Bluetooth sound to car audio

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Bluetooth sound to car audio

Postby ivanpasic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Is it possible to have Waze send audio navigation by bluetooth to car audio the way Google Maps does it on iOS now? I believe there one can turn on bluetooth under sound settings, but I have to change my car audio input to bluetooth. I would like to listen to radio and have the phone interrupt radio when instructions are given, the way Google Maps does it. If this is impossible, is there a place where this can be requested? Thanks!
ivanpasic

Re: Bluetooth sound to car audio

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 am

Turn on the prefer Bluetooth setting in Waze. That works for me.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sheltiemom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 pm

problem 3.0.1 Sound not redirected to bluetooth device even if "Always play sound to speaker" is "off" previously reported as iPhone 4 problem is also happening on the iPhone 5. Also waiving to get voice activation is not working at all. I've tried so many times to waive and/or tap and nothing gets the voice activation started. :cry:
sheltiemom

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm

There's a difference between bluetooth streaming (no interrupting available) and the other, which is like "headset mode" which can interrupt whatever the car stereo is doing.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Dalia_ » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I have an iPhone 5 with the latest OS update and am having the same problem. Waze worked flawlessly via bluetooth before latest Waze update. I've uninstalled and re-installed but it just won't work. At first I thought it might be the phone but music plays and phone calls received and made all work via bluetooth.
Dalia_

Postby caymaninct » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:18 am

I have an iPhone 4 and Bluetooth works great, exactly like what you are looking for. There is a setting to play via Bluetooth. As long as your phone and car radio are synced it should work.
caymaninct

Postby n8nagel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:57 pm

There's a difference between phone audio bluetooth and A2DP which is audio streaming. So you're saying that Waze can "break in" using the phone audio? Or in other words it does not use A2DP but rather the "phone audio" type BT connection? I'll have to experiment with that... would like alerts to play through car speakers, but a) my car is a 2009 and doesn't support A2DP and b) even if it did, I wouldn't be streaming from my phone anyway

My phone is a Motorola Photon Q and I have a 2009 BMW and also an old Jeep but with a newer aftermarket JVC head unit (which does support A2DP but I have that disabled in my phone's profile.) Now you've got me wondering if I've been doing it wrong - both my vehicles are rather loud at speed so having the alerts play through the speakers when possible would be fantastic.

I've also started using Waze nav instead of the built in nav in the BMW... could have saved some money had I known that was going to happen, but the screen is nice for other reasons even if it does look like a cop car inside when I have all my tech fired up!
n8nagel

Postby n8nagel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Followup: I unchecked "Play sound to phone speaker" and let my phone connect to both the Bimmer and the JVC unit in the Heep, then in each vehicle started navigation (but not until I saw the BT icon on my phone change state.) In neither vehicle did the spoken directions play through the stereo speakers; in both cases it played through the phone speakers.

If it is of interest to anyone I can temporarily re-enable A2DP in the Heep and see if it plays that way, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that unless the only in-car entertainment that they use is music streaming from the phone - with any other source you'll lose the voice directions entirely.
n8nagel

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 am

Bluetooth from Waze in my car works fine, but only when the radio is set to Bluetooth. Note that this is also true for Google Maps (or at least it was the last time I used it, which was when it was still Google Navigation). Phone calls via Bluetooth works without the radio being set to Bluetooth. I think that's the difference between whether or not the output is treated as media. If it's treated as media, it needs the car set to Bluetooth. Though I admit that I really haven't done much research into how Bluetooth works, so this is just what it appears from my perspective and may not be entirely accurate.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby n8nagel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:54 am

yes, I think that what that means is that Waze is sending the audio over A2DP Bluetooth connection when it is available, not "phone audio" which is pretty useless for the typical user except in the special case where the user is streaming audio from the phone (mp3s off SD card, Pandora, internet radio, etc.) and actually has the HU input set to "Bluetooth". I'll confirm next time I'm in the Heep but I suspect that that is what's happening.

I did not even think that it would be possible to treat the Waze audio alerts as phone audio, but if it is, that would be fantastic... possible suggestion for the development team?
n8nagel

Next

Return to Waze App