These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

How (and when) does sound work?

Post by twentw
I'm using an iPhone 5. When am I supposed to hear sound? I can usually hear it when the app is actually open, but what about when other apps are open? It seems to me that I should here notifications whenever I'm in any other app (such as a music app - I use Spotify - or a reading app - when I'm not driving). But it seems sporadic at best. I know my volume is all the way up in Waze, and I have the correct setting to use bluetooth or built-in speaker. Any ideas or is this maybe a Waze bug?
twentw

POSTER_ID:14425961

Send a message

Post by twentw
I've found the problem to be intermittent. Sometimes it works fine, other times not. One thing that may be an issue - there are only two output choices in Waze - bluetooth or built-in speaker. There is no selection for digital audio output, which is how I listen to music. This may be a source of some of my issues.
twentw
Send a message

Post by SocalToe
I've sent logs every time...........

3 tickets so far, (no response on 4th yet)

Last time it looks like they were blaming it on the SD card as this was the final response:

"In some phones, Waze cannot function properly on the SD card, which is why we recommend installing it ONLY on the phone's main memory."

I don't have the memory to NOT have it on the SD card and never had this problem before 3.6

I was just posting here so that if other people are having the same problem, they'd chime in and Waze might actually try to fix the problem
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
No!

All sound just goes away (including the sound effects)
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
Lost all sound again.........

That makes 4 times
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
Complete loss of ALL sound for the 3rd time (seems to happen every couple of weeks)

Worked yesterday, not working today.

Last time I thought that maybe some updates to other apps may have been a problem.

But this time there wasn't any updates to anything since yesterday.

This is really bad as the only way to fix the problem is to completely remove waze then reinstall from scratch.....
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
Lost all sound again today.

Had to completely remove Waze (make sure you get the waze dir on SD card) and reinstall to fix.

One note:

Yesterday I installed updates of the GasBuddy and 'Easy Installer - Install apk'

apps
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
SocalToe wrote:All sound just quit working for me today, was fine yesterday.

Android 2.3.4

No bluetooth involved.

I've toggled guidance to various values, toggled 'route sound to speaker', rebooted phone, pulled battery, went back to last beta, then 3.6 again......

I can't get any sound to work today for waze.....

Is there anything in preference file I can check?

Fixed it (short version):

Uninstalled waze
attached phone to pc, deleted waze directory from sd card, detached phone from PC
Re-installed waze
Started waze, it initialized, sound working again.

little more detail:
Deletion of the waze directory from SD card was necessary because waze wouldn't initialize after the re-installation unless I removed the waze directory.
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
SocalToe wrote:All sound just quit working for me today, was fine yesterday.
And you don't have the mute turned on in the Main menu at the top?
Nope.

Does the volume slider in the app make noise when you slide it? Mine currently isn't and I don't remember if it did or not. I know that usually volume sliders will make noises when you move them so you can hear what the volume is.
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
All sound just quit working for me today, was fine yesterday.

Android 2.3.4

No bluetooth involved.

I've toggled guidance to various values, toggled 'route sound to speaker', rebooted phone, pulled battery, went back to last beta, then 3.6 again......

I can't get any sound to work today for waze.....

Is there anything in preference file I can check?
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed