Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

How do I get a male voice?

Post by sorcererdale
Since the new update I have not been able to find the male voice I had. I also had to get a replacement phone, so I am not sure which or if both are the issue. I don't want the female voice that is on Waze. I want the one I had before, called Michael from USA, which I downloaded but don't know if that was what was on my Waze before the update and replacement phone.

How does one change the person's voice on Waze?
sorcererdale

POSTER_ID:5943137

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
brianp6621 wrote:I find this incredibly unintuitive and non-obvious. That setting seems to imply it only has to do with routing (street names/Navigation guidance) not that it should have any impact on the hazards that are announced in general UN-routed driving or the voices you can select for ALL audio alerts.
Yes, you're correct. There are a few different app settings which are non-intuitive. We're hoping to keep squashing these, but Waze is more focused on new features, and fixing or adding settings isn't something they've been interested in doing for ... years.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Bill_Me wrote:Did the new version dump the other male voice options? I was using English (Nathan), this new version doesn't have it anymore or even have the option to download another voice.
Please read the thread. Posted right above:
WeeeZer14 wrote:(Beat by CBenson...)
Also play with Menu > Settings > Sound > Navigation Guidance which will change the options available in the first menu.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Bill_Me wrote: Am I to assume that is a setting that Waze is not interested in fixing either?
As mentioned above, change the navigation guidance in the Sound settings (not General) to minimal (no street names, with themes) and then you'll have more options for language. This is the way it is. There is no support for other voices with spoken street names because the software Waze licenses doesn't support them.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Bill_Me
Did the new version dump the other male voice options? I was using English (Nathan), this new version doesn't have it anymore or even have the option to download another voice.
Bill_Me
Send a message

Post by Bill_Me
So under "Language", I've selected "English". In the Navigation Guidance there are six entries. Two are English (male and female) and the other four are Espanol??? Am I to assume that is a setting that Waze is not interested in fixing either?
Bill_Me
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Where are you? What phone do you have? What are your current options under Menu>Settings>General>Navigation guidance?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by hockeybrian
I sorta just ran into this and I think how Waze handles this is awkward.

When my wife and I were travelling together I noticed that her app would say
"Caution: Car stopped on the shoulder ahead"

while mine would say
"Hazard ahead"

I couldn't find ANY settings that appear to be related. I also realized I couldn't find how to change my voice from a man to woman anymore. It wasn't until I fiddle with the navigation guidance from "Directions only" to "Including street names" that the voice selection became visible again and that my phone started saying the whole event at hazards.

I find this incredibly unintuitive and non-obvious. That setting seems to imply it only has to do with routing (street names/Navigation guidance) not that it should have any impact on the hazards that are announced in general UN-routed driving or the voices you can select for ALL audio alerts.

I really think waze should clarify the voice options in the future.
hockeybrian
Send a message

Post by jarretp
Try under language?
jarretp
Send a message

Post by louschett
In waze settings...go to "sound".
At the top of the page, above "prompts volume" click on the bar (navigation guidance).
The drop down menu offers numerous options for voices..i.e Elvis, Tom, Randy etc...
Good luck.
louschett
Send a message