These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Battery HOT on Android

Post by holy_joe_722
I've noticed my battery getting VERY HOT while running Waze on my Android phone. Seems this has been an ongoing issue, both with Android (for last several updates) as well as iPhone, based on posts.

I've noticed it with my old Samsung Replenish, but I thought it was due to the tiny processor. I now have an HTC Evo 4g LTE and even with the fast, dual core processor, I'm experiencing the hot battery issue.

I realize that Waze uses a lot of resources (GPS, Data, Screen, Sound, etc) but if I use Google Navigation, I don't see any significant battery heat.

Anybody else want to add to this? Hoping that Waze can figure out a way to resolve this.
holy_joe_722

POSTER_ID:13226995

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Awerner68 wrote:I could not use Waze on longer trips because of this since I would have a drained battery before I reach my destination.
Noted in dozens of threads already. Using Waze really does require a charger. It is the only GPS app which heavily uses data and GPS at the same time. However, also as noted in threads already, the screen is what uses up most of the power. Adding full-time data use and GPS use just exacerbates the situation. Waze is also much more socially-aware, so all those hazards and speed traps and routinely checking for alternate/faster routes is something other GPSes don't do. It would be foolish to expect minimal power consumption using Waze.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Awerner68
My Galaxy Nexus is doing the same. I also notice that the resources used by Waze is far more then Google Maps, so much that the car charger can't keep up and I experience battery drain while on the charger using Waze but when I do the same trip with Google Maps, the battery actually charges.

I could not use Waze on longer trips because of this since I would have a drained battery before I reach my destination.
Awerner68
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
If you want to experience a hot phone try running Ingress (built by Google!). Google Nav doesn't use data as much as Waze does.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by F2-Beamer
I have the same problem.
My Android is so hot after using waze.
I think this is since the last update.
F2-Beamer
Send a message

Post by F2-Beamer
When i play ingress my phone is not so hot as using the waze app.
F2-Beamer
Send a message

Post by holy_joe_722
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Waze is also much more socially-aware, so all those hazards and speed traps and routinely checking for alternate/faster routes is something other GPSes don't do. It would be foolish to expect minimal power consumption using Waze.
Maybe they can add a setting to adjust how often it uses the data to download that info. Seems that if I'm driving a particular route at a certain speed, I don't need traffic, hazard, and speed trap info for areas where I'm not likely to be heading in the very near future (to the sides or behind me). I also don't really need info updated "live" all the time; once every few minutes would be fine if it looked ahead far enough on the route. If it can cut down on the amount of data retrieved, it may cut down power use.
holy_joe_722
Send a message

Post by svx-biker
From my experience it's mainly the screen when being on all the time. I usally turn off the screen and only listen on long distances. When I switch on the screen before entering a city (after a long drive) my android phones are not that hot at all.
svx-biker
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by theclem54
The best solution is to get a phone holder that sits in your air conditioning vent.

Hot phones don't charge. At 55 degrees (with my phone at least) the phone will stop charging to prevent the lithium battery going into thermal runaway.

When I had my phone mounted on the windscreen it would often reach this temperature due to the sun and lack of air flow when running Waze. Since I started mounting it in the air vent, it has both air circulation and has been removed from the hot windscreen area which allows charging and good temperature control.

I don't live in a cold area and this solution works fine for me.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message