These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Downloading maps... and STORING them!

Post by craiginsd
I've asked this before, but have never heard a response: I cannot understand the logic of Waze using a map database that cannot be downloaded for future use. With so many live events and traffic updates, it seems very clear that the bandwidth would be put to much better use concentrating on those elements that make Waze unique, and NOT burdening people's data plans with continuous map downloads. Why not allow the option to download maps and store them? That's not a rhetorical question... I'd really like to know if there's some reason this isn't facilitated. Navigon and any number of other navigation programs permit (or demand) that maps be downloaded to the device, so why not Waze. I would still like Waze to support real-time map downloads as necessary, but for most people who drive the same routes frequently, there is no need that I can see for those maps not to locally stored. That way, Waze could concentrate on better use of its available bandwidth.
craiginsd

POSTER_ID:2945075

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Something like 20+% of map tiles change daily. It's likely that there are updates quite regularly which would require downloading anyway. As for why Waze doesn't cache more map data anyway, they've never really answered that.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by cbwierda
Aren't the tiles cached?
cbwierda
Send a message
Traveller
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Post by craiginsd
Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to hear something official from Waze support, as it appears Alan is. I do have trouble believing the map database is so immature or unstable as to need updating across 20% of the database each day. Were that the case, other programs that use preloaded maps would be sending people into all kinds of trouble! If the tiles ar indeed cached, it would be nice to have some control over the size of the cache, but I still contend that downloading first, then updating as necessary is the way to go. For instance, when I travel overseas, I either need to buy an expensive international data plan, or do without Waze. I'd certainly rather download the maps ahead of the trip, so that I have them in areas of poor reception, and when/if I DO opt-in for the international data plan, I'm not needlessly paying for map downloads I could've done at home!
craiginsd
Send a message