Waze 3.6: black screen after reporting

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Waze 3.6: black screen after reporting

Postby bugjargal » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi all,

Since yesterday, I'm facing an issue that makes waze almost unusable.

First of, here's the context:
-Waze 3.6
-ROM Omega v44.1 (Android 4.2.1)
-Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300)

My issue:
Waze seems to work ok until I click the 'Report' button located bottom right. Whether I go on and report something or simply go back without reporting anything, I end up with a black screen with only the two buttons available. No more map display.

If I tap one of the two buttons, I can see the map (and all wazers or events) displayed in the background of the menu that pops up. But as soon as I get out of the menu, I'm back on that black screen.

Note that only the 'Report' button triggers this problem, if I tap the main button bottom left, I can go back to the map with no pb.

Workaround: Not really. Only exiting the app restores the map.

I also noticed that if I stay on that black screen, my device will shutdown its screen (Waze option to prevent this does not work). As long as I'm seeing the map, it behaves as expected on that topic.

What I tried to fix this (with no luck):
-Removed Waze after wipping data/cache
-Removed remaining files manuallly
-Went to recovery and wiped cache/dalvik +fix permissions
-Deactivated autozoom in waze settings (who knows... :roll: )

Did anybody see this before?

Thanks ;)
Oh. And by the way: great software guys! Thanks for all the effort and thanks to all wazers...
bugjargal

Re: Waze 3.6: black screen after reporting

Postby kentonn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:34 pm

remerle wrote:I had the same problem with 3.7.2 on stock, rooted, Samsung GS4. It turned out to be because waze was added to the list of apps supported by the multi-window feature. I downloaded Multi Window Manager from the Play store and removed Waze from the list of supported apps.

After a reboot, Waze now works fine - no more black screen.

Exactly...Waze has been working fine ever since I disabled it from multi-window.
I did not try running it within a multi-window with one window minimized as others have mentioned here. I might give it a try since I would be nice to have multi-window functionality.
kentonn

Postby remerle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 pm

I had the same problem with 3.7.2 on stock, rooted, Samsung GS4. It turned out to be because waze was added to the list of apps supported by the multi-window feature. I downloaded Multi Window Manager from the Play store and removed Waze from the list of supported apps.

After a reboot, Waze now works fine - no more black screen.
remerle

Postby makemebacon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Same here -- I just upgraded to 3.7.2 and the issue still occurs. Galaxy S4.
makemebacon

Postby wulfredz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 pm

I tried open the waze in multimode and the other window open any apps, and it work. Not sure what is the cause but atleast it work now for me (open one window and play music / movie at background while waze running seem to be solution for me)
wulfredz

Postby DrBlast33 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:24 am

I have the same issue with my S4, stock rooted/deodexed. The only way to fix is to use Waze in multimode mode.
DrBlast33

Postby stevie0 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:12 am

How do you disable Waze for multi window mode?

Edit: Found out how to disable Waze for multi window mode but it didn't help in my case.

But I found a workaround: With multi window mode activated for Waze it's enough to run Waze and start another app in multi window mode. With both Windows open Waze does not show the black screen. You can then minimize the other app. I know it's not the ideal solution but it at least allows me to use Waze again on my N7000 using Sweet ROM.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk 4 Beta
stevie0

Postby kentonn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:57 pm

I had the same black screen problem when using the report feature. I finally figured out what was causing the problem on my phone. I am using a rooted S4 with multi window manager. The problem occurs when I enable Waze for multi window mode. When disabled, Waze works perfectly.
kentonn

Postby GMBash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Me too!

Sweet ROM 4.1.2 and I've tried stock kernels so don't fob us off with a no support for custom roms.

Thing is I like the app so much I still report and then switch off and relaunch :mrgreen:

Maybe Google will fix it now they've bought you? :ugeek:
GMBash

Postby Chewee91 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Not a real solution but....

After flashing a wrong zip fil through my recovery, i get bootloop so i had too flash back a firmware (MDM on S4 I9505), then do a factory reset before restore my data with titanium and....

Waze it's working again, no black screen at all.... I have not find the real origin for this bug, but now all works fine (independantly of app update)....
Chewee91

Next

Return to Waze App