These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by orbitc
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Well, I sure wish they had acknowledged it directly in this thread. That information from AtomicNomad which was received via email is what we have been advised. Similar to there being a limit on road reports, the limit for gas price updates was put in place after several cases of abuse of the feature for "points-farming". The app will have a notification about this in the future.

Waze feels that this limit is appropriate for most places, with the exception of some locations which may have 6-8 stations within a mile. However, because Waze expects that drivers are not driving and updating at the same time, it is nearly impossible to stop at 5 stations within 10 minutes. So, this is also, IMO, a feature which assumes drivers are behaving responsibly.
Related to this issue, I would think it would be better if after 5 road reports, you no longer receive points. Until, however many minutes needed to pass to receive points again. This will reduce those abuse and increase those are real.
It's easy to reach 5 reports quickly in NJ traveling on GSP within 5 minutes or miles.

Edited
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by orbitc on Tue May 07, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
AtomicNomad wrote:I think waze already cuts report points after multiple reports.
back in march, while hauling up i89 N, I came up on an accident with
Traffic quickly backing up; so I reported "heavey traffic."
A few minutes later waze popped up and asked if I was in a stand still, which by that time I was.
I selected "yes" and waze put out their own update while crediting me with three
Points.
I guess based on what your saying there Allen, I got three points because waze reported it?
I thought maybe I had hit a time or distance limit.
I believe, you get 5 or 6 reports @ 6 points... beyond that you would NOT be able to report until some time passes.
If you do too many reports too soon, you will get this message:
  • Sorry, you've exceeded the number reports that can be sent by a single user in a short time-frame. Please try again later.
in addition, -please correct me if I'm wrong- you'll get 3 points if you report the same report back to back.
Let's say you saw an accident and reported: 6 pts, little bit further, you saw another one and reported again 3 pts this time.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
davipt wrote:Let me just get one thing straight - 5 stations in 10 minutes? and when one tries the 6th, the client gives 0 points, gives an error, or hangs on the sending spinner? Because today I got the spinner but I'm sure it was network, as the drive was surely not 10 minutes long. My point is that I hope the 6th will return an error or 0 points, never hang on the spinner, because hanging spinners are bad bad bad and it's already enough when there is no network or when the backends are slow and the spinner stays there forever and one needs to restart the client.
I had a similar situation on the first gas station. It said no network. I was getting gas, and when I'm done with gas I tried one last time and it worked???
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by Riamus
If you see a user continually doing something wrong, let your regional coordinator know about it. They will take care of the problem. I am almost positive from using other gas price sites or apps that some station owners purposely enter incorrect (low) prices to get people to come there. By the time someone gets there and finds out the price is wrong, they may still get gas rather than drive somewhere else. And that is not for points, but for money. It definitely shouldn't be done, but I'm pretty sure it is done from evidence I've seen. We want to get rid of any problems like that as soon as we see them.

One thing to keep in mind about prices as well. Some users will confirm a price that they can see and not verify any other prices. For example, stopping to get gas at a station that keeps diesel on only certain pumps, a user may verify the prices of the main gas types, but won't bother going over to the diesel pumps to find out what that price is. It may be wrong, but because you are confirming all prices or none, the diesel is treated as if it's been confirmed. Another example is for people who verify prices as they drive past without stopping. They'll verify the prices that are shown on the large sign. If some prices aren't on the sign, their verification won't be complete, but will appear to be complete because it's an all or nothing setup. Maybe these aren't what you're seeing, or maybe they are. But if these are what you're seeing, then it probably has nothing to do with the points.

In any case, we do want to reward confirmations or people won't bother and then you have stations with confirmation dates of weeks or months (some stations rarely change their prices unless there is a significant increase or decrease in price). Although I would agree with having the reward be half the amount for updating the data. Of course, then you have the question... are these people just confirming the prices or are they entering the wrong prices. Changing the points won't help if they are entering prices that are wrong.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by robwoodruff
I drove by 5 gas stations today and all but one had all the prices correct. I corrected the middle octane price at one station and the server took it with out problems.
robwoodruff
Send a message
robwoodruff

Post by SocalToe
I'm having problems too.

Currently it's stuck at

'Sending update....'

And I'm on WIFI, next to the router................
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
AtomicNomad wrote:Also having issues with waze not finding a network. I have full 4g signal strength, and can surf just fine in safari.What gives........

I've been seeing this problem while I'm at home on wifi before I leave.............
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
I just managed to update some prices...........

:shock:
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by SocalToe
I had to do a total re-install Monday.

I still have the gas price function.
SocalToe
Send a message
Ed

Post by TheDane
Also a problem on the international server - both gas price reporting and connection issues...
TheDane
Send a message