Bluetooth sound to car audio

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Bluetooth sound to car audio

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 am

Turn on the prefer Bluetooth setting in Waze. That works for me.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm

There's a difference between bluetooth streaming (no interrupting available) and the other, which is like "headset mode" which can interrupt whatever the car stereo is doing.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby cbalaban » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:59 pm

I am having exactly the same problem as Dalia_ reporting above. Only since the Aug 28 update. Waze audio has always over-ridden the radio in my Chrysler 300 Bluetooth sound system. Now I get nothing out of Waze through the car. Clearly something changed in the update and I wish I never did the update. I hope the product developers take note. We need some help here. I love Waze.
cbalaban

Postby cbalaban » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:39 am

To Dalia_ and the moderators re the change in Bluetooth audio after the update: before the update Waze audio played over the radio, or when the radi was off. It even played over phone calls. I learned while researching the issue that I could select the media player in my car and play music from my iPhone over my car system. What I learned tonight is that Waze has not gone silent, but it only speaks directions when the media player is active! I'm not technical enough to say exactly why, but that is what changed in the update and it is a BAD THING! Waze should not need the media player on because then it is impossible to use Waze navigation and listen to broadcast or satellite radio at the same time. I hope this was an accidental change and respectfully ask that the developers look into this and rectify it in a bug fix soon. Thank you.
cbalaban

Postby cocobingo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Glad to see that I'm not the only one wanting this feature !
I just got a new car with a bluetooth stereo system and was expecting waze to interrupt my car audio for directions/alerts, but it was not happening.
I am happy to see that nothing is wrong with my setup, but I would also like this as an option. Waze used to work this way on iOS before august 28th if I understand correctly. I'm on Android, but this feature would be really nice on all Waze versions !

Also, some posted here that it worked that way with Google Maps : if this is true (I'll give it a try), then it probably isn't such a dirty hack ?
cocobingo

Postby cocobingo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:57 pm

But are you on iOS or on Android ?
Maybe we could switch cars, or phones ? ;)
cocobingo

Postby cocobingo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 pm

OK, but then you play your music on your phone and stream it via bluetooth to your car stereo ? Then it's normal that Waze interrupts it. If you chose "prefer loudspeaker", you should be fine.
cocobingo

Postby cocobingo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Superfraggle wrote:However with regards to actually interrupting music playing via a CD or car radio, this is much harder, and as shown by the 3rd party apps that allow this and don't always work its not something thats easy to code reliably, so I don't think this will be added due to limitations on android

I've been searching a bit about this issue, and my understanding is that you can code this reliably, and that's what standardized APIs are made for.
The problem is that the car stereo system is configured to interrupt its audio only on phone calls. When I connect my phone to my car via bluetooth, there are two profiles connected : media and phone. The car sereo plays what comes on the media stream when I select the bluetooth source for music, and only interrupts its own audio when the sound comes from the phone stream.
So Waze would have to "fake" its audio stream to send its sound via the voice call stream instead of the media audio stream. That would work, and reliably I believe, but that would be quite dirty coding.
That would be nice as a to have this feature as an option, but I'm not sure that Waze developpers would like to have that kind of "hacks" in their app...
cocobingo

Postby Dalia_ » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I have an iPhone 5 with the latest OS update and am having the same problem. Waze worked flawlessly via bluetooth before latest Waze update. I've uninstalled and re-installed but it just won't work. At first I thought it might be the phone but music plays and phone calls received and made all work via bluetooth.
Dalia_

Postby Dalia_ » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Just when I was about to give up, it's somewhat working again :?: Did not do anything different, all settings are the same. It seems to be intermittent. It worked beautifully before.
Dalia_

Next

Return to Waze App