These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Constant crashes on Moto Droid Razr Maxx HD

Post by olorin2
Hello All:

I previously had Waze on an HTC Thunderbolt, running Honeycomb, with no issues at all. I don't think I had 1 crash in the several months it was on that phone. When I upgraded to the Droid Razr Maxx HD, the app automatically downloaded to the phone. But ever since I started using it on the Motorola, I've had constant crashes every time I use it. The phone is running Jellybean 4.1.

Waze will crash every time I go into 'Scoreboard' under 'My Waze' (or Groups, etc). But even more frustrating is the fact that it often crashes when I come to a stop and the map zooms in. I am constantly restarting the app during regular every day commutes.

Do I have a corrupted copy of the app? Like I mentioned, Waze automatically downloaded to my new phone, so I'm not sure if a fresh install would resolve it. Would I need to retain any specific files on my phone if I did re-install it? Or, can I just delete everything and start fresh, and still have all my personal info saved? The version I currently have installed is 3.6.0.0.

Thanks in advance for the help!
olorin2

POSTER_ID:14522532

Send a message

Post by msundog
...bump

I'm a new user on waze and have had problems with crashes. I also use Lightflow, and thru reading these threads have determined it is related to the accessibility settings. I'm using the latest version of waze as of 3/8/14 and I'm hoping someone has discovered a permanent solution other than turning off the accessibility settings of Lightflow. I'm using a Motorola Razr M.
msundog
Send a message

Post by msundog
Great News! I'll cross my fingers for the next release.

I just had to revisit this thread to give an update. Recently LassPass updated their app that added an accessibility setting to the phone. This is now causing Waze to crash as well. I've had Lightflow disabled since my last post, but lastpass I can not live without.
msundog
Send a message

Post by olorin2
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Another Maryland user here. :D I did see a post about the pop-up issue, but honestly I didn't think it was related to my problem. I've actually never seen a pop-up ad while using Waze.

I'd also be happy to compare any settings. And if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.
olorin2
Send a message

Post by olorin2
I believe one of the devs responded about the issue in the Android 3.6 official feedback thread, saying that it was being worked. I think that was about a month and a half ago. I found a few other posts in that thread that I consolidated and re-posted in that same thread yesterday. I think one other person had a Razr Maxx HD and another had an HTC Droid DNA. Not sure about the rest, or if it's even a hardware issue. You know what the RMHD specs are since you own one, and as far as apps I have installed, I don't know if going through each one would be feasible. Suffice to say though I had the exact same apps installed on my Thunderbolt prior to upgrading, and had no problems with Waze. Very frustrating problem indeed.
olorin2
Send a message

Post by olorin2
I've had crashes when stopping a few times in the last week, and I was about to send more logs. Today on my way to work I started getting all the pop-ups suddenly, with no crashing. However, I've had random days where the pop-ups have come through, but the next day I get none and it crashes. Still can't get into the Scoreboard and some other menu items.

I'll keep an eye on it and send my logs if it continues to crash. Thanks for updating us, tripecollie!
olorin2
Send a message

Post by olorin2
Cool, thanks - I'll check out the other thread.

Yeah the pop-ups I saw today were accident and traffic alerts. I've also seen random police alerts on other days. VERY rarely, I'll get an advertisement, but this is probably like once a month or something. lol.
olorin2
Send a message

Post by olorin2
Still having problems on the Moto Razr Maxx HD. I really don't get this app. One day, I will not experience a single crash, and the next day it crashes at every single stop.

Popups still do not work correctly. The other day I got one random popup ad for a Domino's Pizza, and every once in a while I'll get a traffic or police popup. Nothing is ever consistent, but most of the time I see no popups and it still crashes more days than not.

Also still cannot get into the Scoreboard. I've sent logs, but I'm not sure if they're helpful or not. Just sent another set of logs before posting this.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
olorin2
Send a message

Post by olorin2
Hey guys -

I'm very happy to report that I haven't had any problems for a few days now. In fact, a day after I sent my last logs, I drove 50 miles with no crashes! Also, it appears that popups are working more or less correctly (I don't know if I'm seeing them all, but I'm getting them consistently). I drove for the next couple days with no problems as well. I can also access the Scoreboard for the first time in months! This is by far the longest I've gone with no crashes on this phone.

Anyone know if something was changed behind the scenes? I'm just very curious about why the Motorola in particular had so many issues with this app. And in regards to my default browser, I also use Chrome.

I'll update everyone if I see any changes. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying crash-free drives. Thanks to everyone for their help. :)
olorin2
Send a message

Post by olorin2
Okay, so Waze started crashing again after several days of problem-free operation. BUT... I think I have found the reason it had been crashing for so long, and why it stopped and started again suddenly.

I use an app called Light Flow that allows me to set up custom notifications on my phone (blinking LED light, sounds, etc). It's actually the only way I could my Razr Maxx HD to display a blinking notification light when I got text messages. A few days ago, I stopped getting a blinking LED for texts and other things I'd set up, and I couldn't understand what changed.

Light Flow requires an Accessibility option to be turned on so it can access certain apps. This is what it reads under the Accessibility section under Settings:

Allows Light Flow to monitor for new notification events and monitor when certain apps are entered to clear notifications.

Last night I realized this got turned off somehow. So, I switched it back on, and my notification lights started working again.

However... this morning Waze crashed on me during my work commute, just like before. Opened Scoreboad, and it crashed as well. So, remembering that the Light Flow notification problem started about the time Waze began working properly, it occurred to me that Light Flow was causing problems when Accessibility was allowed. So I turned it off again, opened the Waze Scoreboard, and no crash. I then turned Light Flow Accessibility back on, went to Scoreboard and it crashed. I did this several times with the exact same results.

I imagine the reason other people with this phone have had the same problem is because like me, they couldn't get the notification light to blink with 3rd party messaging apps and other apps -- so they installed Light Flow to take care of it. I didn't need this on my previous HTC phone because it didn't support multi color lights - hence no problem with Waze.

So anyway, I'm not sure if this is an issue that Waze can work out, or the Light Flow side. Obviously Light Flow has nothing to do with Waze, so I have no clue why it's causing the crashing.

Any thoughts about this problem?
olorin2
Send a message