These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by jdersch
I also have a RAZR HD and see crashes daily.
I confirmed that turning Accessibility to Off does indeed stop the crashes, but no one should have to choose one app over another non-related app.
jdersch
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
I can confirm this behavior as well. I turned off the accessibility setting for Light Flow this morning before my drive in and had no issues. What is more interesting to me is that only some of the ads trigger the crash. I noticed for example that the Home Depot ad came thru just fine yesterday (before I turned accessibility off), but had other crashes. Last night, in experimenting with the accessibility, I noticed that instead of the normal crash when I stopped in my driveway, I got a Geico ad instead. Coincidence? Not likely, since I have never before seen that ad!
Ad services aside, there should clearly be some fairly easy way for waze to troubleshoot why this behavior is triggered by accessing the scoreboard. That has nothing to do with ads, and has everything to do with the code that feeds the scoreboard display/data.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
Wow. This seems fixed (at least this morning).
I had no crashes with Light Flow "accessibility" set to on.
Once I stopped at my destination, I was able to successfully access the "Scoreboard" which previously always caused a crash!
WooHoo!
One would think that fixing whatever was causing the crash would be acknowledged somewhere! I checked the waze bugzilla database and nothing...
In any case, I am ecstatic that they seem to now have fixed this! :D
Now hopefully it STAYS fixed.
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
jdeyoung wrote:Wow. This seems fixed (at least this morning).
I had no crashes with Light Flow "accessibility" set to on.
Once I stopped at my destination, I was able to successfully access the "Scoreboard" which previously always caused a crash!
WooHoo!
One would think that fixing whatever was causing the crash would be acknowledged somewhere! I checked the waze bugzilla database and nothing...
In any case, I am ecstatic that they seem to now have fixed this! :D
Now hopefully it STAYS fixed.
Alas, it didn't stay "fixed". Crashes reappeared yesterday afternoon and again this morning.
But hopefully this means a fix is getting closer?
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
2 oddities, and not sure if how directly this is related to the other "crashing" reasons. Even while driving there are the occasional icons/banners that show that a sponsored advertiser is "close". I have for example seen a "home depot" logo appear. In other cases I only see a backwards E. Clicking on it does cause waze to crash, but clearly the ability to show a sponsor's logo is compromised.
Also, when I get a prompt for "are you in traffic" and respond "yes", the report is NEVER able to send - since it "cannot locate alert point". If I immediately report a traffic problem, there is no issue. So, it seems waze is unable to retrieve the current GPS location when waze itself initiates the "traffic alert" request? Wonder if these 2 things are related...
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
CBenson wrote:Are you on a Moto Droid Razr Maxx HD as well?
I can click on the backwards E and the ad to download the NEW single from hip hop legend Eminem comes up without issue. So this still seems to be some software conflict.
Undoubtedly this is still related to Accessibility=On for Light Flow - which I have not seen acknowledged by waze. Hoping that in the beta release I can get some traction on this.
I'm guessing that there is some call that the client is making for "current GPS location" under certain circumstances that is causing the failure - especially since there is a "failure" recorded when waze auto-senses slowdown in traffic. Tho this wouldn't exactly explain the failure to show scoreboard and other settings... Sigh.
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
Somehow I think waze actually has no interest in fixing this - or they deem it a "bug" of the Razr Maxx HD. I just got an auto-update of waze - and tried to do a help->about to find out what the version got updated too - and CRASH. Just like always.
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
I had previously reported this as a bug and the situation was indeed due to any app using the accessibility option turned on - lightflow being just one example.
With an acknowledgement that they were able to reproduce the condition (a VERY large step in identifying the fix) - I followed up after the most recent release which hadn't yet fixed it. Long-winded way of saying - as near as I can tell it IS fixed in the most recent beta. YEAH!
So, please be patient a bit longer and you should see it when the next release arrives on Android. If have no information on when that might be, but it usually is not terribly long once they have a build stable enough to send to beta testers.
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
olorin2 wrote:Well, I turned on my Accessibility option for Light Flow this morning and saw no crashes on the way to work. Also, I was able to navigate through all the features without a crash as well.

So, assuming this was fixed, it was apparently something that didn't need to be updated on the phone? I never saw an actual Waze update that needed to be downloaded. I wonder why the devs wouldn't post here about a major bug being fixed - something that's been going on for over a year.

In any case, I'm really happy that this appears to be resolved. :)
Without any real feedback on what the problem was (from waze), I assume there were 2 parts - one with the client and one with the display infrastructure needed for scoreboard and ad serving (as at least 2 examples where the crash was easily reproduce-able). Fixing the client probably was needed before they were able to fix the other piece(s). If they really fixed everything on their side, that's even better - but it will definitely be fixed once and for all with the next client release. Yeah! :D
jdeyoung
Send a message

Post by memebag
This makes sense now. I started seeing the crashes on my Motorola Razr HD after I set up my Pebble watch. I use Pebble Notifier that has to have permissions turned on in the Accessibility screen.

Sorry, Waze. If I have to pick, I'll ditch you and stick with my Pebble watch.
memebag
Send a message