These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by n8nagel
Maybe this is a difference between the iOS and Android versions of the client... my phone is (obviously, it's a Motorola Photon Q not an iAnything) running Android (JB), and client version is 3.7.2. Only option related that I have is Options -> Sound -> Play sound to phone speaker (no "prefer BT" setting anywhereI have that unchecked but it still does not play sound through phone audio BT connection.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
With my setup - Motorola Photon Q, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.2 - I am getting voice directions over A2DP with my head unit (JVC Arsenal something or other) set to Bluetooth as the source, but NOT over phone audio with any other source selected. Confirmed an hour or so ago and then I promptly disabled A2DP for the Jeep again because I never use it. Maybe if we get better 4G coverage I'll start streaming audio, but I'd really rather have Waze directions be selectable between phone speakers and phone audio - A2DP would not be a desire for me at all.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
Is it possible to make it work that way on Android (please?)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 4
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
That looked like it might work, but unfortunately it simply crashes as soon as I start it on my phone.

You've prompted me to look for another app, but I'm not seeing one (yet) that looks like it does what we want.

Edit: found an app called "SoundAbout" that looked like the feline's posterior - fired up the trial version, got in car, started navigating. Bluetooth (mono) opens the phone audio channel and redirects the A2DP channel to it at all times - not what we want. Bluetooth (mono) (dynamic) seems to be the ticket for the behavior for which we're looking. Unfortunately, there's about a second lag between when the notification starts and the sound starts coming out of the speaker. So, e.g. "In 500 feet, turn right on Studebaker Hawk Road" gets truncated to "...right on Studebaker Hawk Road" which is only marginally useful. (of course, lately I have learned to mistrust the distances read over the audio, but that's a completely separate issue.) Also, the radio drops out, but no sound comes out of the speakers, whenever I get e.g. a "recalculating" warble. Disappointing, as except for the delay, it's perfect. But with the delay, it's unusable.

I'm not really sure if this is an issue with the app or with the particular phone audio connection in my car (2009 BMW, very early production CIC) as it's miserably hot out now and as a result I can't be arsed to try it in my other vehicle (and I don't have a BT headset handy to try it from my couch.) Unfortunately, as that's my primary vehicle, this functionality still isn't useful to me.

Would it be possible to somehow insert a silent "pregap" before all audio notifications, and is this something an end user can do, or would that need to be done by a developer and pushed out to users?

Edit 2: I was poking around in the menus for SoundAbout and there is a separate section for TTS with a selectable delay. You'd think that that was exactly what I was looking for (I'd lose the "warble" but that's OK, it's really the voice directions that I want) and also delaying the voice directions a little would also coincidentally solve the other issue that I was having with Waze at the same time. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get those settings to do anything. So I still don't have a good solution for this issue.

Edit 3: I'm assuming that the above is because Waze is using its own TTS engine and not just generating text and passing it to Android's default TTS engine... correct? Which is making this whole thing more difficult...
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by pictom
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Turn on the prefer Bluetooth setting in Waze. That works for me.
Wow! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions.

Anyone know how to listen to the audio of Waze over the car's Bluetooth radio system?
pictom
Send a message

Post by pictom
Seems the Waze app randomly assigns features. I have a Bluetooth phone that works with my Bluetooth automobile but no option to use Bluetooth Waze.

I have yet to find a reason to use the app over Google maps. Not one.
pictom
Send a message
Attachments

Post by pictom
taco909 wrote:You need to connect your phone to the car as a media player, then turn off "Play sound to phone speaker.
Makes sense but I learned about the feature in a friend's car when his Waze would interrupt the radio and voice out the next direction.
Today, I asked him to provide me step-by-step instructions. He sent me his screenshot and I saw the difference in the apps options.
pictom
Send a message
Attachments

Post by pictom
taco909 wrote:Perhaps he is on iOS.
That is not an available option on Android.
OH. That makes sense. I just asked and friend confired iPhone.

Seems like waze is Operationist. (racist is agaist a race, so they are against an operating system.) :-)

THANK YOU!
pictom
Send a message

Post by pvdn
Riamus wrote:Yeah, there may be a difference from iOS. Android has 2 options - enabled or disabled for playing sound through the phone's speaker. Disabled, it treats the Bluetooth as media in that it will not play through the car speakers unless the radio is set to Bluetooth. It would be nice if there was an option to send it regardless of the radio setting. I don't want to listen to music from the phone so that means I have to use the speaker for audio if I want to listen to the radio (or a CD).

Let me just note here that I have not recently tested this and something may have changed. I'll see about testing it later on today when I leave work.
This is exactly what I have running Android on a Renault bluetooth. There is no way to get notifications on car stereo other the play bluetooth music. Using radio or usb sound it's not working.

Is there any chance this is getting fixed for Android?
pvdn
Send a message
[img]https:///mSz3t[/img]

Post by pvdn
Superfraggle wrote:There are third party apps that allow you to do what you require. Android sorts most of the routing out so whilst possible. I believe it requires hacks to work.
Ok, thanks. Too bad that this option only exists on the IOS version.
Do you know what app does this?
pvdn
Send a message
[img]https:///mSz3t[/img]