Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Postby fvwazing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 pm

CBenson wrote:
fvwazing wrote:Wazers on the blue track will report THE NEXT SEGMENT closed. As soon as that block works, Wazers coming from the same direction will be guided off the highway ONE EXIT TOO EARLY and into the roadblock - over the green track.

So if I understand this correctly, the reporting wazer will be immediately rerouted based on his/her own closure report. But if on the freeway, where the next segment is just the freeway segment between the off ramp and the on ramp, the reroute can be straight back down the on ramp to the closed freeway. It seems that is what howsmith reports here.

In my first example I assumed that at least the traffic coming down from the last-offramp-before-the-closure would be guided to the next junction after the actual accident, some km further. All traffic coming from behind would be guided as per stupid deviation around the jam reported by the original reporter (assuming there is a jam before the closure; typically there is) and would have to report some closures more.
In MY almost-perfect part of the Waze-world, off-ramps are not connected to on-ramps wherever possible - howsmith ran into a ramp that is clearly mis-configured and in his case he would have had to report another closure - of the onramp.
Anyway, you need a lot more closure-reports for a single stretch of freeway.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby CBenson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Road still closed this morning. I had another failure reporting it. I was stopped at the traffic light at the intersection before entering the last block before the closure. I knew that I couldn't yet enter the closure. So I waited until I entered the next block and could see my car icon on the segment before the closure. However, when I selected the road closed feature, it still gave me options like I was on the prior block. I couldn't figure out how to get my position refreshed to show the correct options before it was too late to input the closure.
ClosureFail2.jpg
ClosureFail2.jpg (20.74 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm

CBenson wrote:when I selected the road closed feature, it still gave me options like I was on the prior block.

I'd post this in the feedback thread. This feature is still pretty buggy.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I tested the feature as well.
This morning and one other time, Waze gave me an error saying: "sorry, message could not sent", yet it placed the road closure icon on the map.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 pm

I-84 was closed this morning due to several multi-vehicle accidents because the road was a "sheet of ice". DOT was routing traffic off at an exit and back on further down the highway - this closure covered multiple Waze segments (the segment between the off ramp and the on ramp, the segment after the on ramp, etc, etc). There doesn't appear to be a way to close multiple segments, or am I missing something?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 pm

No, as in my typical freeway-examples above you need 3 or 4 closures for a stretch, each of these confirmed by a number of Wazers, within a reasonable time. Will not happen soon, and until every mousehole is closed expect routing to bend over backwards to send you into that sheet of ice.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby maantje76 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am

3 L5's couldn't block a piece of freeway in our test this evening. A parking lot did work. Routing to it resulted in the following route :-o

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362702999.427389.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362702999.427389.jpg (96.34 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

I'm affraid we can expect more problems of this kind...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby jwkilgore » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 pm

It just so happens that they're doing a massive pavement grinding/repaving operation all around my building and parking garage this week so I've had the opportunity to play around with the Road Closure feature.

My main problem is similar to other reporting problems with Waze: ability to report something other than where you are RIGHT NOW. Specifically it only allows the closure of segments immediately adjacent to the segment you're on, or segments adjacent to where you just drove. During an entire week of road closure reporting I have never managed to successfully report all the affected roads as closed because Waze won't let me.

Examples:
1) Driving north on a split boulevard, I observed that the south-bound lanes are closed. Hit the Report -> Road closure feature, but it would not let me report the other lane as closed because it was separated from mine by one segment (the cross street at the nearest intersection).
2) I observe a road closure ahead. Because of one-way streets, I turn off this road 1 block ahead of the closure. The next segment is open, and I cannot report the closed segment because it is too far away from me. I assume that if I could have hit the report button while in the middle of the intersection just as I was turning Waze would think I was going straight so I could have reported it, but reporting a closure isn't worth a wreck.
3) I observe the road I am on is closed at the next intersection, and successfully report it closed. But the closure extends for 3 blocks, and I cannot report the adjoining segments.
4) This morning, the segments for my parking garage (both entrances) were closed. The entrance is a very short distance down the segment so I was able to drive around the signs and enter anyway. It would not let me report my segment was closed because obviously I was driving on it. I could have reported it BEFORE I entered the segment, but I assume that driving on it afterwards would have nullified the closure report.

The examples in (1-3) are ones that have been rehashed several times; the other situations were with people reporting a closure while exiting a highway, but because they're only allowed to report the next segment Waze will just route people around that segment and right back into the mess.

The example in (4) has huge implications with interstate driving because segments are often ridiculously long (another complaint of mine). Because divided highways will always be separated by at least one segment from the other driving direction, and you cannot report your own segment, no one will be able to report it closed until the backup reaches one node to the rear. The road could be blocked by a huge wreck in the desert and people could be setting up tents, building campfires, and cooking supper in the middle of the road. But 20 miles back Waze is happily routing new sheep into the carnage.

The solution is simple:
- Expand the closeable roads to include 3-4 segments in either direction starting at the one you're on, including the segment you are on.
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c
Area Manager: Mississippi and Tennessee
jwkilgore

Postby fvwazing » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:24 am

jwkilgore wrote:The solution is simple:
- Expand the closeable roads to include 3-4 segments in either direction starting at the one you're on, including the segment you are on.

I am afraid the solution is not that simple. Yes, there are situations where your scheme could help in reaching at least more of the segments that you want to report closed. Even the typical #-crossing is impossible to close now. But with more options to choose from than the current "solution" it would take patience, a precise control over your fingertip and maybe even advanced gaming skills ;) . It takes a very cool head to do that on the freeway, at the same moment slamming your bakes to avoid running into a jam, with ambulances and firetrucks whizzing by, police motorists clearing the traffic as it rolls, at night and in bad weather.

And it is not enough that YOU manage to do all that, some other Wazers have to confirm/copy your actions as well.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby jwkilgore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

The only change with my suggestion would be that there would simply be more roads available to click on. No advanced gaming skills required.

Actually, you are helping to make my point. While sitting in slow traffic one segment before the exit ramp, you can spend all the time you want to report the road 3 segments ahead is closed. Give a detailed description. Carefully make sure you select the correct road segment(s). Type a novel into the comments box.

The problem comes when you have to wait until you are right at the turn before you can report the closure (and possibly an accident) while trying to accelerate along with traffic.

Same exact complaint when sitting in a traffic backup behind a wreck (not a closure, just a slowdown), or in construction, or whatever. Do you report the wreck in the wrong place with lots of info, or do you wait until you are passing the wreck to report it correctly but with no information?
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c
Area Manager: Mississippi and Tennessee
jwkilgore

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App