One click to view traffic?

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: One click to view traffic?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 pm

fvwazing wrote:The line at the bottom, with the finishflag, shows there is no congestion on my route. Is that what you are looking for?

That would be nice, but that bar never shows anything but clear unless it is a new route selection. Otherwise, it's empty.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 am

The bar is not (only) about Facebook, it was just "misused" to also show any FB friends heading up to the same destination (if your client is connected to FB, you can see the difference on my screenshots if it is not). The bar's functionality is already there, in the client, just that it is used only prior to the initial route confirmation:
SC20130320-083813_.png
SC20130320-083813_.png (54.45 KiB) Viewed 609 times

and not also after tapping the ETA bar (which would be a straightforward way to show it):
SC20130320-083825_.png
SC20130320-083825_.png (53.14 KiB) Viewed 609 times

Possibly minor code changes are necessary to add it for the (or some) next version.

gettingthere wrote:I would suspect that TomTom has a patent on their traffic bar in their App and PND's. Waze probably can't just copy it without paying a licensing fee. I could be wrong, I didn't search for any patents.

Then already the existing bar would be breaching the patent. Except that the patent would only cover showing the bar during the navigation, but not prior to it.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new crashing Android 3.7.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:47 am

The line at the bottom, with the finishflag, shows there is no congestion on my route. Is that what you are looking for?
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am

I was talking about the useless traffic-bar JUST ABOVE the useless Facebook-bar.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby gettingthere » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:46 am

I would suspect that TomTom has a patent on their traffic bar in their App and PND's. Waze probably can't just copy it without paying a licensing fee. I could be wrong, I didn't search for any patents.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

One click to view traffic?

Postby loudmatt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:50 am

I'm can't seem to find a way to have one click to view the traffic on my current route without looking at the routes button? Is there a way to do that, or could that be something that could show up in the client after clicking on the ETA that shows others on their way?
loudmatt

Postby xd-data-ii » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:48 am

loudmatt wrote:I'm can't seem to find a way to have one click to view the traffic on my current route without looking at the routes button? Is there a way to do that, or could that be something that could show up in the client after clicking on the ETA that shows others on their way?

There is no other way.
It's a huge huge flaw in the app and one of the biggest failings in an essential and obvious feature that core of the app intends to be and misses. And the developers seem to have no interest in adding it. They need to look at how tomtom does it, copy it and improve on it.
It needs the traffic bar feature and a one click traffic on route detailing.
Something like this should be added to swiping up the left and right bottom buttons (preferably customizable).
xd-data-ii

Postby xd-data-ii » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 am

fvwazing wrote:Image

The line at the bottom, with the finishflag, shows there is no congestion on my route. Is that what you are looking for?

After a route is selected that useless bar is to tell you if you have other Facebook etc friends driving to the same destination as you and where they are. It's nonsense
xd-data-ii

Postby xd-data-ii » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:45 pm

That bar with the finishing flag is the Facebook bar. It is not a traffic bar. It is to see your friends going to the same destination and if (like 99.8% of people) there are not other people linked going to the same place it is always empty and wastes screen space.
There is no traffic bar on your image. You can only see one when you create a navigation route, and can then only get it back by the multiple tap process of going to the routes screen. But that's not a real solution as it is a recalculation screen
xd-data-ii

Postby xd-data-ii » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:18 am

Well use the basic idea and come up with something similar that works. Others have something similar. It's nothing special really. Many nav devices have a progress bar showing traffic events ahead and the journey delay and the distance to the next event.
Doubt there is a patent and if it is an issue.
xd-data-ii

Return to Waze App