Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby juankx » Tue May 06, 2014 6:43 am

According with my observations I can confirm that road closure requires more than 1 report even if you have permission to edit the reported segments. I can also confirm that waze prefers a closed route over an open one, this makes you have to take a detour. I've been making this exercise many days.

The first image is a screenshot of my cellphone. You can see that a police report is shown on both images. However, the road closure reports are not displayed to other users or livemap (second image).
Attachments
RoadClosureReport.png
Waze Screenshot (How I see the road closure reports I've made)
RoadClosureReport.png (231.12 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
RoadClosureLiveMap.png
LiveMap (what the other wazers see)
RoadClosureLiveMap.png (86.09 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby juankx » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 am

Today I tried to do a road closure and document the problem of requiring many users to report the same road closure before it takes effect on routing.

A main route in Costa Rica is being closed because there are nightly maintenance works. This road closure cannot be managed by time restrictions because it is not on the same place every night and nobody knows (somebody must know but probably he is not a waze editor) the exact place where they will work the next night.

The issue here is that a simple road closure report could help a lot of wazers to avoid being redirected and take a lengthy detour. But instead of that, and the waze objective of "Outsmarting Traffic, Together", waze is suggesting the closed route instead of another main route to go to the same place.

I travel through these routes almost every night. Waze sometimes choose one, sometimes another. Most of the time waze chooses the right option. But since one of the main routes is on maintenance it always prefers the closed option. Maybe it thinks: nobody is driving on that route, "it should be faster". But hey, nobody is taking that route because it is closed.

When this kind of situations occurs, a single wazer reporting a road closure could help many other drivers to avoid taking a long detour. But not, when a road is closed and you follow the waze suggestion you have guarantee you are choosing the wrong route.

If someone makes a fake road closure report, it could be identified because many wazers are using that road. In worst case scenario waze will recommend you to take a lengthy detour until someone else use the reported road, but you have the chance to ignore taking a detour and choose the road you think could be faster.

If you ignore a waze suggestion and drive directly to a closed road then you cannot blame waze for that. But when you take the suggested route and you drive directly to the closed route you have right to blame waze for that, and then you have an option to report the issue and prevent another wazers to take that route. How you can help other drivers if waze does not trust on you?.

EDIT: I think that if you have enough level to edit and even delete a segment, you should be able to mark that segment as closed from the app. It just have no sense that waze trust you to edit and does not trust you on road reports. Even if you don't have enough level, maybe a road closure could have effect until someone else drives along that entire segment.
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby juankx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:05 pm

CBenson wrote:You can't indicate the road is closed in the middle of the segment you are on.

I had this problem many times in the past. There is no way to report when a two-way road segment is closed in the middle.

You know the road is closed until you reach that point in the middle of that road segment. Then you have to go back and look for an alternative route. You can't close the road at this point, because the app don't let you close the route you have taken. Also you can't close the road once you go back and reach a junction, beacuse the app don't allow you to close the road segment where you are coming from.

Caradellino wrote:The need to proof a report as legit comes from the fear of false reports (my hypohtesis) Maybe there won't be a need for harsh restrictions on accepting reports, if just a single Wazer going over THE WHOLE closed segment would reset the closure, therefore allmost imediately clearing any false reports...

After a single wazer goes over THE WHOLE segment: In case of roads closed in the middle, the reset should be made after the user completes all the way thru that segment and must be ignored the users that go back. Moreover, when many wazers go back from one point is an indication that something is happening.
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby holmes4 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

I reported a closure the other day - a side street under construction for a week and half. Attached a photo too. Nothing shows on the map. I won't bother in the future.
Steve
holmes4

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 pm

I've just read the last few pages of this thread and don't see an explanation. Why is it that often Waze won't allow you to report a closure on a turn it wants to route you on to?

As an example, I used the Report Closure feature the other day. After reporting the ramp closed, Waze routed me around it. All great and good.

What confuses me (and I've seen this before) is that Waze wouldn't allow me to select the ramp while the route wanted me to get on it. Instead (I pulled off the road) I had to "stop navigation" at which point when I tried to report a closure the arrow appeared for the ramp. Then I restarted my route and it routed me past the closure. I was not "too close" to the ramp, Waze clearly had me on the road the ramp crosses, and did have the arrow to mark going straight as closed, just not the turn onto the ramp.

I also saw this once before when trying to report a freeway offramp. Waze would let me select straight, or the turns onto the ramps both before and after the one that I was being routed on to, but not the turn onto the ramp I was supposed to take (which was closed).

In addition, in a thread dealing with a major even with lane closures, it was suggested to use GPS spoofing on an Android phone to report the closures, but to be sure not to have a route through the closures open as that would mess up the ability to use the closure feature. This makes no sense to me? People are most likely going to report closures along the route Waze wants them to take, not on cross streets Waze doesn't want you to take.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby fvwazing » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 am

It really isn't that simple. For one, the current system could stay as it is so that deeggo could report as he pleases (if he can reach the right buttons in time). But as soon as a Wazer leaves the proposed route a dialog could pop up (at the same moment the recalculation kicks in) asking if the deviation is a) caused by a closure b) caused by buildup of traffic ahead c) because of a maperror or d) because a better/faster/shorter route is expected that way. Or that dialog is omitted, and it would take more deviating Wazers to confirm a closure.

More complication: During the deviation the Wazer will be presented a number of times with alternatives that bring him to the original route, and these may be ignored as well. Do these deviations weigh in along with the original ones?
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Suggestion: rather than forcing the stressed user through a cascade of menus, have Waze DETECT closures from the deviation of the proposed route. Multiple users deviating at the same point make it ever more likely that a road is closed beyond that point. The part of the route between the deviation and the point where the original route is picked up again is then depreciated - until someone just drives through again.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Can you see who created them?

[edit]
JDAzn and Rick, some plain Wazers probably.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 pm

It should be possible to deduct closures from drivingpatterns, from the deviation of the proposed route. Something I call the "Reversed Ant Colony Optimization" (no need to google that yet!).
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 pm

holmes4 wrote:I reported a closure the other day - a side street under construction for a week and half. Attached a photo too. Nothing shows on the map. I won't bother in the future.

It is not enough to report a closure alone - more people have to report the same closure. If reporting once is hard, reporting 3 times is hard to the power 3.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App