How (and when) does sound work?

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

How (and when) does sound work?

Postby twentw » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm using an iPhone 5. When am I supposed to hear sound? I can usually hear it when the app is actually open, but what about when other apps are open? It seems to me that I should here notifications whenever I'm in any other app (such as a music app - I use Spotify - or a reading app - when I'm not driving). But it seems sporadic at best. I know my volume is all the way up in Waze, and I have the correct setting to use bluetooth or built-in speaker. Any ideas or is this maybe a Waze bug?
twentw

Re: How (and when) does sound work?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 am

When Waze is set to output to speaker, it should always output to speaker if it is the foreground app, and it will pause the audio. When it is set to output to speaker and another app like Music is in the foreground, which is playing music over BT, I believe Waze will output over BT as well, but will duck the Music audio instead of pause it. There are a set of settings and features/restrictions available in both Waze and iOS, as well as perhaps still some bugs in Waze or missing features, which conspire to make output of audio sometimes frustrating.

If you can describe in more detail the exact audio settings (output to speaker or output to BT in Waze are opposite settings; both cannot be enabled at the same time), devices attached/connected, and other apps which are running audio and which app is in the foreground, then I can offer more advice from experience.

Also, what is your desired output method for Waze?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby maxvo2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 am

I'm going to piggyback on this post since my question is at least related...

I've been using WAZE for a couple of months. Lately I've had issues with the Device volume going so low that I can't hear anything at ambient noise levels.

The final straw now is I can't get any audio to work. The DEVICE and PROMPTs are both turned up. Nav guidance is set to minimal; Play sound to phone speaker is ON; Prefer Bluetooth is OFF.

The SPEAKER at the bar in the MENU window is not disabled.

I tried reloading the application but the only thing I accomplished in doing that was I lost my usual destinations.

Any help with this puzzle is really appreciated.

The DEVICE is an iphone 4. The ringer volume is ON and the level has been maxed out.
maxvo2

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 am

Adjust the real output volume when it is playing sound, or waiting for voice command input. It's the only way to access it within Waze. (FYI, other apps adjust this audio setting when Waze isn't running, like games.)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby maxvo2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:22 am

Sorry, the missing sound issue was not limited to Waze.

It turns out all app sound didn't work on the iphone. I rebooted the phone and all appears normal.

I realized I had a phone problem when I couldn't pick up voice mail...

Thanks,
maxvo2

Postby twentw » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm

I've found the problem to be intermittent. Sometimes it works fine, other times not. One thing that may be an issue - there are only two output choices in Waze - bluetooth or built-in speaker. There is no selection for digital audio output, which is how I listen to music. This may be a source of some of my issues.
twentw

Postby AggieJM » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:06 pm

I've noticed some issues with the sound options on Waze 3.6 on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.1.2.

I've always had the "Play sound to phone speaker" option set to 'On'. When playing music from my phone through my radio (connected via USB), it would briefly lower the music to play the sound from Waze through the radio speakers. With the current version, it appears to stop the music and it will not restart when the Waze sound has played. It appears that the radio can't re-establish a connection with the phone. The small arrow on the top toolbar of the phone that appears when playing music will just flash on, then off quickly each time you hit play to try and resume the music. I either have to disconnect the USB cable and reconnect and I've had a couple of instances where I had to shut down Waze and restart.

I changed the "Play sound to phone speaker" option to 'Off', and now it just lowers the music volume while it plays the sounds, then raises the volume back up at the end. Looks like it will work this way for me, just wanted to see if others had the same problem that might indicate a bug.

Also, has anyone else noticed that their non-Waze sound volume is affected while Waze is running? If I'm using Waze to navigate, I have my phone plugged into USB through the radio to charge. When it's plugged in, the Sound menu in Waze will not show a 'Device Volume' slider. If I'm just listening to the radio (not playing music from my phone), text message notifications and other system sounds are inaudible. The volume on my phone is maxed out before opening Waze, so I'm not sure how to increase the volume while Waze is running since there is no slider.
AT&T iPhone 6s iOS 9.3.2
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Flamewinger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:03 am

Since the latest upgrade I to, have not been able to hear prompts and other sounds through my vehicle's Bluetooth system. I can hear music from the iPod and other sounds and using the phone is fine. Have tried all settings and no change. Something got broken at last update?
Flamewinger

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 am

Flamewinger wrote:Something got broken at last update?

Do you have audio muted? Main menu, small icon at the top.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby rjjarvis » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey, I'm having trouble with sound too on my Motorola Roadster bluetooth speakerphone. Waze worked before, but with the update it doesn't. The phone pairs fine, and every other audio source works, including Apple Maps, MapQuest, music, etc.

Someone asked one of the forum members whether audio is muted, and pointed to a small icon in the main menu. OK I looked at it and my audio IS muted. But I can't find any way to UNmute my audio. Maybe I'm just being stupid, but it is certainly not intuitive (i.e., nothing happens when you touch the icon), and there does not seem to be a settings choice in any logical place.) S

So, how do I unmute (and why am I suddenly muted in the first place, when that never happened in prior versions of Waze)?

Thanks
rjjarvis

Next

Return to Waze App