iOS6 Does Not Provide True GPS Location to Waze

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS6 Does Not Provide True GPS Location to Waze

Postby kristin_wester » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:45 pm

sketch wrote:It could potentially be a problem with Apple's software or firmware, but it's not a problem with Waze.

well I sure have a problem. I will check further with Apple
Thanks again!
kristin_wester

Postby sketch » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:11 pm

It could potentially be a problem with Apple's software or firmware, but it's not a problem with Waze.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kristin_wester » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:10 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Waze does use the GPS in the phone. That's why I suggested that you mount your GPS under the windshield so there's nothing between your device and the sky other than the glass.

Sorry missed that part, Yes it got "blue sky"-connection in the windshield :D
For me I first noticed this problem when I upgraded to the iOS6.1.3, why I assumed that it was a sw bug of some sort...

thanks again :)
kristin_wester

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Waze does use the GPS in the phone. That's why I suggested that you mount your GPS under the windshield so there's nothing between your device and the sky other than the glass.
jasonh300

Postby kristin_wester » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
kristin_wester wrote:I dont follow you here, do you mean that I have a hw problem rather then sw?...
What I know is that I have this problem every time Im using waze (which is daily).
Any tips on how I can make it go away?
ps thanks for your effort!

Unless I misunderstood the Apple Maps screenshot you posted above, it also has the same problem. So that's why I'm thinking a hardware issue. That's where your GPS thinks you actually are. You could also try pulling up your location on the Google Maps app, or any other to see what your position is. If it's inaccurate like that, it points to a GPS issue.

Do you have your iPhone mounted under your windshield, so that it has a clear "view" of the sky? If it's in a cupholder, or in your lap, underneath the roof of the car, that can block some of the GPS signals and cause all sorts of location problems.

Which iPhone do you have?

My thoughts was that Waze was using the GPS in the phone... and that that was the problem.
I havent checked with google, will do that!

This is the most crazy positioning problems I have, I also have the problem with that my car "jumps" to smaller roads when I pass. (The road could be in an complete different angle). And then I get instructions to turn left and right all though Im allready on the right track
kristin_wester

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:47 pm

kristin_wester wrote:I dont follow you here, do you mean that I have a hw problem rather then sw?...
What I know is that I have this problem every time Im using waze (which is daily).

Unless I misunderstood the Apple Maps screenshot you posted above, it also has the same problem. So that's why I'm thinking a hardware issue. That's where your GPS thinks you actually are. You could also try pulling up your location on the Google Maps app, or any other to see what your position is. If it's inaccurate like that, it points to a GPS issue.

Do you have your iPhone mounted under your windshield, so that it has a clear "view" of the sky? If it's in a cupholder, or in your lap, underneath the roof of the car, that can block some of the GPS signals and cause all sorts of location problems.

Which iPhone do you have?
jasonh300

Postby kristin_wester » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:42 pm

jasonh300 wrote:@kristin_wester

That's almost certainly a GPS connection problem, rather than the Apple Maps Location bug.

The Apple Maps bug really only presented itself when looking at the tracks in the editor. From what I saw of it, it didn't affect screen display.

I dont follow you here, do you mean that I have a hw problem rather then sw?...
kristin_wester

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:31 pm

@kristin_wester

That's almost certainly a GPS connection problem, rather than the Apple Maps Location bug.

The Apple Maps bug really only presented itself when looking at the tracks in the editor. From what I saw of it, it didn't affect screen display.
jasonh300

Postby kristin_wester » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:46 pm

And with waze
Attachments
waze-bild.jpg
(130.09 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
kristin_wester

Postby kristin_wester » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 pm

sketch wrote:Could you post a screenshot of Apple Maps in that same location?

This may be a different problem.

I caught an other drive and did that...
They are differently oriented and it might be like 2 minutes between the shots, but it is in the same spot :D First with iPhonw map
Attachments
iPhone.jpg
(26.79 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
kristin_wester

Next

Return to Waze App