Gas updates not going through

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Gas updates not going through

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:46 pm

jpwhitehome wrote:Agreed its annoying. There are 6 gas stations all clustered in a 1/4 stretch of road close to work. I can enter 5 then the 6th always results in Network Connection Error, which is a lie. Wish it would just say over-share or something.

The language is being fixed for the next version, so it is unfortunate that the 5 limit in 5 minutes thing is going to stay. :cry:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jpwhitehome » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:56 am

CrackedLCD wrote:I'm not seeing four, but five prices, then a five minute delay before I can do it again.

I've gone from reporting (or fixing 3rd party prices) at 20-60 stations a day to just a handful because it's so frustrating.

Do they want us to report prices, or not?

Agreed its annoying. There are 6 gas stations all clustered in a 1/4 stretch of road close to work. I can enter 5 then the 6th always results in Network Connection Error, which is a lie. Wish it would just say over-share or something.
jpwhitehome

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 am

I'll take the opposite approach from all the point-misers here and say we ought to be getting 8 points PER GRADE reported, and each grade ought to be reportable separately so I'm not updating prices I cannot see while driving by on the highway. I usually zero-out those prices if they seem old or unlikely to be accurate, but because it's SO DIFFICULT to touch the prices exactly I tend to skip that because it's so frustrating.

In fact, I won't put any faith in the price system at all until they fix these serious annoyances. The gas price reporting screen needs to be larger and clearer, with larger touch-points for each grade so those of us with larger screens aren't struggling. They need to implement a per-grade updating scheme a la Gasbuddy and they need to kill this stupid "Network connection error" which is just a bald faced lie since we know they are restricting us to reporting 5 stations in 5 minutes. I don't mind not getting points beyond a set amount, since that's how Gasbuddy also works… but don't give me an error when I need to update incorrect prices on the go. That's just lame and it makes everyone think it's a toy, which leads to lots of fake prices.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:19 pm

If you see a user continually doing something wrong, let your regional coordinator know about it. They will take care of the problem. I am almost positive from using other gas price sites or apps that some station owners purposely enter incorrect (low) prices to get people to come there. By the time someone gets there and finds out the price is wrong, they may still get gas rather than drive somewhere else. And that is not for points, but for money. It definitely shouldn't be done, but I'm pretty sure it is done from evidence I've seen. We want to get rid of any problems like that as soon as we see them.

One thing to keep in mind about prices as well. Some users will confirm a price that they can see and not verify any other prices. For example, stopping to get gas at a station that keeps diesel on only certain pumps, a user may verify the prices of the main gas types, but won't bother going over to the diesel pumps to find out what that price is. It may be wrong, but because you are confirming all prices or none, the diesel is treated as if it's been confirmed. Another example is for people who verify prices as they drive past without stopping. They'll verify the prices that are shown on the large sign. If some prices aren't on the sign, their verification won't be complete, but will appear to be complete because it's an all or nothing setup. Maybe these aren't what you're seeing, or maybe they are. But if these are what you're seeing, then it probably has nothing to do with the points.

In any case, we do want to reward confirmations or people won't bother and then you have stations with confirmation dates of weeks or months (some stations rarely change their prices unless there is a significant increase or decrease in price). Although I would agree with having the reward be half the amount for updating the data. Of course, then you have the question... are these people just confirming the prices or are they entering the wrong prices. Changing the points won't help if they are entering prices that are wrong.
Riamus

Postby tree_d » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:57 pm

I would like to see NO points earned for simply 'confirming' gas prices, as it seems that TONS of users along my daily route are just 'confirming' clearly incorrect prices for the points.
The whole idea of user-updated prices is for an accurate and up-to-date database - to reward people who clearly have no interest in the whole 'community' aspect of Waze is just absurd. It defeats the purpose entirely.
The fact that you get the same number of points for 'confirming' prices as for actually taking the time to enter the correct prices has led to completely inaccurate prices along my route, and it is frustrating to see the same user names day-in and day-out. Sending a PM to these users is useless as these people clearly have no interest in 'The greater good' only in getting a piddly 8 points per confirmation.
** Frankly, I could care less about 8 points per station, as I can earn several hundred points for about an hours worth of map editing, which is vastly more rewarding and helpful to the community overall.

Just my $0.02

tree_d
tree_d

Postby robwoodruff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:57 am

I drove by 5 gas stations today and all but one had all the prices correct. I corrected the middle octane price at one station and the server took it with out problems.
robwoodruff

Postby Elwoodblues61 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:08 am

Well this explains exactly what I have been experiencing with gas price updates.
Clearly there is room for APP improvement with better feed back to wasers.

My daily commute includes a block with 4 stations plus 2 stations 1km before and after this block.
Prior to 3.7.2 I got the endless SEND spinner and with 3.7.2 i now get 'network error'. But at these times I have confirmed using OOKLA app that my phone has a perfectly good network connection.

From earlier posts it appears that this 'network error' response may be WAZE's method of limiting GAS point allocations. If this is true this is bad for an APP that relies on community feedback to develop and improve.

I don't care how waze choose how points are allocated but the APP should at least provide honest feed back to wazers so they can rely and trust what the WAZE app tells them - including Navigation and Fuel prices.
Elwoodblues61

Postby coastieet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

HI. Anyone else having problems find the 'update' gas prices on 3.7?
Thanks
coastieet

Postby cavenaughgail » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:30 am

I frequently have get a message about no GPS even though everything else in waze is working and I could be driving right by the station. I usually have to hit the gas price report button multiple times to get it to work, and then I am past the station and don't remember the prices.
cavenaughgail

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:17 am

I agree, a message or 0 points would at least be "something" to let us know it's working the way they want it to.

Right now after 5 stations, I get one of three conditions when trying to submit another price:

* it just goes into a holding pattern and never rejects/accepts the price, or

* an error message saying "Sorry Cannot update prices right now", or

* a message saying something about being a Baby Wazer so keep driving to unlock gas prices (!)
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Waze App