Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby davipt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:55 pm

foxitrot wrote:Humorously (or sadly), I'm just allowed to cut off any of the green arrows, which could lead me out of my segment :roll:

I did that myself. Locked myself at home, couldn't get a route out of the parking :mrgreen:
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 pm

fvwazing wrote:Irrespective of the continuing roadblock, WHY does Waze send me into a 40 minute jam, without as much as blinking?

OT, I know, but I'm curious as to what waze gives you for alternate routes.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm

I had my first opportunity to use the road closure feature in the wild this morning also. First, as I expected waze did reroute me after I indicated that the road ahead on my route was closed.

The interface is rather clunky to use, but I could get the job done. In this first experience in the city, it seems that waze wants to simply reroute around the block to get you back on your route rather than calculate a new best route to your destination from the point where you indicate the closure (this is only my gut feeling, maybe going around the block would be the best new route). However, as it not unlikely that multiple blocks of a city street may be closed at once, that means you have to go through the "road closure" input multiple times as waze keeps trying to take you back to the closed road one block further down. This is a rather onerous method of indicating a multiple segment closure that I suspect most users won't put up with.

I also found that the "Changing route" popup that comes up when you indicate that the road on your route is closed to be rather annoying. Of course waze is changing the route, why do I need to fiddle with yet another action to close the popup to see the intersection though which I am being rerouted?
ClosureChangeRoute.jpg
(29.27 KiB) Downloaded 1319 times

As far as needing multiple users to report a closed road, I hope that this takes into account the normal volume on the road. I understand, needing multiple indications in the circumstance where the road doesn't normally have sufficient recent data to show it is not being used. But for a major thoroughfare that normally sees multiple users in any 10 minute span, it seems to me that one user indicating that the road is closed, plus the absence of any new tracks should be sufficient to cause other users to be rerouted.

A couple of other points that I noted, for the first block that was closed I did not enter a duration. For the second block that I indicated closed, I entered a duration of all day (a temporary building was being constructed on the road next the convention center). When I arrived at the office maybe 15 minutes later, both showed on my phone, but neither shows on the live map. A few minutes later, the first (duration-less) closure pin disappeared from my phone, but the second (all day) pin remains on my phone now.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Well, today I had the chance to witness a situation develop on a freeway near me. A stretch of freeway was closed in both directions because of a big fire - the smoke created dangerous situations. It started almost 5 hours ago, and it is not over yet. All the traffic jams around it were signalized by the dozens of Wazers that were routed into the area. Yes, DOZENS. From n00bs to royalty - at no time the freeway was signaled closed by Waze. Not visibly marked, and not avoided by the routing. The Wazers stuck in the jams may have had opportunity to report as the traffic jams slowed down to 5-6kmh.

Total failure. Assuming that the road-blocking by itself technically works as advertised: we need a lot of education for this feature (and a lot of patience).

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

...and the misery goes into its 6th hour, with the fridayafternoon-jams expected anytime soon (this is just the prelude).
Irrespective of the continuing roadblock, WHY does Waze send me into a 40 minute jam, without as much as blinking?

[ img ]
fvwazing

Postby scarlogarcia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:46 pm

http://www.waze.com/blog/

So, How Does It Work?

It’s easy. Upon encountering a road closure, just tap the closure icon in the report screen. Choose the type of closure (hazard, construction, or ‘event’) and mark how long you anticipate it’ll last. For extended closures, the map editing community will close the roads via the Waze map editor.

Once a road closure is properly reported, Waze will close off the road and route others around it.

Smart systems are also in place to ensure accuracy and predict reality. Waze will only close down a road once its algorithm has enough evidence to discount the possibility of error. Alternatively, once Waze detects cars driving on a closed off street, it will automatically return the road to its normal status and routing will resume as normal.

That's all we had "officially"
scarlogarcia

Postby fvwazing » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 am

If workings are as described, we will need at least 6 reporting Wazers to shut down a typical stretch of highway.

Consider this situation - road blocked at "X".

step2.png
(109.43 KiB) Downloaded 3182 times

Wazers on the blue track will report THE NEXT SEGMENT closed. As soon as that block works, Wazers coming from the same direction will be guided off the highway ONE EXIT TOO EARLY and into the roadblock - over the green track. The density of loose Wazers driving around and reporting the entry-ramp closed is far less than those on the highway - per definition, almost.

It remains to be seen how many Wazers will find the time to report AND do it right - I estimate it is far less than 100% unless they have a Waze-enthousiast as a passenger.
fvwazing

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am

davipt wrote:What do you exactly mean "it closed straight away"?

The term "straight away" means "immediately."

Question xteejx: you are stating that it reported "closed" and would not route for your friend, correct?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 am

xteejx wrote:Tested this a couple hours ago. A noob friend, pink not baby, reported a closure.
Didn't appear on my client but when I reported it, it closed straight away.
I'm a level 4 editor, he's a level 0 or 1, whatever that first one is now.

What do you exactly mean "it closed straight away"?
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:41 am

Tested this a couple hours ago. A noob friend, pink not baby, reported a closure.
Didn't appear on my client but when I reported it, it closed straight away.
I'm a level 4 editor, he's a level 0 or 1, whatever that first one is now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Re: Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby mssusa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

fvwazing wrote:I had a second look at my example, and I noticed that traffic was reported (dark red line) on the stretches of freeway between off-ramp and on-ramp. These are the exact stretches that would be expected to receive a closure-report. This is what may have happened: someone reports this stretch between the off-ramp and on-ramp closed but before a second (or third?) closure-report comes in to confirm that and make it valid another Wazer comes up, with the routing still over the freeway. As this other Wazer diverts from the freeway and lines up in the jam on the off-ramp his position STAYS LOCKED on the freeway, thus creating a jam there as well as obliterating the closure-report. No chance that enough closure-reports come together to confirm the closure!

Plausible. Even reports you submit after deviating from the highway are attached to the highway. This is very troubling when all the highways in your city have parallel service or frontage roads. Maybe the stickiness (matcher?) while navigating AND running into a jam can be reduced to match the setting while not in navigation mode. I usually find the client more accurate in differentiating between highways and their service roads when I'm not in navigation mode.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Previous

Return to Waze App