with lots of info, or do you wait until you are passing the wreck to report it correctly but with no information?
jwkilgore

Postby fvwazing » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:24 am

jwkilgore wrote:The solution is simple:
- Expand the closeable roads to include 3-4 segments in either direction starting at the one you're on, including the segment you are on.

I am afraid the solution is not that simple. Yes, there are situations where your scheme could help in reaching at least more of the segments that you want to report closed. Even the typical #-crossing is impossible to close now. But with more options to choose from than the current "solution" it would take patience, a precise control over your fingertip and maybe even advanced gaming skills ;) . It takes a very cool head to do that on the freeway, at the same moment slamming your bakes to avoid running into a jam, with ambulances and firetrucks whizzing by, police motorists clearing the traffic as it rolls, at night and in bad weather.

And it is not enough that YOU manage to do all that, some other Wazers have to confirm/copy your actions as well.
fvwazing

Postby jwkilgore » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 pm

It just so happens that they're doing a massive pavement grinding/repaving operation all around my building and parking garage this week so I've had the opportunity to play around with the Road Closure feature.

My main problem is similar to other reporting problems with Waze: ability to report something other than where you are RIGHT NOW. Specifically it only allows the closure of segments immediately adjacent to the segment you're on, or segments adjacent to where you just drove. During an entire week of road closure reporting I have never managed to successfully report all the affected roads as closed because Waze won't let me.

Examples:
1) Driving north on a split boulevard, I observed that the south-bound lanes are closed. Hit the Report -> Road closure feature, but it would not let me report the other lane as closed because it was separated from mine by one segment (the cross street at the nearest intersection).
2) I observe a road closure ahead. Because of one-way streets, I turn off this road 1 block ahead of the closure. The next segment is open, and I cannot report the closed segment because it is too far away from me. I assume that if I could have hit the report button while in the middle of the intersection just as I was turning Waze would think I was going straight so I could have reported it, but reporting a closure isn't worth a wreck.
3) I observe the road I am on is closed at the next intersection, and successfully report it closed. But the closure extends for 3 blocks, and I cannot report the adjoining segments.
4) This morning, the segments for my parking garage (both entrances) were closed. The entrance is a very short distance down the segment so I was able to drive around the signs and enter anyway. It would not let me report my segment was closed because obviously I was driving on it. I could have reported it BEFORE I entered the segment, but I assume that driving on it afterwards would have nullified the closure report.

The examples in (1-3) are ones that have been rehashed several times; the other situations were with people reporting a closure while exiting a highway, but because they're only allowed to report the next segment Waze will just route people around that segment and right back into the mess.

The example in (4) has huge implications with interstate driving because segments are often ridiculously long (another complaint of mine). Because divided highways will always be separated by at least one segment from the other driving direction, and you cannot report your own segment, no one will be able to report it closed until the backup reaches one node to the rear. The road could be blocked by a huge wreck in the desert and people could be setting up tents, building campfires, and cooking supper in the middle of the road. But 20 miles back Waze is happily routing new sheep into the carnage.

The solution is simple:
- Expand the closeable roads to include 3-4 segments in either direction starting at the one you're on, including the segment you are on.
jwkilgore

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App