Road Closure discussion thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Road Closure discussion thread

Postby fvwazing » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 am

It really isn't that simple. For one, the current system could stay as it is so that deeggo could report as he pleases (if he can reach the right buttons in time). But as soon as a Wazer leaves the proposed route a dialog could pop up (at the same moment the recalculation kicks in) asking if the deviation is a) caused by a closure b) caused by buildup of traffic ahead c) because of a maperror or d) because a better/faster/shorter route is expected that way. Or that dialog is omitted, and it would take more deviating Wazers to confirm a closure.

More complication: During the deviation the Wazer will be presented a number of times with alternatives that bring him to the original route, and these may be ignored as well. Do these deviations weigh in along with the original ones?
fvwazing

Postby deeggo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 am

It's not that simple. I often pass closed highway exits which I don't need to take anyway. I wouldn't be able to report those then. On the other hand, I'm not reporting them now either because the whole system just doesn't close anything off effectively.
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:50 pm

Interesting idea.... so one would simply report a road closure, with no other information required. WAZE would compare the actual path with the suggested route and consider the point of departure as the point of closure.

I think that could be made to work!

More WAZERS reports would 'firm up' the closure, along with requests to confirm the closure, similar to the current requests to confirm other reports.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby bz2012 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Recently, I have been fixing a lot of URs and occasionally advising the reporter that, for temporary road construction, they should report a closure rather than a map issue.

The only problem is that when I have tried to actually report a closure, I have found it very difficult to do.

When I try while located before the closure, often I can not click on the proper arrow. For example, when an exit ramp is closed, such as this one: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat=29.72905&lon=-95.44554&layers=1924&segments=47697423&env=usa the 'arrow' for continuing on US59 covers the arrow for the exit ramp and the ramp can not be selected.

And, of course, If I am already ON the ramp, the only closure I can select is https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat=29.72952&lon=-95.4422&layers=1924&segments=77747168&env=usa
So, I can understand now, why the drivers are not using the Report closure.

Suggestion:
When a driver selects "report closure" , WAZE should ASK 'ahead of you or behind you?'
It should then go through a list of questions to narrow down the closed segment selection.
I should have been able to say 'ahead', 'to my right'
or 'ahead', 'to my left'.
Or 'behind me', 'on the road taken'
or 'behind me', 'on the road not taken'
or something similar to this.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby paulkok_my » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:12 am

finbarr69 wrote:
Postby CBenson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:54 pm

So today, M Street SE in Washington is closed due to the shootings at the Navy Yard. I could not close the ramp from I-695 to M Street as I passed it. I could manage to hit the little arrow, but that didn't enable the "Next" button.
MClosure.png

Hello, Did anybody answer this question? I am having the same issue.
I am unable to add a road closure. I can open the road closure screen but after selecting the direction of closure I cannot continue. The 'Next' button is greyed out. Help
What version of the client are you using?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
paulkok_my
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby finbarr69 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:31 am

Postby CBenson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:54 pm

So today, M Street SE in Washington is closed due to the shootings at the Navy Yard. I could not close the ramp from I-695 to M Street as I passed it. I could manage to hit the little arrow, but that didn't enable the "Next" button.
MClosure.png

Hello, Did anybody answer this question? I am having the same issue.
I am unable to add a road closure. I can open the road closure screen but after selecting the direction of closure I cannot continue. The 'Next' button is greyed out. Help
finbarr69

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:15 am

Had a chance to finally test out closures on an interstate. I-80 E in Council Bluffs, IA is closed for a day or so based for repairing a major hole that developed in the interstate resulting in emergency closures.

Doing routing tests afterwards showed Waze sagely steered around the closures to reach the destination in the next best possible way.

[ img ]

[ img ]
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:26 pm

US-specific discussion of the Navy Yard shootings road closures moved here: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=62660
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

CBenson wrote:What do road closure pins without red/white closed road segments mean?
How does one create such pins?

Those are probably from the app, but not enough "power" to actually close the segments?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 pm

So here is a current shot of the live map area around the Navy Yard.
916NavyYard.png
(194.97 KiB) Downloaded 705 times

What do road closure pins without red/white closed road segments mean?
How does one create such pins?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App