No client turn instruction with only enabled turn of 2+

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

No client turn instruction with only enabled turn of 2+

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 pm

[I posted this separate of the 3.6 feedback thread because I am unclear if it is a client or back-end routing issue.]

At the meetup last weekend bgodette and I noticed as we drove through this intersection it failed to provide a right turn instruction into the cloverleaf. This is a pretty common bowtie layout for these interchanges to prevent through traffic from getting off and on the freeway. These interchanges are common in California and I have been ensuring most of them have this bowtie restricted straight through route set up. They have been working fine for months.

We were not sure why the problem happened here, so we came up with the hidden stub turn from that junction that provides a choice forcing the routing engine or client to announce which of the active turns to make.

Today when I drove through this intersection, for the first time since I created this junction many months ago, I did not get the right turn instruction. I have gotten it every time I have gone through here until today.

Something has changed in either the routing engine or latest client. I am pretty sure this is the first time I have driven through here with the latest client. I am not sure if the editor has received any minor updates (prior to the beta release version going live). My assumption is this came from the latest client release or is a change in the routing engine (for which we have no visibility). I think this change breaks functionality in the client that used to work as desired and we should push it as a bug back to Waze rather than changing all the bowtie freeway intersections like bgodette and I did in Sunnyvale above.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: No client turn instruction with only enabled turn of 2+

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I have a question about that:

Since you're restricting one turn out of two possibilities, aren't you effectively creating a "straight road"? If that's the case, I'm wondering if Waze has changed something that goes along the lines of no instructions given for straight roads (like crossing a street and street names change).

Then, if THAT'S the case, why have the node there connecting those four junctions? Why not get rid of the nodes and have the two exit segments just cross each other without connecting them?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Jhfrontz brought up this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38469
I thought it had always been like this, but I don't drive through a configuration like this often. The hacks to force an instruction are kind of ugly.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 pm

txemt wrote:Then, if THAT'S the case, why have the node there connecting those four junctions? Why not get rid of the nodes and have the two exit segments just cross each other without connecting them?

1) Typically only the off/on turn is restricted. In other words the on clover leaf ramp into the junction typically has both turns enabled to allow a clover U turn.
2) Most people seem to want the turn instruction there.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 pm

CBenson wrote:
txemt wrote:Then, if THAT'S the case, why have the node there connecting those four junctions? Why not get rid of the nodes and have the two exit segments just cross each other without connecting them?

1) Typically only the off/on turn is restricted. In other words the on clover leaf ramp into the junction typically has both turns enabled to allow a clover U turn.

I get that, but by making the left "turn" restricted, aren't your pretty much creating a straight segment?
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Yes for this segment.
No for this segment because typically you don't restrict the right turn so as to allow the clover U.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

CBenson wrote:No for this segment because typically you don't restrict the right turn so as to allow the clover U.

IMO, 99.9% of the drivers who take that cloverleaf aren't doing it to make a 180 degree turn. They're taking that part of the cloverleaf for the exit (road) that they need to take. I understand that there will be a small majority (I'm guilty of this thanks to stupid dispatchers) will take the cloverleaf to make the "u-turn."
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Agreed. I'm just pointing out you won't be routed that way without the junction.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 pm

So...why not just delete the node and have the roads cross without a node there? For the 0.01% of the drivers that need/want to make the "u-turn" they'll have to suffer through it and realize you can actually make the turn.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 am

I've verified that the hack with three segments doesn't work either.

Parent segment: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-121.9 ... s=71577185

Livemap route with nav addon shows no "stay right" at the triple junction: http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&lo ... g=57805359
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze App